September 27, 2022
iPhone 4 Reception Issue Could be a Software Bug [Video]

iPhone 4 Reception Issue Could be a Software Bug [Video]

Posted June 24, 2010 at 6:45pm · 35 comments · Add Comment
Patrick D Conner
Patrick D Conner - July 5, 2010 at 2:29pm
Just spoke with a Senior Advisor for Apple and they are "NOT" fixing the hardware issue with the phone to keep it from shorting out and dropping calls. I just hung up from him and he said I have 2 weeks to get it to apple for a full refund. They said the fix that is coming out will "Only fix the issue of the bars at the top but will not do anything for dropping out calls when holding it without a case on the phone" He said they will not issue me a free case and that I had to get it on top of the price of the phone. I am taking the iphone back to apple and going with a different phone. Untill they fix the body issue of the phone.
Avelarix
Avelarix - June 25, 2010 at 9:39pm
I have the same issue with iPhone 3G.
edtv82
edtv82 - June 25, 2010 at 6:12pm
how could they miss something like this during the testing? I guess there was just an assumption that AT&T's service was that shitty... (not claiming they have great service). I'm curious if I can cancel my pre order? ??
dean
dean - June 25, 2010 at 5:51pm
just tried on my 8gb 3g iphone running ios 4.0 and the same happens to me the signal bars start to go down 1by 1 got to be firmware issue
edtv82
edtv82 - June 25, 2010 at 6:08pm
I'm gonna have to call BULL SHIT on this poster...
john
john - June 25, 2010 at 9:47am
what did the little red banner at the bottom of the screen say? the phone is not jailbroken? so why does his network provider's name says "Heath" next to the signal bars? Is there really such a network?
tommy
tommy - June 27, 2010 at 12:04am
yeah what a liar. only way to change the network name is by jailbreaking and using something like "make it mine" app from cydia… unless iphone data was restored with itunes from a backup of a previously jailbroken phone :)
challo
challo - June 25, 2010 at 7:20am
I can't replicate this at all with my 3G, running iOS 4.0. And btw, how should the iPhone recognize that you are holding it that way? Is it thinking "Oh you touch my tralala, let's shrink the bars"? - definitely not
Junaid
Junaid - June 25, 2010 at 5:38am
well i have 3gs with ios4 i have tried but not a single bar goes down, even since when i upgraded my bars are always on 5, never happened in 3.1.3 even most of the time it goes on searching, i think its not iphone issue its cell phone company.
Marcus
Marcus - June 25, 2010 at 1:03am
I have a 3GS with running thw 3.1.3 firmware. I have the same effect, which ich no surprise and obviously has nothing to do with the iphone software! Guess what, when you put your iphone into a lead box, you will have no reception al all. Go complain to Steve on that one:)
Chris
Chris - June 25, 2010 at 12:44am
Totaly stupid! how can it be a software problem when you are touching a physical part of the iphone 4 that does not have any sensor on it? I don't get it... Now everyone can post anything on the web, even if it does not make any sense. My man don't you see that you are covering the hole back of the iphone 3G where the antenna is? of course some bars will go away.
Junaid
Junaid - June 25, 2010 at 5:41am
hey chris, i think you havent seen the structure of iphone 4 the steel band consist of three antinas one for signals , second for wifi, third for bluetooth, see June 7th steve presentation at launching of iphone 4, and that could be the reason, but i believe apple dont make this kinda lauzy thing which cant gets signal even of its tight in hands.
sillydrew
sillydrew - June 24, 2010 at 11:22pm
OK well my iphone 3G doesn't do this and I am running iOS 4. I don't think its iOS 4. I am pretty sure that since those black banks separate the antenna from other antennas when you hold it in that way it is causing interference. If that is not what you think it is then why does my iPhone 3G not do the same thing your iPhone 3G is doing when holding it that way?