December 9, 2022
How to Use Your iPhone as a USB Drive

How to Use Your iPhone as a USB Drive

Posted October 3, 2009 at 3:26pm · 60 comments · Add Comment
jmazz
jmazz - June 7, 2011 at 3:34pm
iPhone 3g iOS 4.2.1 USB Drive successfully creates the partion drive, but then thats it. The 1g of space that I allocated to it is used up, but the virtual drive is nowhere to be found on my computer (PC). Any ideas?
oliver
oliver - May 5, 2011 at 7:01am
Doesn't work on 3G with 4.2.1 When creating a virtual disk a message appears to check the free disk space every time. So no virtual disk can be created. Unfortunately!
oliver
oliver - May 5, 2011 at 7:06am
Found a solution: 1) connect to the iPhone via SSH 2) mkdir /private/var/Volumes/ 3) chown mobile:mobile /private/var/Volumes/ That's it. Creating virtual disks will work then.
oliver
oliver - May 5, 2011 at 7:36am
Hm, unfortunately only Default mode is working. Although I haven't connected the iPhone as USB drive to Linux host successful. Switching modes will end up in a loop (after asking for reboot). Seems there's a security or rights issue in the file system...
andrew
andrew - November 2, 2012 at 10:21pm
andrew
andrew - November 2, 2012 at 10:22pm
thanks bro you just saved me from restoring. i tryd this on my iphone 4 on ios 5.1.1 default and itunes+drive didnt work for me and i gave up before trying only drive. also you can delete the drive from the same location in ifile.
TEVIN WONG
TEVIN WONG - March 28, 2011 at 11:48am
Does it work in IOS 4.2.1
HK
HK - December 17, 2010 at 3:31am
Good app..but the transfer rate is very slow as we are using usb 1.x instead of high-speed 2.x. Any way to imporve this/????
Jeremy
Jeremy - October 6, 2010 at 12:25pm
i tried to create a second virtual disk... for some reason my phone rebooted in the middle of the process and when it came back on the second partition was created (i know because it takes up a large space on the iPhone) BUT inside of USB Drive app it does not appear. so now i cannot figure out how to delete this partition because it isnt even recognized within the USB app. help anyone?
Yannick
Yannick - December 7, 2010 at 10:37pm
Hi Jeremy, I have a similar problem. I created a 1GB volume on my jailbroken iPhone 3G under ios 4.1 After I installed 4.2, I cannot see the 1GB volume anymore, but I am left with 1 less GB storage on the iPhone. Were you able to find a solution to your problem? It might help me solve mine. Does anybody have a clue how to get this 1GB back? Thanks, Yannick
concrdian
concrdian - January 10, 2011 at 6:06pm
Since you'e already jailbroken, you can delete the volume files from the file system using SSH. The volume files are created at /private/var/Volumes/Volume1.img.
jacqui
jacqui - August 11, 2010 at 11:49am
Thanks! this was so easy
whoever
whoever - July 23, 2010 at 5:14am
so -- if I get it right as somebody with wiondows (not my choice, but have to!) I have to decide wether I want itunes-sync OR usb-drive functionality...? Buuuuh! (beyond that: great, and why the hack is apple not doing it itself?)
Robert
Robert - July 16, 2010 at 11:37am
After installing app, if you decide to uninstall it, PTP will not get back to original state. In other words, you cannot transfer pictures to you computer like you used to.
Vickie hodge
Vickie hodge - August 2, 2010 at 7:14pm
How to use your SUB Drive in to a iPod
evanjd14
evanjd14 - May 21, 2010 at 10:23pm
Thank you for the screen shot of the sources uploaded. I added all of them and they work. P.S. When i delete a drive it sometimes does not give me the space back.
hermanator
hermanator - May 22, 2010 at 6:48am
hi i know that problem: to get the empty space back you actually need to empty the bin + restart device + computer. apart from that: brilliant website this - one of the best. thanks
troll
troll - April 11, 2010 at 3:12pm
hi, I got reboot loop while in USB Drive only mode. And my iTunes cannot recognize my phone, therefore I cannot restore it. What can I do to fix? Plz, I'm running with time, because the USB Charge wont work.
troll
troll - April 11, 2010 at 5:19pm
finally figured it out. For those who got the same experience. Just get your phone into recovery mode (I did this on my 3GS 3.1.2) and get the correct version of custom jailbroken firmware. 1. run iTunes 2. Get your phone into recovery mode (NOT DFU mode) 2.a. connect your phone into the usb port (mine was in the state of loop rebooting) 2.b. press and hold both power button on the top and home button at bottom 2.c. in about 6 secs, the phone will turn off. Keep holding both button 2.d. when you see the apple logo, let go the power button on the top. But keep holding home button 2.e. eventually, iTunes will say you are in recovery mode, and your screen will have recovery icon. 3. Restore the firmware. You can refer to posts in the net on how to do this. note. in dfu mode (let go power button after 10 secs), iTunes will say you are in recovery mode too. But in fact, you are in DFU mode, and you wont be able to restore with error 1600. Hope this help.