September 25, 2022
A Detailed Analysis of Apple's New Signal Bars

A Detailed Analysis of Apple's New Signal Bars

Posted July 15, 2010 at 4:40pm · 13 comments · Add Comment
me
me - July 16, 2010 at 12:00pm
not that this solves any reception problems, but the bar-signal strength response is now about the same level as my original iPhone... so Apple saying that the problem with the programming of the bar-signal strength response went as far back as the original iPhone as completely BS!!! f'n liars!!!
Name
Name - July 15, 2010 at 7:14pm
According to this last chart, when the iPhone just drops to 3 bars, an Android phone will be showing 5 bars? Hmmmmmm......
pastaboy
pastaboy - July 15, 2010 at 7:03pm
This is so wrong, almost all GSM networks will not allow a call below -110 dBm and showing bars below that value is a farce. If these readings are correct per anandtech then this iphone software is making a fool of consumers.
Jay
Jay - July 15, 2010 at 6:33pm
Oh...I forgot. If it drops, they tell you to put a rubber on it. How clever. Steve, put a rubber on it, we don't want more idiots in this world.
KnightHawk
KnightHawk - July 15, 2010 at 7:15pm
Here you go! The dumb ass is back!! Speaking about rubber this time...
Jay
Jay - July 15, 2010 at 7:26pm
What the hell are you talking about? I rarely post anything here. You stupid inbred, you should put a rubber also, or maybe I will go cut my own dick off. Yes, I think I will. I don't want my kids to live in a world with morons like you.
islandboy
islandboy - July 15, 2010 at 4:53pm
Sorry, I meant *wool OVER our eyes* lol
islandboy
islandboy - July 15, 2010 at 4:49pm
Lol, this STILL won't help reception issues. This is just something to throw wool under our eyes and try to disguise the fact that Apple will inevitably issue a recall. I will put money on it that is the big announcement tomorrow While my 3gs may be a doorstop atm thanks to new bootrom and os4 ootb, I have the satisfaction in knowing that at least when I DO get JB and unlocked, my calls won't drop as much! To think I was so close to getting an iPhone 4...good thing I held off until next batch is made
D.
D. - July 15, 2010 at 5:16pm
I'm in the same boat and I see the source code is out, so the actual jailbreak is coming pretty soon. But I mean, we'll still have to wait for the unlock even after the jailbreak... lol.. I'd rather make a shitty call that gets dropped than no calls at all.
David
David - July 15, 2010 at 5:38pm
Here's the thing: unless you actually hold your finger/hand over that one spot on the phone, without a case, the reception is, in all circumstances, substantially better than that of the 3GS. So, by flaunting your continued use of the 3GS, you're basically saying that you prefer overall worse performance (*more* dropped calls) in order to be able to grip the phone anywhere you like ... even if the trouble spot is small. This is like saying that you'd prefer a worse camera in the phone as long as it didn't restrict you from putting your finger on the lens. It's one thing to want to improve the phone further, to avoid any trouble spot, but it's another to think that avoiding the phone is the best course of action if you want to minimize dropped calls.
Jay
Jay - July 15, 2010 at 6:23pm
Wow...incredible. I think Apple takes us for fools. The damn phone may show 2 bars, how in hell do you think the tower is suppose to "hear" the device if signal is at -120dBi, unless the phone pumps all of a sudden 5W, draining the battery in 5 minutes and throwing at you radiation or SAR at 5 times the maximum. Tomorrow's speech will be what? Our phone clearly shows 2 bars, it's AT&T's shitty ass network's fault.Yeah...right. Just plain ridiculous. Public pressure.... if Apple does not cave in, shares will suffer. Fix your damn piece of crap Apple.
kb24mvp
kb24mvp - July 15, 2010 at 7:37pm
i updated my iphone 4 to 4.0.1 it fine nuthing really i never have problem with my iphone 4 and no i didnt get the first batch iphone when it release i thing that was only in the first shippment and i touch my phone on the antenna and everywhere esle it doesnt lose any signal only lose if im in area where att signal suck at home i get full bar
Keith
Keith - July 16, 2010 at 1:33am
I'll second that. I'm so glad I waited to get the iPhone 4.