You can find our newly updated tutorials here (more to come):
● Jailbreak 3G (Mac) (Safe)
● Unlock/Jailbreak 2G (Mac) (Safe)
● Unlock/Jailbreak 2G (QuickPwn Windows) (Safe)
● Jailbreak 3G (QuickPwn Windows) (Unsafe if you want to unlock in the future)
● Jailbreak 2G/3G (QuickPwn Mac) (Unsafe for 3G if you want to unlock in the future)
*NOTE: Unfortunately, there is no PwnageTool for Windows yet. That means if you care about a 3G unlock it is NOT safe for Windows users to jailbreak and update to 2.2 yet. If you don't care about a 3G unlock there is a Windows version of QuickPwn linked below.
1. GOLDEN RULE: If you have a 3G iPhone and want potential soft unlock in the near future do NOT use QuickPwn, and do not use the official ipsw or the iTunes update process without using PwnageTool.
2. Read item 1 again and again.
3. At the bottom of this post are the bittorrent files for the latest versions of PwnageTool and QuickPwn.
4. These are suitable for the recent 2.2 release.
5. Please read all parts of this post before downloading and using these tools.
6. The "late 2008" MacBook/air/pro line of computers have an issue with DFU mode, it is possible to go from Pwned 2.1 -> 2.2 but going from stock to Pwned does not work, if in any doubt use a different machine.
7. Choosing the correct tool is crucial. Be warned!
NOTE: "Simple Mode" in PwnageTool currently only works for the iPod Touch. To use PwnageTool foriPhones you will need to use Expert mode. This is a workaround while we make an update and fix this issue. In order to do this you will need to navigate to the "General" window and change two things: Deselect "activate" ONLY if you are normally able to activate through iTunes (but if you wish to "hacktivate" the iPhone using PwnageTool then leave it selected). You will also need to change the partition size to about 1000MB (type in the value or use the slider).
The "baseband" is the generic name given to the internal components of the iPhone that handle the phone calls and Internet access. This "baseband" is a tiny and unique independent computer system that runs inside your iPhone, it is separate to the main system that handles the applications (such as email and google maps) and it talks to the main part of the phone over an internal communications network. Think of it like a cable modem or other peripheral that is attached to your home PC that needs occasional updates. When a software update is released and presented to you within iTunes the baseband is sometimes updated (to fix bugs or add new features). The 2.2 update for the iPhone 3G contains such an update, so running the vanilla updater straight away with iTunes will reprogram and update the baseband. This could be bad for certain people, depending on your ultimate aim.
SIM Free/SP Unlocked/Factory Unlocked iPhone 3G
This applies if you bought your iPhone 3G for $$$$$$$. This model of iPhone 3G doesnt have an Service Provider lock (aka factory unlocked) and you are able to put any SIM card into the phone and get service. Your phone is already unlocked so you do not need to worry about baseband updates, simply upgrade to 2.2 using iTunes and then use QuickPwn to Pwn and Jailbreak. This will add Cydia and Installer too.
Locked iPhone 3G - Preserve Baseband
This applies if you have a locked iPhone 3G and you wish to update to 2.2 but preserve the iPhone's current baseband software. Preserving the baseband will give you the maximum chance for any upcoming software unlock. To upgrade your phone to 2.2 and preserve the state of the baseband you need to create a custom .ipsw with PwnageTool. This custom .ipsw will not contain the baseband update but of course will still allow all the cool new stuff from 2.2.
There are plenty of tutorials about this process on the web, but PwnageTool contains intuitive graphics and easy to follow prompts that should have you up and running in no time at all.
Locked iPhone 3G
If you are using your iPhone with one carrier and have no interest in the possibility of an iPhone 3G unlock in the near future then just restore or upgrade to 2.2 using iTunes and use QuickPwn to Jailbreak and add Cydia and Installer.
Locked iPhone 2G (1st Generation)
Restore your iPhone 2G with iTunes then run QuickPwn to do the magic, nuff said.
iPod Touch 1G (Original iPod Touch)
Update to 2.2 with iTunes and run QuickPwn.
iPod Touch 2G (New iPod Touch)
Sorry, no support at this time.
PwnageTool_2.2.dmg - Mac PwnageTool
QuickPwn_2.2.dmg - Mac QuickPwn
QuickPwn22.zip - Windows QuickPwn
We will be updating our tutorials shortly please stay tuned for step by step instructions!