Apple Says iPhone 4 Uses Wrong Formula to Display Signal Strength

Apple Says iPhone 4 Uses Wrong Formula to Display Signal Strength

Posted July 2, 2010 at 11:42am by iClarified · 33 comments · Add Comment
Roni - July 6, 2010 at 1:14pm
I call f'n BS on the claim that this was incorrect all the way through to the original iPhone. When I compare dB values to bars on my original iPhone, I'm at 4-5 bars at -79, 4 bars between -89 and -81, 3 bars -99 to -91, 2 bars at -105 etc. at the upper ranges it is totally different than what anandtech posted with the iPhone 4. When I cup the bottom back of the original iPhone tightly, I only lose 10 dB. When I cup the bottom back plus put my thumb across the bottom front where the home button is, I lose 15 db. When I cup the front and back bottom tightly I lose 20 db. Nothing even close to the attenuation that the iPhone 4 is experiencing. Apple needs to admit they f'd up big time both in the attenuation AND in the formula, and not try to hide saying the formula was wrong way back when, cuz it wasn't.
roni - July 6, 2010 at 1:16pm
oh, and now once they fix the bars issue, so that if you're at -101 and it shows only 2 bars instead of 4, you're still going to lose the signal once you short the antennas. Software fixes don't fix the root of the problem, Mr. Jobs.
Bsapple - July 2, 2010 at 10:50pm
I love the phone so as everyone else , my friend wants to buy my phone for $800 after I show him the issue. But, please Apple, stop all the BS, just give us a free bumper:) is that most people want?
Alam - July 2, 2010 at 9:56pm
Why did Apple use wrong formula before? ---------- Apple just wanted to make AT&T look better by using wrong formula - More bars in more place.....
Steve - July 2, 2010 at 6:04pm
I'm not typically a conspiracy nut but it sure seems convenient for Apple that the fix for this problem is luckily just a software update. I absolutely believe they will be changing the way the bars are calculated (and more importantly) how they change or update BUT I am not convinced it actually fixes anything. Why is Apple trying to hire antenna specialists if it is just a software glitch?? I'm not buying it :(
Daniel King - July 2, 2010 at 2:20pm
I live in Salt Lake City Utah, and all across the wasatch front AT&T service is phenomenal! I have owned every iPhone so far and dont believe I have ever dropped a call. I have always had full bars and fast 3G. Now with the iPhone 4 I dont believe I have made a successful phone call. All incoming and outgoing calls are eventually droped due to no bars!! Apple you are horrible liars!
Me - July 2, 2010 at 2:59pm
I live in Clearfield, Utah (few miles from Layton) and I have to say, Steve you are the biggest fucking liar if you actually think this is just a incorrect formula incident. Tightly gripped?! I can put just one finger on the strip and it drops down. I was kind of hoping that lawsuit wouldn't pan out but after hearing this BS, I can't wait to see what happens. Tightly gripped my ass! My 3G got better service at my house then my iPhone 4 does. We have it hard enough with AT&T's bullshit 3G issues and now we have to get it from you guys as well. Are you guys just pushing us to move to a different phone? ugh!
prostovanka - July 2, 2010 at 9:14pm
I agree with you completely. I cant even Enjoy 1 phone call. Last few days every since phone call i have has a dropped call.
prostovanka - July 2, 2010 at 2:09pm
This is BULL SHIT!!! What about the HUGE Amount of Dropped calls we been getting. On my iPhone 3GS I only got a dropped cal once a week or so. On iPhone 4 Im getting few dropped calls in a 15 min Conversation. HELLO STOP IGNORING THE ISSUE. This just in from apple: "The shit under the carpet doest stink any more, we sprayed a nice fabreeze smell on it. Have no fears its just a huge pile under the carpet that you will trip over each time you pass it but at least it smells nice now" Wankers!!!
Sunil Issac - July 2, 2010 at 2:01pm
I wish all of you who own an iphone4 return it to apple so that those who really wish to get one would get it faster... Let me hope though no one will fall into this false alarm....
Jeet - July 2, 2010 at 2:01pm
Contact me I have solution for tihs as I have written custom API that work perfectly fine for android 2.2. I can also write similar for IOS 4. Gurantee to work or your money back. I will never work for apple but if they want solution contact me.
Senthil - July 2, 2010 at 1:31pm
Well, I don't care about the bars if my calls were not dropping. Not once but many times. Can't even buy a holder and they all sold out. At times my emails also not downloading. I seriously doubt it is AT&T, I guess it is the IPHONE 4. I also have the 3G phone and never dropped a call.
brittosa - July 2, 2010 at 1:17pm
"Our formula, in many instances, mistakenly displays 2 more bars than it should..." Its hard to imagine this got through their hard-core QA un-noticed. Looks like this was done on purpose but later back-fired.
Prev 1 of 2 Next