February 29, 2024
How to Jailbreak Using a Custom Restore IPSW and RedSn0w (Windows)

How to Jailbreak Using a Custom Restore IPSW and RedSn0w (Windows)
Comments

Posted November 4, 2010 at 1:57am · 22 comments · Add Comment
hairyleprechaun
hairyleprechaun - December 30, 2010 at 8:23am
Thanks iClarified, iPhone Dev team, and everyone else! I just used this article, to upgrade two iPhone 3G (one on 3.1.2 and the other on 4.0.2) to 4.2.1 using a custom firmware created on a MAC and RedSn0w for Windows 0.9.6b6. Both updated successfully while retaining the 05.13.04 baseband and both have also been unlocked successfully. Thanks again!
ter
ter - December 15, 2010 at 8:30am
Hi can anyone confirm this to work to jalbreak an old bootrom 3GS from 4.0 (jailbroken) to 4.2.1 without touching the baseband?
romnag
romnag - November 20, 2010 at 7:22am
The latest version of Redsn0w crashes for me. When I'm on the ram-disk mode, then the program crashes (on window) and says the program stopped work.
vartaxe
vartaxe - November 12, 2010 at 12:03pm
i got the 3g with 4.0.2 from a friend cause he bought the new one... iphone 4. whats the best way for jailbreaking it? limerain greenpoison or that online jailbreak thing? btw is it possible to carrier unlock it? whats that thing everyone talks about called "activation sim card"? do i need such a thing?
dingy
dingy - November 10, 2010 at 11:29pm
I did the jailbreak with limerain, and I try to unlock it with redsnow , everything works, except it is giving me the waiting for activation thing , and it dont read any chip not even at&t . what can I do ? please help.
Tom
Tom - November 9, 2010 at 7:05am
Does redsn0w affect the baseband or should I use Pwnage to update to 4.1??
L.
L. - November 8, 2010 at 3:38pm
Hi, I followed this tutorial, and I keep getting a "iphone could not be restored unkown error 6" everytime and every time i restart the process and after deleting Itunes library and other custom ipsw files from my comp. I'm on a Vista laptop, and right now I'm pretty much out of ideas escept for maybe doing an official Itunes restore...Anybody encounter the same error 6 along the way and if yes, do the experts have any fixes???Thanks
L.
L. - November 8, 2010 at 3:49pm
and just a footnote...I am in Itunes logo screen only, not activated, when I am doing this...is that the problem?
Amila Fonseka
Amila Fonseka - November 5, 2010 at 5:13am
Hello guys, is there a possibility for me to update my 3GS which is on 3.1.3, which i got recently (blackra1ned and relies on unlock), since its not a factory unlocked phone. Since i got it recently there was no ssh saved for anything later than 4.1. Which is the far more reason i need to be more cautious in doing the upgrade a problem free one. So will this work for my situation. Looking forward for an reply and thanks a lot in advance guys....!!!! :-)
Denicay
Denicay - November 9, 2010 at 2:07pm
Same case too. i haven't save SHSH blops for my 3gs 3.1.3, so i'm affraid to jailbreak and loss everything if i do not succeed. By the way, i would like to thank iClarified for those tutorials, and special thanks to Dev-Team too.
zaffar
zaffar - November 5, 2010 at 12:42am
Help pls. I have 3GS new boot room. On 4.0. Firmware.can I use this method to custom 4.1 without updating my basband.when we put original restore file in redsnow, does it not update basband?I appreciate any help thanks.
ESFR09
ESFR09 - November 4, 2010 at 6:36pm
I buy a iPhone 3GS and it comes with new baseband!!!@#@# If I use this Jailbreak with Custom Restore it will downgrade the baseband? Can I unlock or need to wait?
Mes
Mes - November 4, 2010 at 10:20am
----- WARNING ------ ALWAYS use a custom firmware IF you want an unlock. Standard Apple firmwares (ipsw) upgrade the baseband and usually make an unlock impossible. Do not use unless you know what you're doing.
asaadsaleh
asaadsaleh - November 4, 2010 at 5:38am
Hi, if after doing the above with the iphone 4 which is currently on the 4.0.1 will i be able to unlock it using ultrasn0w from cydia? simply? by the way why i'm not seeing any more in cydia: You have SHSHs installed for 3.1.2, 4, 4.0.1?? it used to there in green it disappeared two weeks ago.
MARY
MARY - November 4, 2010 at 11:45am
CAN SOMEONE REPLY PLEASE WHY WHEN I TRY TO USE WINDOWS FOR 3G 4.1 WHEN I GET TO BROWSE IT KEEPS SAYING IT DOESNT RECOGNOZE HELP PLEASE
MARY
MARY - November 4, 2010 at 1:28pm
mudvicious THANK U FOR UR QUICK REPLY BUT U SAY CUSTOM FIRMWARE HOW DO I GET A CUSTOM FIRMWARE I USED THE ONE THAT IS FOR A 3G AND I HAD 4.1 AND WHEN I GOT TO BROWSE IT SAID IT DIDNT RECOGNIZE THE IPSW
Ammar
Ammar - November 4, 2010 at 2:15am
Please i want to know does it work fine from updating my 3GS from 3.1.3 to 4.1 also will i be able to unlock it after
cadiunlock
cadiunlock - November 4, 2010 at 2:23am
Yes sure it's safe from update baseband,work very well.
Kas
Kas - November 4, 2010 at 2:44am
I would not do it... you can update to 4.01 or 4.02 but why 4.1 ? you will probably mess it up and update your baseband. I'm not saying you cannot do it but your question shows that you're not totally into the material. So my advice is just update your 3GS so 4.0 and you'll be fine. If you need help write me an e-mail. Greets
mudvicious
mudvicious - November 4, 2010 at 4:30am
@Kas, i have an iPhone 3G iOS 4.1 jailbroken using Redsnow 0.9.6b1, everything works fine except that my speaker dock no longer working with my iPhone now. i've tried with other, iPhone 4 iOS 4.1 jailbroken using GP RC4 and it works on my speaker dock..... does anyone have the same issue like mine? should i re-jailbreak my device (the 3G) with 0.9.6b2 ? to make it works on my speaker dock ?
sagar
sagar - November 4, 2010 at 7:24am
kas...just a quick question...i m using an iphone 3G...i m planning to update it to 4.1...i know the baseband will be updated to 5.14.2...do u reccomend this??is there any unlock???thanks in advance
mudvicious
mudvicious - November 4, 2010 at 12:42pm
use custom firmware to preserve ur baseband