How to Capture Your iPhone 3GS iBEC and iBSS (Mac) [Updated]

How to Capture Your iPhone 3GS iBEC and iBSS (Mac) [Updated]

Jon - July 13, 2009 at 5:40pm
Guys, just tried to capture the required files using the terminal method. I followed the instructions, the phone was in DFU mode (black screen) and monitored the pawnage folder, the files did not appear at all??? I\'m using a powerbook 1.5GHz, running Tiger with iTunes 8.2. I\'m not a terminal guru, but i notice on the tutorial, after the command has been entered, the top bar of the terminal windows displays -CP-, but when I paste the command into terminal and hit enter, it says -SLEEP- Does this seem right?? A response will be much appreciated :)
JK - July 10, 2009 at 1:00am
The downloaded firmware update \'iPhone2,1_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw\' shows up as a folder when unzipped, rather than as a device update package. So, in iTunes I can\'t select the whole package after Option-Restore. Has anyone encountered this, or what should I do differently?
JK - July 10, 2009 at 1:09am
Forget it. I found it under the Jailbreak: Likno1uvevacen wrote at 2009-07-09 11:31:26 In safari click Safari preferences then general tab. UNCHECK open safe files after downloading. Then REDOWNLOAD THE IPSW FILE. DO NOT UNZIP IT! Change the extension on file from .zip to ipsw. It will ask you for confirmation tell it yes. Then you should be all set.
BonesSK - July 10, 2009 at 12:40am
Found my problem thanks to Spliff on xsellize\'s irc channel - I had been running a beta 3.0 on my old 3G - so my iTunes was a beta - reinstalled a normal itunes and it worked like a charm1
anaq8i - July 9, 2009 at 4:57am
Hi, Is this required for officially unlocked 3GS iPhones? or only for locked 3GS ones?
cayman - July 8, 2009 at 3:42pm
Can this be done a purplera1n jailbroken phone? I\'ve got a bunch of apps. If I follow this tut and get the files, and I restore from backup, will it restore my apps when synced?
Matteo - July 8, 2009 at 1:48pm
Thanks for the tutorial, that was straightforward
jflex - July 6, 2009 at 10:30pm
where is step two?
DistortedLoop - July 6, 2009 at 10:07pm
How large should the captured IBEC and IBSS files be? Mine are 104kb. Sound about right...?
M - July 7, 2009 at 8:45pm
Yeah, mine are also 104kb. Guessing that\'s right then.
DistortedLoop - July 8, 2009 at 10:12am
I figured the same after a bit of googling for the answer, but no one\'s outright said it. Funny thing is every demo of the process I watched on Youtube, the user running the demo didn\'t have the Finder/Explorer window set to show file sizes, or it was hidden off screen. Anyways, the script runs great and did just what it was supposed to. Only hassle for me was the very long time it took to resync 32gb of songs and stuff back after the restore. A low price to pay to be able to re-jailbreak in the future, though.
DistortedLoop - July 8, 2009 at 10:29am
I figured the same after a bit of googling for the answer, but no one\'s outright said it. Would be nice if iClarified clarified that in the how-to. Funny thing is every demo of the process I watched on Youtube, the user running the demo didn\'t have the Finder/Explorer window set to show file sizes, or it was hidden off screen. Anyways, the script runs great and did just what it was supposed to. Only hassle for me was the very long time it took to resync 32gb of songs and stuff back after the restore. A low price to pay to be able to re-jailbreak in the future, though.
Frank - June 26, 2012 at 11:04pm
It obviously makes things easier for the user. One place keeps track of all your purchases and helps you easily find an app for whatever u need to do...
Bob Johnson - July 6, 2009 at 12:47pm
Doesn\'t give me the option to choose a file. \"Are you sure you want to restore the iPhone \"iPhone\" to its factory settings? All of your media and other data will be erased, and the newest version of the iPhone software will be installed. Then there is a Cancel and a Restore and Update button What am I doing wrong?
Jeffrey - July 6, 2009 at 3:43pm
You have to first put the phone in DFU mode, then, when you see the Restore button, you have to Option-Click it to get the Open dialog.
Roy - July 8, 2009 at 2:20pm
Heeey i have the same problem i dont have idea whats wrong!!! because itunes wants to update the iphone and i think this is not good because maybe update to firmware 3.1 ...
Awayze - July 5, 2009 at 7:19am