June 4, 2023
How to Jailbreak Your iPhone 3G Using RedSn0w (Mac) [4.0, 4.0.1]

How to Jailbreak Your iPhone 3G Using RedSn0w (Mac) [4.0, 4.0.1]
Comments

Posted June 21, 2010 at 11:48pm · 81 comments · Add Comment
kerdionu
kerdionu - August 15, 2010 at 1:21pm
it also works perfectly with 4.0.2
amango
amango - July 17, 2010 at 7:45pm
hello folks, made sure to read thru all the threads before posting...i have an unpwned iphone 3g running 3.1.3 and trying to jB (then uL). 1. when i try to update as in step #2, i get the error "iPhone could not be restored because the firmware file is not compatible" -- do i need to update to iOS 4 via iTunes *first* and then begin this process? my understanding is that i would upgrade after going thru these steps. 2. after antennagate, itunes is now updating to iOS 4.0.1 -- will this update work or should i wait for an update from idev team (who i need to thank!)? thanks, in advance, for the help.
aelly
aelly - October 6, 2010 at 10:57pm
i got the same error like urs in 2nd step with 3g in current 3.1.3.. don't know what can be done. hope some1 can help on this. thanks
PHANTOM
PHANTOM - July 17, 2010 at 5:09pm
Hey guys, I need you help. I upgrade my iphone 3G to 4.0 version, it was working great but now, everytime I try to launch youtube I get a message "cannot connect to youtube". I have tried almost everything and nothing works. What could I do? Thank you very much in advance
Johnny H.
Johnny H. - July 13, 2010 at 5:37pm
Be advised that redsn0w 0.9.5 Beta is out. It worked well when I JB my 3G. The previous vers. had some issues with 4.0 OS. Seems to have been fixed. Also, I just noticed the tutorial link to redsn0w is down. iC may be updating the link. Cheers!
PjMahoney
PjMahoney - July 6, 2010 at 4:20pm
New Download link please!!!!
Mukuwa
Mukuwa - July 5, 2010 at 6:57am
Maybe a strange question: do I need to update to iOS 4.0 via iTunes 9.2 first before jailbreaking with RedSnow and then unlocking, or can I run RedSnow with the new IOS 4.0 while my iPhone 3G is still on iOS 3.1.2 with Baseband 4.26.08?
Justin
Justin - July 6, 2010 at 4:50pm
You update via itunes to 4.0 using the method in the tutorial ("Hold down Option and click the Restore button"). I followed this tutorial step by step and it worked fine. Once finished I checked my version and baseband and all was updated to the latest (i.e 4.0 w/ BB 5.13...). I was on 4.26 and firmware 3.0 to start. I'm assuming there is no way to upgrade to 4.0 w/out upgrading the baseband along with it (if there is, this tutorial doesn't cover it). However I jailbroke just fine and then installed Ultrasn0w w/out issue.
mike honcho
mike honcho - July 3, 2010 at 11:29am
Needs a new redsn0w link please.
ed
ed - July 1, 2010 at 6:47pm
After Jailbreaking & unlocking, is there a way to go back to the original locked 4.0 firmware that I'm currently running. I just need to go out of country for 3 weeks, and I need to use another sim on the phone; and when I come back, I want to be able to use my phone the way it is before unlock&jailbreak (feel more comfortable) If the answer is yes, then how do i do this? Restoring in DFU or Recovery? -By doing so, do I lose any data (such as txt, contacts, applications etc) between the time of jailbreaking and restoring to locked firmware (since i have a backup prior to jailbreak) -Can I continue to backup/sync my device the usual way after I jailbreak it? -When I restore the device to the locked firmware, should i use my backup taken prior to jailbreak, or can i just use the one i have while it was jailbroken?
CAPS
CAPS - July 1, 2010 at 6:08pm
Hey guys. Has anyone had troubles downloading ibooks and making it works? I have an iphone 3G on 4.0 version, but it never downloads any ibook and it just crash, it syncs with my Mac but with I try to open it from the iphone, it doesn't work. Do you have any ideas? Thanks for your help.
billybnyc
billybnyc - June 28, 2010 at 5:08pm
I can't seem to get pass the second "Waiting for reboot". Anyone have any ideas?
yasbm
yasbm - June 27, 2010 at 9:00am
Dear all I try the tuto and doesnot work. itunes 9.2 4.0 first ddownload all Firmware and redshow. when i try to use Redshow, saying unable to recognize the firmware try with PWNAGE and itunes dont work. i am sure you need to check the bootloader. it looks like a big issue. i have 3 iphones 3g and 3gs AND both are not working with your tuto lucky i could bring it back to normal. SO GUYS BEFORE DOING IT MAKE SURE THAT YOU HAVE A BACK UP OR YOU WILL BE USELESS ... So just with for spirit or Wait for the blacknr .. mine advice cheers
Justin
Justin - June 26, 2010 at 11:16pm
3G on 3.0 jailbroken/unlocked (BB 4.26) iTunes 9.2 on MAC - Great tutorial first off. However before I attempted the upgrade to 4.0 I disconnected my internet connection in fear that it may reach out to Apple servers and lock me down...sure enough, during step 2, after manually selecting the IPSW to restore from I got the error message: "The iPhone cannot be restored at this moment because the iPhone software update server could not be contacted or is temporarily .." Am I ok to reconnect and continue? What's it need the Apple servers for if I'm restoring from the file? Any insight is appreciated. Thx
Justin
Justin - June 28, 2010 at 8:49pm
In case anyone was wondering: I ended up connecting back to the net and going through with it all. Everything works perfectly fine, followed the tut step for step and everything went just fine. It did upgrade my baseband to 5.13 but I guess that is normal if I'm upgrading the OS to the newest version...? Ultrasn0w currently unlocks the 5.13 baseband so it doesn't matter anyway. Works great (didn't do enable the multitasking though). Now my 3G is updated/jailbroken/unlocked and ready to sell! (Proud owner of the iPhone 4) TUT was great, thanks again.
Emmy
Emmy - June 26, 2010 at 1:12pm
Does anyone else have an issue with tethering after jailbreaking with RedSn0w. I've tried it twice already. First, after the restore of new iOS4, I tried tethering and it seems to work. After jailbreaking, the option exists for the first time, but once I enable the tethering, the option disappears. And even though Itunes asks to update the carrier information, it still doesn't give me the option to tether.
Tony
Tony - June 24, 2010 at 10:22pm
Visual Voicemail not working after Jailbreak. Running iOS4 on iPhone 3G 16GB Black. iTunes 9.2 and OSX 10.6.4
Mynameismud
Mynameismud - June 24, 2010 at 12:58pm
Thank you! This tutorial worked GREAT! Thanks so much for this, it made my JB experience pleasurable. Too bad it took me 2 days of banging my head against forums before I found it. It made me more confident in jailbraking. Everything went smoothly and exactly as the tutorial showed. Thanks again. Hooray multitasking!
matrix
matrix - June 24, 2010 at 7:49am
HELP HELP PLEASE HELP!!! I have an IPhone 3G and it was on OS 3.1 Jailbroken. I am trying to resotre it to IOS 4.0 using the above IPSW and the phone starts restoring and in Itunes the restore does not complete. The status bar is 99 % complete but it does not finish. I have left it running over night to no success. Am I missing something here? Anybody else have similar issues? I am on BaseBand 4.26.08 do you think if I update directly through itunes to 4.0 I will loose the baseband? Any help will be appreciated.
John kelly
John kelly - June 25, 2010 at 5:49am
Yes put iPhone in recovery mode and restore it in iTunes
Mauricio
Mauricio - June 23, 2010 at 7:27pm
Hi, just did the restore on the iPhone, but the home button and the power button doesn't seem to be working at all... sometimes I can turn it off, some times not, if I enter an app I can't get back to the home screen... I was not able to put it into DFU mode yet due to this... anyone has any idea?
Ciprian
Ciprian - June 23, 2010 at 3:28pm
It was because of Winterboard So ... till an update for WB ... I guess is some conflicts between WB and iOs 4
CAPS
CAPS - June 23, 2010 at 10:53am
Hey guys, one big big and I guess stupid question. I have a jb iPhone on 3.0 firmware and 4.26 baseband. Does this tutorial apply or I do need to upgrade to 3.1.2 or 3.1.3 first. Thanks a lot
Mo
Mo - June 23, 2010 at 12:54pm
Nope, you can go ahead and do it directly.
Ciprian
Ciprian - June 23, 2010 at 3:21am
Why multitasking work only in safe mode?
rooney
rooney - June 23, 2010 at 12:27am
I have an iphone 3g which i unlocked and jailbroke using iOS4. the phone works perfectly on T-mobile. The only major problem is that i can no longer use t-zones for my internet. The option to add the APN is no longer available under Networks, can someone please point me to it!!!!
Almiami
Almiami - June 25, 2010 at 7:22pm
You need to go to Cydia and look for APN edit. install it . ET Voila!!!
Shad Gifford
Shad Gifford - June 22, 2010 at 11:59pm
I can't get redsnow to accept the ISPW. I have gone through the process 3 times. Any help?
Shad Gifford
Shad Gifford - June 23, 2010 at 12:11am
Got it!
AlexT
AlexT - June 22, 2010 at 11:06pm
I also am stuck at Step 11, waiting for my iPhone to reboot, and it never does. What do we do???
Michael9009
Michael9009 - June 22, 2010 at 10:16pm
My jailbreak was successful but, when I try to restore from my backup, the phone tries to re-boot and then crashes and will keep on doing so in a loop, forever. What is to be done?
Jeeves
Jeeves - June 22, 2010 at 9:51pm
Flawless. Jailbroke and unlocked. No issues. Everything just works. Done in less then 20 minutes. Cydia has a white icon but once you run cydia it download the right icon. Youtube works. Everything looks good so far. Running t-mobile. Was on 3g/3.1.2.. Thanks Dev Team and iClarifed (perfect instructions). If you follow the instruction as it for both jailbreaking and unlocking you will be fine.
Miguel del Río
Miguel del Río - June 22, 2010 at 2:37pm
Great tutorial. JB and UL an iPhone 3G in a few minutes. Thanks so much! 10000 thumbs up to DevTeam. Amazing work.
Phantom 8666
Phantom 8666 - June 22, 2010 at 1:28pm
Have anyone tried hactivating multitasking? Does iPhone really become too slow? A friend of mine told me works great but I wanna take into account another opinions? What about you who have already upgraded iPhone 3g? Thank you for the answers. Thanks dev- team, we really appreciate this great job
Derivative99
Derivative99 - June 22, 2010 at 3:12pm
I avoided installing the multitasking as it say the 3G will run very slowly. It would be interesting to hear what people are saying who did install the multitasking. With iOS4 I do find my 3G to be slow. Even the animation going back to the home screen, by pressing the home button is not that smooth.
Juan Carlos
Juan Carlos - June 22, 2010 at 4:02pm
Indeed, iphone 3G is greatly affected by the new 4.0 and by enabling multitasking. Sometimes it could take up to 5 seconds to fully open an app. Scrolling is also sluggish. It doesn't really bother me, I for one rather have multitasking than not, but you will definitely notice the slowness as you use your phone.
mike honcho
mike honcho - June 22, 2010 at 8:28pm
i first tried it with the multitasking and it was very slow, i restored again and installed it without the multitaskin and its definitly moving alot smoother. hope this helps
Phantom 8666
Phantom 8666 - June 23, 2010 at 10:40am
Thanks for the comments guys. Really appreciate it and definetely I would do the jb without multitasking, regards
Mo
Mo - June 23, 2010 at 1:04pm
In my case works pretty good. However multitask doesn't really works; when I switch from one app to another doesn't keep running the app that I just left. When I get back to the app start from 0 again.
Mary
Mary - June 22, 2010 at 12:27pm
Itunes 9.2 or 9.1 for this jailbreak?
Mo
Mo - June 23, 2010 at 1:12pm
I did it with iTunes 9.2 and worked just fine.
daimajin
daimajin - June 22, 2010 at 12:14pm
i'm stuck at waiting for reboot screen...nothing happens after waiting for 15 minutes..pls help. thx
Devon
Devon - June 22, 2010 at 12:02pm
will this work for 3gS...any jailbreaks for iOS4 for 3gS yet? Thanks.
Name
Name - June 22, 2010 at 12:38pm
Not coming. 3GS cannot be jailbroken.
Chris
Chris - June 22, 2010 at 9:48am
a 3G jailbroken and locked 3.1.3; 5.12.1 iPhone. After upgrading to iOS4 (following the instructions in the tutorial) the new Red Snow (Jailbreak) and Ultrasnow (Unlock) worked perfectly. Cydia got stuck reloading the sources, but recovered after a couple of restarts. Tha
Chris
Chris - June 22, 2010 at 9:51am
"Thanks to all the developers and iClarified group," got cut off in the reply.
royec
royec - June 22, 2010 at 4:52pm
one question, do you restore or upgrade your 3.1.3 to iOS4?
newb
newb - June 22, 2010 at 7:54am
Is there a way to back up data before I do this. Will I loose my jailbroke apps that are already on Iphone? Sorry if this is dumb question.
Mo
Mo - June 23, 2010 at 1:22pm
Yes, iTunes does that. Right click on your iPhone icon on the left menu on iTunes and make a back up. After jailbreak and unlock, when connect the iPhone, iTunes will ask you if you want to restore the back copy or start as fresh iPhone. That's what I did and is working great with everything just like I had it.
Dynamite
Dynamite - June 22, 2010 at 6:58am
Ok, I successfully jailbroke my 3g with the new 4.0.
NMS
NMS - June 22, 2010 at 7:14am
And can you download the books form iBooks app? Thanks
Dynamite
Dynamite - June 22, 2010 at 10:24am
Actually, ibooks downloaded fine, but now I can't download even the free winnie the pooh book. However, there are others on the apple forum who are having the same problem, but I do not think it is jailbreak related. It is the new 4.0, there is a bug there. Among other things. Hopefully Apple will fix this problem.
NMS
NMS - June 22, 2010 at 6:13am
Ibooks app not working after jaibreak :(... Any solutions?! Thanks and cheers
Dynamite
Dynamite - June 22, 2010 at 7:00am
I had no problem downloading ibooks after the jailbreak.
NMS
NMS - June 22, 2010 at 7:13am
My ibooks app doens't work...the download never finish... I've found: http://xsellize.com/topic/70698-ibooks-broken-after-jailbreak/ thanks
Miky
Miky - June 22, 2010 at 5:38am
Hi guys! Redsnow seems not working with MAC Power PC. Could someone confirm to me that? Thank you in advance!
flowervato
flowervato - July 4, 2010 at 4:40am
confirmed! dev team blog says that it's for mac (x86). i've tried it from different sources and it's a no go...for now that is... blog: http://wikee.iphwn.org/howto:rs9 What devices, platforms, and FW versions are supported? This release supports: All iPhones and iPod touches (still a tethered-only JB for late-model devices though) Apple firmware 3.0 and 3.1.2 Windows and Mac OSX (x86 only for now) It will also soon run on the PPC OSX, and Linux platforms.
naman Kalra
naman Kalra - June 22, 2010 at 5:07am
i finally (after a month or 2) just unlocked my iPhone 3G version 3.1.3 from here.. baseband 5.12.01 want to upgrade it to iOS4. for sure will i be able to jailbreak and unlock it ?? thanks..
Jobs
Jobs - June 22, 2010 at 2:51am
Confiirmed working running 4.0 with cydia cheers guys behind redsn0w
alex
alex - June 22, 2010 at 3:10am
were you successful in jailbreaking it? cause i got stuck after the option restore, it ownt go further after reaching a little bit over halfway. thanks!
S. Jobs
S. Jobs - June 22, 2010 at 2:23am
I am going for it...
Alexis Co
Alexis Co - June 22, 2010 at 1:37am
after doing the option restore, itunes would display restoring iphone software with a progress bar and my phone would display an apple logo also with a progress bar. but on my phone as soon as i go over a little halfway, it's not progressing or moving forward anymore. i've been waiting for more than 30 minutes and still nothing. any help? thanks!
MuscleNerd_
MuscleNerd_ - June 22, 2010 at 1:54am
Sorry, there is nothing we can do at this time, this is a Beta version of RedSn0w so there still some bugs yet
Alexis Co
Alexis Co - June 22, 2010 at 2:13am
thanks for the reply musclenerd, what can i do to have my phone up and running again... cause when i unplugged my phone and turn it back on, i have the connect to itunes screen... thanks!
MuscleNerd_
MuscleNerd_ - June 22, 2010 at 2:34am
Just restore in DFU mode and wait until final version is released.
Mihai
Mihai - June 22, 2010 at 4:40am
It's a problem of iTunes. read here http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=920629
alexis Co
alexis Co - June 22, 2010 at 1:24pm
hi, i dont know who you are but thank you so much!!! you are a lifesaver... i was stuck with that problem last night and about to go this morning to apple for help... good thing i checked my email and saw that you posted a reply to this thread... again, thank you!!!
Vee
Vee - June 22, 2010 at 1:30am
im stuck at Waiting for reboot. its not going forward wat to do??
Alexis Co
Alexis Co - June 22, 2010 at 1:39am
are you also stuck where it shows a progress bar?