October 2, 2022
How to Jailbreak and Unlock Your iPhone 3GS Using RedSn0w (Mac) [4.2.1]

How to Jailbreak and Unlock Your iPhone 3GS Using RedSn0w (Mac) [4.2.1]

Posted November 29, 2010 at 11:56pm · 79 comments · Add Comment
H1uams
H1uams - October 27, 2014 at 5:22pm
Great instructions, best I had found as others took hours and did not work. Would suggest using redsn0w 0.9.14b2 and not the most upto date. Many thanks.
Marlon
Marlon - July 29, 2013 at 3:26pm
Make sure to remove your sim card if you have one (I'm running Iphone 3gs new bootroom at&t) I'm a newb but I noticed that this was the only way I could get the jailbreak to work. Also have a question: If you reboot your phone untethered, do you loose all your jailbreak data?
Luigi Pirandelo
Luigi Pirandelo - November 26, 2011 at 11:14am
Hello everyone! I have a question and I hope you can help me. I have an iPhone 3GS, 4.2.1, 05.15.04 and I want to unlock it. I am planning to backup all my files with iTunes, then jailbreak it and the unlock it with RedSn0w, following this tutorial. I understand that this will change my broadband to 06.15 and the risks. My question: If anything goes wrong with the Jailbreak and I need to reinstall the stock firmware using the iTunes backup, will I be able to bring back my iPhone to the same state before jailbreaking it? Thanks a lot for your help! :-)
Thomas
Thomas - February 3, 2011 at 10:49am
Hi. I have tried this several times with no luck. Couple times I got a failed to enter DFU massage, but I mostly get unexpected error and instructions to reboot and try again. What am I doing wrong here?
lulu
lulu - February 1, 2011 at 12:52pm
DONE! Thanks folks. JB/unlock a friend's 3GS which he inherited from a pal. Works like a charm!
Symona
Symona - October 26, 2011 at 2:42am
Clear, inorfmtaive, simple. Could I send you some e-hugs?
verdao
verdao - January 25, 2011 at 4:24am
I hope this isn't a repeat question, but please help. I have a 3GS, old bootrom, 05.11.07 baseband. I installed 4.2.1 using pwnage tool and the minimal bundle. Now when I attempt to jailbreak with redsn0w, but redsn0w either crashes when I try to put the phone into DFU mode when prompted by redsn0w or, if I put the phone into DFU mode before starting the process, it says it's encountered an unexpected error. Any advice or help very much appreciated.
David
David - January 18, 2011 at 3:01pm
NEED HELP!!! I followed the tutorial. At the very end (jailbreak happening directly on the iPhone), I have the iPhone restarting with the message in iTunes "the SIM Card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be supported". The only deviation I did from the tutorial is that I downloaded redsn0w_mac_0.9.6rc8 & selected the option "activate". What should I do next (apart from throwing my iPhone away)?
ScooterComputer
ScooterComputer - January 11, 2011 at 3:43pm
Just wanted to give some updated info for those who might be asking. I was hesitant to do the 4.2.1 update because I could not find ANYWHERE that talked about the 4.2.1 Baseband Version Check as it pertained to the 3GS, or the stability of the 4.2.1 "minimal" bundle for the 3GS released by the Dev-Team. #1 The 4.2.1 Baseband Version Check must not affect the 3GS (old bootrom) because I am successfully running 4.2.1 with 5.11.07 without problems! I would still like to see this version check detailed more than it has, what models it affects, etc, but it is NOT inhibiting my usage of 4.2.1. #2 I have been running 4.2.1 with the "minimal" bundle on my Old Bootrom 3GS--jailbroken--for several weeks. It has been rock solid. Battery life is nearly as good as I remember under 3.1.2. I have had no WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS, or other problems. My phone has locked up/rebooted one time, and who knows why that might have been; I've seen that happen to non-jailbroken devices. And I even restored my 3.1.2 Backup to the phone…which is not normally a good idea. Overall, for experienced (not necessarily guru-level) users who can read and figure out their way around PwnageTool and Redsn0w, I would absolutely suggest doing this update. Especially if you're down in the 3.1.x's with older baseband. BUT STAY AWAY from 6.15 and stock 4.2.1!
Ankit
Ankit - December 23, 2010 at 12:40am
hey i tried using this method for jailbreak my iphone 3gs on 4.2.1. everything goes on smooth it got restored also but when i use the redsnow thing it says it has worked good but after tht everytime the cydia is not loaded completely and it doesnt operate. kindly help
dubbs
dubbs - December 29, 2010 at 5:07pm
Same problem here. Cydia flashes and nothing happens. Iphone 3gs, 4.2.1, 05.15.04-6.4_M3S2
lightgale
lightgale - January 27, 2011 at 12:53pm
ok, tried a jailbreak for a factory unlocked/neverlocked iPhone 3GS everything went smooth, now I see the apple logo and the spinning wheel frozen, and it just won't boot... wtf? So this is the way to brick an iPhone? pfff, what a luck to learn from my mistake... is there any solution? It just vibrates and on the screen there is the apple logo and the frozen wheel... :-( tried checking the tethered boot, I have the pineapple logo instead... still the phone is bricked... am I that stupid?
lightgale
lightgale - January 27, 2011 at 1:46pm
ok, it looks like it was my bad, as I had to perform a tethered boot, so I miscalculated the week of manuf. tethered boot it is now, but it was painfully slow...
ann
ann - December 21, 2010 at 3:04pm
just tried to do the restore with custom ipsw in itunes, and after extracting it, it tries to contact the apple server to verify the update, but then fails. tried it last night, and again today, and got the error message both times. didn't itunes just have a minor update? does this break the jailbreak? i'm on itunes 10.1.1 ...