How to Perform an Untethered Jailbreak of Your iPhone 4 (Mac) [5.0.1]

How to Perform an Untethered Jailbreak of Your iPhone 4 (Mac) [5.0.1]

ahmed siyam - January 1, 2012 at 3:01pm
i have iphone 4 factory unlocked 8 gb 5.0.1 modem firmware : 04.11.08 will this jailbreak cause to lose anything such as gps or WiFi if i updated the bb ?
Brad - December 30, 2011 at 5:58am
Please help. I updated my iPhone 4 from 5.0 to 5.0.1 via the Software Update on the iPhone. I'm not concerned about the baseband and unlocking as I've already had my mobile carrier unlock the iPhone. Anyway, with the iPhone already at iOS 5.0.1 I've downloaded the latest version of Redsn0w and followed the steps exactly (skipping the steps to upgrade to iOS 5.0.1 as it says). I've launched Redsn0w, clicked Jailbreak, put my iPhone into DFU mode and it starts to prepare the jailbreak and then prompts that the IPSW is needed...?? The tutorial specifically states that you do not need to download the 5.0.1 firmware if you are already on iOS 5.0.1 which I am. What am I doing wrong?
Jack R. Kunkel - January 18, 2012 at 2:43am
I'm having exactly the same problem. I tried twice plus I followed instructions to manually select isp* and files came up on my computer but nothing related to that. Do I need to reload 5.01? Any help is appreciated.
Hova3399 - December 29, 2011 at 11:38pm
Since I'm new to this and it probably has been answered already I was wondering if I can unlock my iPhone 4g. It is w AT&T.. And currently has version 5.0.1. Modem firmware 04.11.08..... I got the phone from apple w these settings. Thank you in advance.
Mojo - January 4, 2012 at 11:09am
no way for now. the baseband is too new and can not be downgraded. either sell this phone and exchange for an iPhone 4 has baseband 04.11.01 or lower, like 03.10.01, jailbreak it, use Gevey; or wait for few more months and see if there is any new methods come out, and remember, never upgrade your iPhone! (unless do it with customized firmware)
LRAN - December 29, 2011 at 3:01pm
I did the jailbreak on is 5.0.1 and it worked but none of my apps will open up, they load and automatically shut down, any ideas why or how to fix it???
lee - December 29, 2011 at 3:02am
cydia keeps on crashing each time :- 1) push the about button 2) try to add source 3) tap on the spotlight search area on the search tab is it just me or what
mojo - January 4, 2012 at 11:11am
i experienced the same thing. so far the best way is making a customized firmware with cydia bundled by using pwnagetools. redsnow has bugs.
lee - January 4, 2012 at 11:18am
managed to solve the problem after trying this. dont know about other methods. Cydia crash 1. Connect the jailbroken idevice to your computer, run iFunbox or other files manger, and use its file management capabilities navigate into the /private/var/mobile/Library directory, copy the “Keyboard” folder to your computer desktop. 2. Go to /private/var/root/Library directory, upload just saved “Keyboard“ directory to this folder. 3. Reboot the device, then back into Cydia, the crash issue fixed.
bloodyfool0 - January 8, 2012 at 8:55am
Thanks, works like a charm lee.
Mani - December 28, 2011 at 7:31pm
All worked fine. iPhone 4, retained BB 3.10.01 using gevey sim. All worked perfect. however cydia does not work. Search in cydia does not show any results.
Sam - December 28, 2011 at 7:11pm
hi does anyone keep getting an error in cydia when adding a sources saying sub-process /bin/bzip2 returned an error code please can someone tell me how to sort this as it keeps coming up when i try to add a new sources
Soze - January 1, 2012 at 5:09am
Go to sources in Cydia, manage, edit and add the following: cydia.hackulo.us
john - December 28, 2011 at 5:51am
does not work for me on iphone 4 that already has 5.0.1 installed. tried twice and still no cydia.
john - January 1, 2012 at 2:48pm
who is tom? what are you talking about dt?
t0Riq - December 28, 2011 at 4:57am
I've iOS 4.3.3 JB, I tried to upgrade the firmware to 5.0.1 before I JB it, but now my iPhone stuck on iTunes Logo..... Can anyone help me ??
SleeperNinja - December 28, 2011 at 5:08pm
Update iTunes to current. Do the restore again, and don't restore from back up or unlock and setup iOS5 until AFTER you JB. I had a similar problem, the Apple logo was on like a 30 second restart cycle.
wab - December 28, 2011 at 4:49am
JB worked fine but there is a glitch, sometimes for some reason apps open up really small in the top left corner of iphone screen, have to boot in safe mode and reboot device to fix. something you guys might wanna look into. thanks~
Sajmannen - January 1, 2012 at 12:38pm
I've got that too And once it has started it affects all apps. Thanks for the tip of going into safe mode though. That was a lifesaver!