The Effect of Holding an iPhone 4 [Graphic]

The Effect of Holding an iPhone 4 [Graphic]

Posted July 2, 2010 at 1:37pm by iClarified · 17 comments · Add Comment
NK - July 3, 2010 at 9:50am
I don't understand the problem.. If the casing is conducting, then the wifi and mobile antenna are already connected, so the phone should always have reception issues .. If the case is not conducting, then how does our hand connect the points and mess them up ??
Benjamin - July 3, 2010 at 1:42pm
From what people are saying, its the black strip in the corner that does it. When you place your finger on it, the signal tanks.and wifi and GSM/UMTS work on different frequencies, so the antennas would be different lengths
Suckadick - July 3, 2010 at 1:56am
Lies lies and more lies. Apple you scum sucking pieces of shit. You're not hiring antenna engineers for a simple software upgrade? I wonder if iPhone5 is gonna have the antenna in te same spot if it's soo fucking amazing as they say! I'm very dissapointed with this, my phone, and the "community" response to this being so mixed. Stop accepting this as ok, stop telling yourself you've been desperately waiting for iPhone 4 and now you have something to live for again. Get a life an stand up and demand perfection from a company that won't even let us view a simple flash website like the rest of the planet.
steve gordon - July 2, 2010 at 8:02pm
Apple give away the bumper free or else u will loose the apple fan. This is serious. Lot of ppl is turn down by the antenna thing. At least, in my thought apple didnt detailly forgot to check the antenna before their release. At last they knew the issue & created bumpers for iphone. Do u thing people in this world are dumb u fking maggot.
benjamin - July 3, 2010 at 1:44pm
EXACTLY!! When I saw that they would be selling bumpers, im like...what is this 2002? lol I hadn't seen bumpers on a phone in forever! But with the antenna thing, it totally makes sense!
Byronchurch - July 2, 2010 at 4:26pm
I have used every iPhone sence #1 this is the best phone I have ever had . I haven't had any droped calls .
D - July 2, 2010 at 3:00pm
this is also true with iPhone 3Gs
mfreverton - July 2, 2010 at 2:01pm
I wouldn't wipe my ass with anything from gizmodo to be honest! I have an iphone 4 and a 3gs with both ios4 firmware, surprise surprise both phones have slight reception issues when held a certain way. I have never had a dropped call, wifi issues or anything. Could it be that you have a shite mobile phone carrier or in a poor reception area, or god forbid, a prick that jumps on the bandwagon just because everybody else is? How many phones have apple sold, yet theres about 50 cry babies around the whole planet having problems? I know, for the next 2 weeks lets have people who are not having problems send in comments about how good their iphone 4 is and shut the rest of the 50 arseholes up, fucking y**ks!!!
Bthep - July 2, 2010 at 2:03pm
Sounds good to me....
JrichVA - July 2, 2010 at 2:37pm
This is more than just a slight signal decrease when held. my 3g had that. this is a reproducible signal drop that if you have anything but maxed out signal strength to start with your call will break up or drop, every time. this is a result of a flawed design that can only be fixed by covering up the exposed antennas (like every other phone does?), and needs to be fixed with a free bumper, if not a complete recall. I think all i4's have this flaw and if you notice it or not just depends on your starting signal strength. i have observed this antenna problem on my 32gb, and 4 other i4's of people i know. most bought from different locations, probably from different manufacturing batches. if apple wanted to try and improve reception by moving the antenna outside then they should of brought back the retractable antenna from the 90's, not incorporate the antenna into the handle of the phone...
yiyopr - July 2, 2010 at 3:42pm
hahaha dumbass fanboy... Its not 50 people, its hundreds, if not thousands of REPORTED cases. Imagine how many more go unreported. Quit your defending and just admit that apple did something wrong. I've seen over 10 iphone 4's and they all have the same problem. I suspect that everyone has this problem, people are just too stupid to notice (such as yourself). Try holding the phone with a moist hand, that drops the signal the most because of the increased conductivity (hardware flaw). Apple's response to all this is "its not really going from 5 to 1, its going from 3 to 1", thats not that bad! Its a crap response, and apple can kiss my ass.
mfreverton - July 2, 2010 at 4:00pm
Quote: "Try holding the phone with a moist hand, that drops the signal the most because of the increased conductivity" no because you are a wanker yiyopr! Myself and around 15 of my friends have iphone 4's and are on o2 in the uk and no problems except one to be honest. I don't really like him and hes a wanker. Must be the vaseline, use a non-conductive lubricant next time......
yiyopr - July 2, 2010 at 5:12pm
Oh please.. Is that really the best reply you can come up with mfreverton. Man, I know most of the population sucks when it comes to arguments but this is just ridiculous. Ok lets try to refute your stupid immature arguments with something sustainable and real. You've bothered 15 friends to ask how their signals has been affected by the iphone 4? First of all, you probably don't know 15 friends who own iphone 4s... But lets assume you do. All 15 of you have stated that you don't have any problems. Thats just a lie, and a bad one at that. Statistically thats not possible. But lets put all that aside. Apple published a PR statement acknowledging the problem. So, in reality, all of you are having the problem. You're probably just too stupid to notice.. What, are you afraid to actually hold the iphone using the "death grip" for more than 2 seconds out of fear that you indeed affected? Its just pathetic. As for the moist hand thing. What? You failed to have a valid reply to my scientifically backed up argument so you just made a joke about me being a "wanker". You failed kid. No, it doesn't take vaseline to sweat in your damn hand. You just have to walk to your work, run a couple of streets, exercise. You'll be sweating in your hand in no time. And guess what happens! Your iphone will drop -20db because of it. AND YOU TRY TO DEFEND THEM. I don't know about you, but I like to have a phone I can use when I need it. However its severely limited by the fact that I can't use it after rigorous activity or exercise because a sweaty hand enhances the conductivity in the flesh, and the phone is so poorly made that it can't even handle that. Face the damn facts, apple made a mistake. I'm not insulting you!!! Don't take it to heart. Its just a company. Sheez...
kirto - July 3, 2010 at 5:43am
"Sad Guy"
Geez - July 2, 2010 at 2:00pm
Maybe apple will have an app for that??????
Bthep - July 2, 2010 at 2:01pm
That's hella funny tho !
Bthep - July 2, 2010 at 1:46pm
They definetly need to cough up some kind of shield... Should be 100% out of apples pocket ... I ordered awrapforthat the day it came out hopefully that shit works! I would have just got a case but I'm waiting on the new mophie.....
Prev 1 of 1 Next