February 21, 2024
How to Jailbreak Your AppleTV Using ATV USB Creator

How to Jailbreak Your AppleTV Using ATV USB Creator
Comments (Page 2)

Posted October 1, 2008 at 11:58pm · 64 comments · Add Comment
new2appletv
new2appletv - October 4, 2008 at 10:42am
colts, yes. the patching worked on ATV v2.2, but your USB stick should be non-SDHC (<4GB). I created the patchstick on my Intel mac mini running Leopard.
colts
colts - October 4, 2008 at 9:05am
works the creator with appletv 2.2 ??
new2appletv
new2appletv - October 3, 2008 at 11:13pm
It Worked! I created the patchstick on a 2GB USB drive instead of the 4GB that I used the first time. Guess, the bootloader in the ATV can't handle a SDHC flash drive. It installed the pluggins for XBMC and Boxee as well at the same time.
caliban10
caliban10 - October 3, 2008 at 4:05pm
Now that the appletv has been jailbroken and the codecs installed, how do you watch avi's on it? Do you need to sync the movie files with itunes or just scp them on to the appletv? and if so, where do movie & tv files go?
new2appletv
new2appletv - October 3, 2008 at 12:59am
I have a ATV with v2.2 s/w and an Intel mac mini running Leopard. I tried this utility on this mac mini with a 4GB USB stick. Is this utility supposed to work on a mac running Leopard? I connected it to my ATV and tried patching. On reboot, I saw the apple logo flash on the screen and the display going blank a few times in between with the LED flashing amber and then finally come back to select "language" screen followed by ATV Recovery screen. I ran diagnostics and restarted the ATV, but didn't see any changes in the menu of the ATV. Is this how it should work? If it didn't is it due to the fact that I am using a 4GB USB stick?
goo3joob
goo3joob - October 3, 2008 at 12:20am
Doesn't seem to work on my end (Intel iMac, Leopard). The app runs but doesn't place any files on the usb drive (I've tried 4 drives, all 1G or smaller). Any thoughts?
SunLizard
SunLizard - October 2, 2008 at 9:48pm
For all having issues, use smaller Patchstick. Generally doesn't like anything larger than 2gig. That ATVUSB Creator totally rocks. I've been doing it manual since 1.1 and since 2.01 have been too busy(lazy) to dedicate time to rebuilding the payload image. The only thing I'd suggest for the next rev is check-box options for payload. I love the XBMC install but could give a rat's about Boxee, Adding options for NitoTV or ATVFiles or SafariHD might give users a chance to experiment with thier boxes but overall this creator/installer truly rox. 9.7/10
flagtuck
flagtuck - October 2, 2008 at 8:04pm
Show the XBMC option too. It is by far the best way to play media on the appleTV. This new method makes it so a n00b with an iClarified guide can turn the appleTV into a 720HD happy media playing monster. It took like 20 minutes from a freshly restored and updated AppleTV to do this whole thing and it connected to a SMB share right off the bat.
Phil St.Onge
Phil St.Onge - October 2, 2008 at 7:43pm
Thomas Thanks.
Anmol SAINI
Anmol SAINI - October 2, 2008 at 7:40pm
I tried username as frontrow@appletv.local, password - frontrow, but it says failed. Is my user id and password correct? I am using FUGU. Also, what is boxee...?
Phil St.Onge
Phil St.Onge - October 2, 2008 at 9:49am
Thomas, Where are the files we need to make this happen?
Thomas
Thomas - October 2, 2008 at 9:22am
Hopefully this link: http://code.google.com/p/atv-xbmc-launcher/wiki/Installation will provide more insight and answers to XBMC & Boxee plugin for all of us that have ssh and applied patchstick previously....
Phil St.Onge
Phil St.Onge - October 2, 2008 at 9:12am
I echo Thomas. My ATV has already been Jailbroken with ATV Flash and I am very happy but would be interested in what this method has to offer above and beyond ATV Flash. I am still a bit confused as to what Boxee (etc.) does.
frankberger
frankberger - October 2, 2008 at 8:40am
It does not work. None of the created patchsticks is bootable. Not worth investing the time.
Thomas
Thomas - October 2, 2008 at 8:37am
This is great, but I have ssh access and a lot features installed already. Just would like to install the xbmc and boxee. Is there any way to install xbmc & boxee without jailbreaking again and having to rehack again?
turturo
turturo - October 2, 2008 at 5:32am
can somebody mirror the file. i cant complete the download from the link provided. thanks.