At its most basic, DarkAdapted controls the amount of red, green, and blue in the display's image in order to preserve the eyes' dark adaptation while using the computer. Because of DarkAdapted's full brightness control, users with monitors that appear too bright (such as owners of certain iMac models), will find DarkAdapted to be invaluable. Easily define an unlimited number of gamma presets, and invoke them via global hotkeys, by menu selection, by scheduled events, or by typing the first few letters of a preset's name.
* Customizable gamma presets
* High-resolution sliders allow real time adjustment of individual red, green, and blue video components
* Small Screen Mode hides advanced controls, minimizing the use of valuable screen real estate
* Select a preset by typing the first few letters of its name
* Export and Import gamma presets to and from disk files
* Full AppleScript support
* Gamma Toggle keys offer a quick return to full brightness. Modifier keys are fully assignable
* Switching to gamma presets is performed via smooth fades
* Gamma fade duration is user-configurable
* Saved gamma preset is restored when DarkAdapted is launched, and reset when DarkAdapted quits
* Manual refresh preference can override gamma adjustments made by screen savers or other software
* Useful display features show gamma changes effects on selected text on different backgrounds
* Useful numeric and graphical readouts of gamma values
DarkAdapted earned a 4.5 mouse rating in Macworld's Mac Gems column.
Version 2.3.5 is a major update, sporting many new features, performance enhancements and bug fixes. DarkAdapted Pro (Mac only) adds "Load Shared Preferences..." and "Save Shared Preferences..." menu entries to the Special menu. This allows sharing settings between multiple users on a single computer. When loading shared preferences, all settings are immediately updated. Non-administrative users may now write to the shared preference file. This replaces the shared preference control in the Preferences window.
Pro users may also change visibility of the Dock icon on both administrative and non-administrative accounts. The About Window now displays name and organization as well as the licensed serial number (copies registered before Build 218, the name will appear as "DarkAdapted Pro User"). DarkAdapted Pro now features an improved Chime and AppleScript Scheduling Window. Selecting an event displays the next event execution time below and to the right of the Events listing. Hold down a modifier key while clicking an event to display the next execution time with dates. The application offers updated documentation with a section explaining how to use DarkAdapted with popular display calibration software.
Pricing and Availability:
DarkAdapted 2.3.5 Standard is completely free. DarkAdapted 2.3.5 Pro is only $10.00 (USD). Macintosh users can upgrade to DarkAdapted Pro, enabling advanced features such as a system-wide menu, brightness hotkeys, independent display control, event scheduling, scroll wheel support, and much more. Version 2.3.5 sports many new improvements and is a recommended download for all customers.