January 29, 2023

How to Unlock/Jailbreak Your iPhone 2G on OS 3.0.x Using RedSn0w (Mac)

Posted June 20, 2009 at 5:54am · 113 comments · Add Comment
SD
SD - July 24, 2009 at 10:26am
When I download the iPhone1,1_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw.zip file, and then I click it to expand it, it simply restores the archive to a folder with the name iPhone1,1_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw which is no good, as iTunes will not recognise this. It's a regular folder, not a cool little lego piece like in the pics above. PLEASE help. How do I do this?? Thanks!
joe
joe - July 31, 2009 at 1:10am
I had same problem, just delete the .zip at the end and it automatically turns into the "lego" icon
meed2000
meed2000 - July 18, 2009 at 3:13pm
Amazing. Moved from firmware 1.4, iphone 1st generation to this firmware 3.0. The speed and reactivity of the phone has greatly increased. No problem processing different steps, thanks to dev-team and iclarified for the tutorial. As said above, use firefox as it does not auto uncompress ipsw files.
Phocko
Phocko - July 18, 2009 at 11:49am
Do I wait til after jailbreaking/unlocking to install my sim card?
faxao
faxao - July 31, 2009 at 2:08am
It actually does not matter whether your SIM card is inside the iPhone or not in order to jailbreak/unlock it. I ran through the redsn0w 0.8 procedure with the SIM inside (iPhone 2G) and it worked out well.
Klette 24
Klette 24 - July 13, 2009 at 10:49am
hi everybody, can redsnow be used with ppc now ? any problem to upgrade 2g iphone with fw 1.1.4 direct ? who can help ? thanx
moshpit
moshpit - July 10, 2009 at 11:50am
DON'T use USB-Hubs... wont boot your iPhone!
squidge
squidge - July 25, 2009 at 8:03pm
thanks for that! I've recently had my imac fixed and hadn't realised that I'd plugged my dock in to a usb hub. I've been trying to unlock my phone now for over a day!!! couldn't find out why until I just saw your post! phew... thank you very much!
skeet
skeet - July 10, 2009 at 3:47am
For the people who get stuck at the black screen to reboot. Just take out the usb cable, restart the ipod (as you normally would) and immediately put back the usb cable... I just did that almost all those things in a second... at least as quick as possible, and it restarted fine and is now installing everything. Just so you know. I never really like these comments where everybody is saying how simple it all was and how intelligent they are without even helping some other people... Just my 2 pence. Laters guys!
Stefano
Stefano - July 27, 2009 at 4:15pm
You made my day ! The trick did work perfectly after many attempts that were ending with the black screen in the middle of the redsn0w 0.8 procedure....now my great iPhone 2G is enjoying his new youth with the 3.0 firmware !! Thanks for the precious hint !
Yancey
Yancey - July 6, 2009 at 11:44pm
Anyone able to point me to a tutorial for upgrading my unlocked/jailbroken 2G iphone to OS 3.0. Any comments on your successes welcome too. I believe I understood that all that was necessary was to use the update in iTunes since the baseband was not updated. Holding out for more information. Thanks in advance Yancey
Nelson Valente
Nelson Valente - July 3, 2009 at 4:19pm
Thaaaaaank you, very very much!...
SmokeJaguar
SmokeJaguar - July 2, 2009 at 9:46am
Excellent tut. Now have an iPhone 2G on the Virgin network-cheers.
Fredrik
Fredrik - July 2, 2009 at 7:30am
Perfect! I had upgraded my pwnage iPhone 2G to 3.0 but youTube didn't work so I did this tutorial to reset the 3.0 and apply redsn0w. Works great!