December 9, 2022
How to Jailbreak Your iPhone 4 Using PwnageTool (Mac) [4.1]

How to Jailbreak Your iPhone 4 Using PwnageTool (Mac) [4.1]

Posted October 20, 2010 at 12:14pm · 50 comments · Add Comment
Big Mo
Big Mo - November 1, 2010 at 1:48pm
I have a IP 4 and it is on 4.1 in the 2.14.00 firmware it is currently JB by the previous owner but he said that the IP was JB before. I am assuming it was with 4.0.1 or 4.0.2. I need an unlock to run on TMobile. Is there a way to bring it back to firmware 1.59.00 so that I may re-jailbreak it to 4.1 and keep my unlock with the firmware 1.59.00. Hope this makes sense.
Ryan
Ryan - November 1, 2010 at 4:30pm
You CANNOT downgrade your baseband. Once you upgrade it, there is no way back down.
Ecua4ecer
Ecua4ecer - November 1, 2010 at 1:09am
Hi, every one sone one knows if I preserve the baseband 1.59 an iPhone and if I update with pwnage tool it will be able to unlock with ultrasn0w??? And if works FaceTime thanks for you replay
CJ
CJ - October 25, 2010 at 2:23am
Hi all, a noob question. I have an iPhone 4 new out of the box - iOS 4.0.2, baseband 01.59.00-ICE_2_6. It is not yet activated with iTunes and I can't because it's UK Vodafone and I am on O2. Will using PwnageTool with the "activate my phone" option selected and "update baseband " deselected mean that when complete I'll have an activate phone with iOS 4.1 and baseband Hi all, a noob question. I have an iPhone 4 new out of the box - iOS 4.0.2, baseband 01.59.00-ICE_2_6 that I can then unlock with Ultrasn0w? Also what are the potential issues with not activating via apple? And, is there any way of getting my settings and data from my iPhone 3G that is on 4.1 with the latest basband 05.14.02-6.2_M3S2 or have I screwed that by upgrading? Thanks for any help :)
leon
leon - October 31, 2010 at 5:33am
Try using limera1n and then ultrasn0w, or upgrade to 44.1 using thyny umbrela to preserve baseband and then greenpo1son.
Savvas Kafouris
Savvas Kafouris - October 21, 2010 at 6:02pm
I JAILBREAK MANY TIMES THE IPHONE I SUGGEST THE UNLOCKERS TO WAIT TO 4.0 OR 4.0.1. I HAVE ISSUES ABOUT PWNAGE MANY PROBLES AT PAST WITH WIFI NOT WORKING, FACETIME , SMS SOMETIMES. USERS THA WANT UNLOCK THE IPHONE WAIT 4.2 FIRMWARE. THAT WANT ONLY JAILBREAK USE LIMERA1N
chriskat
chriskat - October 21, 2010 at 5:07pm
There was definitly a problem with facetime, after jailbreaking facetime was gone so i re-jailbroke with pwnage and it still was missing, so i restored using tinyumbrella and jailbroke with limera1n and facetime is back!
Reano
Reano - October 23, 2010 at 12:17pm
I did my JB with Limera1n, but Facetime is gone. I did not test MMS. I was hoping Pwnage would fix it, but I am likely to wait more feedback from users if Facetime is really being fixed. Did anyone tried the video in You Tube where says that reset all setting would do? I do not want to reset everything and do not get a fix. Tnx!!!
Reano
Reano - October 25, 2010 at 9:39am
I did not re-install the firmware or re-jailbroke. I just did the suggestion I´ve found on a video in YouTube: In Settings/ General, just "Reset All Settings". I have lost some configs, but got my Facetime back. Now that we have Facetime in Macs, I did not want to stay out of it :)
chriskat
chriskat - October 21, 2010 at 11:45am
does anyone else have an issue with Facetime after the jailbreak, and by issue i mean that it is not there anymore?
ron
ron - October 21, 2010 at 12:33pm
i have an issue with facetime, it worked on 4.0.1 but after upgrading to 4.1 it is stopped working! it is waiting for activation! and never stops
Disarm
Disarm - October 25, 2010 at 3:44am
leave FaceTime ON, put to Airplane mode... Reboot iPhone... turn back Airplane ON
MARTY
MARTY - October 25, 2010 at 5:10pm
HELP PLEASE I AM USING REDSNOW TO JAILBREAK 3G 4.1 WINDOW VERSION BUT WHEN I CLICK BROWSE IN REDSNOW IT DOES NOT WANT TO ACCEPT THE FIRM WARE EVEN THOUGH IT IS THE RIGT ONE
Zero
Zero - November 8, 2010 at 7:52am
go to the redsnow section....
max
max - October 21, 2010 at 10:57am
everything went fine but when i update my cydia app..it just crushes everytime pls HELP
Zero837
Zero837 - November 7, 2010 at 1:37pm
You have to read dev-team blog first!!!... if Cydia is crashing and if you have Leopard you must use PwnageTool 4.1.2!
Danielxm
Danielxm - October 21, 2010 at 9:21am
Did all procedures but cydia does not work, it keeps giving datbase error message "Database could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13 permission denied)". Tried acessing diectory of cydia through mac terminal or total command and no directory shows. Any tips on how to make cydia works?? No repositories or files were installed on cydia. Alrady tried to rinstall and add only open ssh when creating ipsw and rejailbreaking without sucess. Iphone 4 came with 4.1 already installed, firmware 01.59.00
obbi13
obbi13 - October 22, 2010 at 12:42am
Same thing happened to me. Iphone 4 JB 4.1. After finishing JB i went to cydia and same errors like you. Tried to connect using SSH and I get connection refused, I triple checked and and make sure that I selected install ssh and ssl. Have done it 3 times with no luck.
Danielxm
Danielxm - October 22, 2010 at 7:51am
Dv team just released pwnage 4.1.1. correcting cydia problem it seams. Did not check yet.
Emulgator
Emulgator - October 21, 2010 at 4:44am
Worked for me on a iPhone 3G But my final objective is to unlock it, does someone knows if it's already possible? (modem firmware 05.14.12) Another question is, after having done all this, is it possible to downgrade to 3.0.3 in order to get the speed back?
Zero
Zero - November 8, 2010 at 7:53am
No my friend.... just wait
Marcus
Marcus - October 20, 2010 at 11:25pm
Alright, this didnt work at all! Managed to jailbreak iPhone 4 on iOS 4.1 (previously on iOS 4.0.1). Jailbreak was a success but a lot of problems. 1. No way of turning iPhone off, every time I do, it restarts by itself 2. Facetime is not working, no trace of facetime in settings or in the phone app, it's like I have an iPhone 3g. 3. Battery Percentage doesn't show. Tried restore 3 with custom firmware 3 times, still no luck. I'd like your guys input on this, or if you experience similar problems. If you could try turning off your iPhones and see if the automatically restart like mine? I appreciate dev-teams work, but this just doesn't cut it when nothing works. They tell people to wait for pwnagetool and avoid limera1n and greenp0ison and then release something which just screws my iPhone up. Id very much appreciate your guys responses
maz