How to Jailbreak Your iPhone 3GS Using PwnageTool (Mac) [4.1]

How to Jailbreak Your iPhone 3GS Using PwnageTool (Mac) [4.1]

Posted October 20, 2010 at 12:48pm by iClarified · 75 comments · Add Comment
dunno78 - December 13, 2010 at 5:04pm
Old bootrom unlocked 3GS currently on 4.0.1 -- when I try to restore to a pwnage tool cooked 4.1, using the Pwnage Tool and ipsw links above, iTunes says my device is not eligible for that build. I see in other sites that some people recommend UNchecking the "Activate this phone" in expert mode -- if I do that, will I lose my ability to unlock with Ultrasn0w?
Slyppry - November 16, 2010 at 11:43am
I am lost. I have an iBook running Leopard 10.5.8, running the new Pwnage Tool, trying to upgrade a 3gs new bootrom to 4.1 from 4.0 without updating the baseband. I cooked the firmware with PT and followed the steps for the DFU Mode within PT. Problem is, on the step where you are holding only the Home button, it only counts to 6 and then stops. The iphone itself starts up on its own shortly after that, normal startup. If I keep holding the Home button, after PT stops counting at 6, the iphone goes into Recovery (?) where it shows the screen to connect to itunes and itunes opens automatically, saying it detected an iPhone in recovery mode and that it needs to be restored to continue. I thought that it worked! WRONG. I continue to follow the directions, holding the alt/option button while clicking restore, selecting the custom fw, and itunes looks like it is going to work, puts the iphone in dfu (Black screen) but then pops up with error 21. I have to use TinyUmbrella to kick it out of recovery mode. I have tried this about 15 times, I have also cooked the firmware a total of 3 times, thinking maybe it was just a software glitch. I tried putting the iphone into DFU myself. I have tried the Pwnage Tool DFU button so many times that I can hear that beep in my sleep. I have tried using the custom fw on my PC to do the restore, no luck, same error 21. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. iPhone 3gs, Model MB716LL, currently on iOS 4.0 (8A293) trying to upgrade to 4.1.
Nick - November 2, 2010 at 4:17am
After done restoration i got error 29, and the phone booted itself into recovery mode. So i use tinyumbrealla to kick out and get into springboard. However, my phone 3gs 16gb on baseband 05.11.07 with old bootroom without SHSH saved on cydia, restarted itself every 3-4 minutes. I've been stuck in this loop for a few days already. Any help would appreciate.
luck - November 1, 2010 at 1:24am
will this work on my 3gs 5.11 baseband?
jackjohn - October 31, 2010 at 9:21pm
hi, after following the instructions, i have the cydia app on my phone but when i try to open it, it just opens and closes. please help!!
iPPLE - October 27, 2010 at 12:41am
Hi All, I'm having problem with 3GS 4.1 custom restore cooked by Pwnage 4.1.2 . The process of restoring almost done, but the phone stop responding for too long. Anybody having the same problem ? Thanks
Jay - October 29, 2010 at 2:01pm
try to disable 'activation' when you create ispw. that worked for me. (before that, I spent almost 10 hours to figure out!)
brian e - October 29, 2010 at 5:27pm
Similar issue with 3gs (same 4.1 custom restore by 4.1.2 pwnage). Gets stuck on 'preparing iphone ..' then after 4 minutes or so gets a 16xx type error.
brian e - October 29, 2010 at 5:34pm
I've tried on three separate computers and differing usb connection / cables. Starting to think that it is the ipsw file from apple.
rbr04 - October 25, 2010 at 10:03pm
Tried to Pwnage, got 1600 error or 21 error. Rebooted and DFU again, still the same problem. Phone was locked in DFU mode. Switched it to Recover mode. Used TinyUmbrella to kick it out of Recover mode and it worked. However, lost Wifi access. Turn Wifi on, joins network without a problem but does not transmit/receive. (no icon either). I have another 3GS that is accessing the wifi network. 2 questions, 1st any help in getting wifi back. 2nd, tried the suggestion of rebooting and DFU but still got error any suggestions. Even tried DFU and moving custom file to a windows computer to finish installation. I cannot uncheck activate because I do not want to upgrade the baseband.
iPPLE - October 27, 2010 at 12:50am
Hi rbr04, i had this error once. because i didn't use Pwnage to enter to DFU Mode. so you need to enter into DFU Mode by using Pwnage and then try to restore in iTunes.
Solidst8 - October 24, 2010 at 11:11pm
Compass not working on 4.1, anybody else notice this? Have 2 3GS with old bootrom compass not working.
Jon - October 24, 2010 at 10:52am
Anybody having problems getting wifi to work afterwards? My wifi connects, but nothing works. I tried resetting network and forgetting my network, but nothing... multiple reboots, too. I ended up backgrading to my 3.1.2, but so many of my apps no long work that I really need to move back to 4-something... TIA
Jon - October 27, 2010 at 4:45am
Replying to myself, hoping it may help others. I got the JB working with wifi. Here's what I did, though I don't know what, exactly worked. ;-) First of all, I used the 4.1.2 version of Pwnage, not the 4.1 that I used the first time. Secondly, before I restored my old iPhone, I connected to my wifi, and made sure it worked, and then restored. Last time, I restored immediately, which may have been my mistake. In any case, it's working now, and I'm at 4.1 (without my ProSwitcher--waaa!) Patience, I guess.
jith - October 24, 2010 at 8:02am
My heartfull thanks to the full team .. I'd successfully degraded my 3G from 4.1 to 4.0 and jailbreaked it very easily .., even this were the first time Im doing this !!! Thanks for the entire team !! Now waiting for the 5.14 baseband unlock
Prev 1 of 4 Next