February 29, 2024
How to Jailbreak Your iPhone 3GS Using PwnageTool (Mac) [4.1]

How to Jailbreak Your iPhone 3GS Using PwnageTool (Mac) [4.1]
Comments

Posted October 20, 2010 at 12:48pm · 74 comments · Add Comment
dunno78
dunno78 - December 13, 2010 at 5:04pm
Old bootrom unlocked 3GS currently on 4.0.1 -- when I try to restore to a pwnage tool cooked 4.1, using the Pwnage Tool and ipsw links above, iTunes says my device is not eligible for that build. I see in other sites that some people recommend UNchecking the "Activate this phone" in expert mode -- if I do that, will I lose my ability to unlock with Ultrasn0w?
Slyppry
Slyppry - November 16, 2010 at 11:43am
I am lost. I have an iBook running Leopard 10.5.8, running the new Pwnage Tool, trying to upgrade a 3gs new bootrom to 4.1 from 4.0 without updating the baseband. I cooked the firmware with PT and followed the steps for the DFU Mode within PT. Problem is, on the step where you are holding only the Home button, it only counts to 6 and then stops. The iphone itself starts up on its own shortly after that, normal startup. If I keep holding the Home button, after PT stops counting at 6, the iphone goes into Recovery (?) where it shows the screen to connect to itunes and itunes opens automatically, saying it detected an iPhone in recovery mode and that it needs to be restored to continue. I thought that it worked! WRONG. I continue to follow the directions, holding the alt/option button while clicking restore, selecting the custom fw, and itunes looks like it is going to work, puts the iphone in dfu (Black screen) but then pops up with error 21. I have to use TinyUmbrella to kick it out of recovery mode. I have tried this about 15 times, I have also cooked the firmware a total of 3 times, thinking maybe it was just a software glitch. I tried putting the iphone into DFU myself. I have tried the Pwnage Tool DFU button so many times that I can hear that beep in my sleep. I have tried using the custom fw on my PC to do the restore, no luck, same error 21. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. iPhone 3gs, Model MB716LL, currently on iOS 4.0 (8A293) trying to upgrade to 4.1.
Nick
Nick - November 2, 2010 at 4:17am
After done restoration i got error 29, and the phone booted itself into recovery mode. So i use tinyumbrealla to kick out and get into springboard. However, my phone 3gs 16gb on baseband 05.11.07 with old bootroom without SHSH saved on cydia, restarted itself every 3-4 minutes. I've been stuck in this loop for a few days already. Any help would appreciate.
luck
luck - November 1, 2010 at 1:24am
will this work on my 3gs 5.11 baseband?
jackjohn
jackjohn - October 31, 2010 at 9:21pm
hi, after following the instructions, i have the cydia app on my phone but when i try to open it, it just opens and closes. please help!!
iPPLE
iPPLE - October 27, 2010 at 12:41am
Hi All, I'm having problem with 3GS 4.1 custom restore cooked by Pwnage 4.1.2 . The process of restoring almost done, but the phone stop responding for too long. Anybody having the same problem ? Thanks
Jay
Jay - October 29, 2010 at 2:01pm
try to disable 'activation' when you create ispw. that worked for me. (before that, I spent almost 10 hours to figure out!)
brian e
brian e - October 29, 2010 at 5:27pm
Similar issue with 3gs (same 4.1 custom restore by 4.1.2 pwnage). Gets stuck on 'preparing iphone ..' then after 4 minutes or so gets a 16xx type error.
brian e
brian e - October 29, 2010 at 5:34pm
I've tried on three separate computers and differing usb connection / cables. Starting to think that it is the ipsw file from apple.
rbr04
rbr04 - October 25, 2010 at 10:03pm
Tried to Pwnage, got 1600 error or 21 error. Rebooted and DFU again, still the same problem. Phone was locked in DFU mode. Switched it to Recover mode. Used TinyUmbrella to kick it out of Recover mode and it worked. However, lost Wifi access. Turn Wifi on, joins network without a problem but does not transmit/receive. (no icon either). I have another 3GS that is accessing the wifi network. 2 questions, 1st any help in getting wifi back. 2nd, tried the suggestion of rebooting and DFU but still got error any suggestions. Even tried DFU and moving custom file to a windows computer to finish installation. I cannot uncheck activate because I do not want to upgrade the baseband.
iPPLE
iPPLE - October 27, 2010 at 12:50am
Hi rbr04, i had this error once. because i didn't use Pwnage to enter to DFU Mode. so you need to enter into DFU Mode by using Pwnage and then try to restore in iTunes.
Solidst8
Solidst8 - October 24, 2010 at 11:11pm
Compass not working on 4.1, anybody else notice this? Have 2 3GS with old bootrom compass not working.
Jon
Jon - October 24, 2010 at 10:52am
Anybody having problems getting wifi to work afterwards? My wifi connects, but nothing works. I tried resetting network and forgetting my network, but nothing... multiple reboots, too. I ended up backgrading to my 3.1.2, but so many of my apps no long work that I really need to move back to 4-something... TIA
Jon
Jon - October 27, 2010 at 4:45am
Replying to myself, hoping it may help others. I got the JB working with wifi. Here's what I did, though I don't know what, exactly worked. ;-) First of all, I used the 4.1.2 version of Pwnage, not the 4.1 that I used the first time. Secondly, before I restored my old iPhone, I connected to my wifi, and made sure it worked, and then restored. Last time, I restored immediately, which may have been my mistake. In any case, it's working now, and I'm at 4.1 (without my ProSwitcher--waaa!) Patience, I guess.
jith
jith - October 24, 2010 at 8:02am
My heartfull thanks to the full team .. I'd successfully degraded my 3G from 4.1 to 4.0 and jailbreaked it very easily .., even this were the first time Im doing this !!! Thanks for the entire team !! Now waiting for the 5.14 baseband unlock
lepaka
lepaka - October 24, 2010 at 6:55am
I have a 3GS 16 (unlocked from origin) and a 3GS 32 (locked at the Network, but without contract). Both cases worked perfectly, just had to UNSELECT the Activation Process in the step six. Thankx you are the Jailbreak Masters.
Andy
Andy - October 23, 2010 at 1:26pm
I did it, now what? SHould i restore it from a backup or as a new iPhone? That and, i don't notice any visible changes. What am i supposed to see differently?
Gazi
Gazi - October 23, 2010 at 11:25am
4.1 Customs FW restored usuing DFU mode on 3GS old BR. iPhone continuously rebooting and showing only logo. Tried 2nd,3rd,4th .... times restore, if DFU showing error 1600 and recovery mode showing error 21. Help is appreciated.
lepaka
lepaka - October 24, 2010 at 6:58am
Try just UNSELECT the Activation Process at step six. it worked for me perfectly.
Mommy22angels
Mommy22angels - October 22, 2010 at 2:27pm
I have my iPhone unlocked with the new 4.1. I am running on tmobile, but just noticed under my carrier in settings, it says AT&T. I thought I had read that this new jail real was going to fool iTunes in some way. Is that part of it. I also live in Indiana but am currently in Michigan. Thanks for any answers.
emilio
emilio - October 22, 2010 at 11:07pm
nesesito ayuda con iphone
Jbz
Jbz - October 22, 2010 at 1:20pm
How is everyone bypassing the "verifying restore with Apple" window??
hadesphoenix
hadesphoenix - October 24, 2010 at 1:33pm
DFU should take care of that, what you need to do is to do the DFU process again. Even though you think FDU is fine, do it again and restore your iphone using your custom firmware and you will see the error prompt disappearing. Thanks Dev-Team
Steve
Steve - October 22, 2010 at 9:02am
Pwn Tool is 4.1.1 now. anyone knows what are the changes compare to 4.1? I know it should be better but i just don't want to format my phone again with the new tool. For those got error 21, or 1600. you have to use Mac to make it work. use Pwn tool to go to DFU mode then restore within iTunes.
Daniel
Daniel - October 22, 2010 at 4:46am
Occording to my Macbook the Pwnage tool here in this article is not a DMG. I had to go here to get a working one. http://www.iphoneworld.ca/download-for-iphone1/pwnageTool_4.1.dmg
Daniel
Daniel - October 22, 2010 at 4:48am
Ah its a torrent link? Why do you have a torrent link when there are direct download of the Pwnage tool available.?? Not everyone has Bit Torrent. Not point in forcing people to install it eh?
Mark
Mark - October 21, 2010 at 7:21pm
since PwnageTool is for making custom firmwares, any mac owners nice enough to upload a custom firmware they've made (3GS - iOS 4.1 but w/o baseband update), for all us windows users? thanks in advance! :)
Vaccaria
Vaccaria - October 21, 2010 at 12:47pm
I also got the error 1600, any solutions yet? Thanks.
dmoney
dmoney - October 21, 2010 at 2:48pm
Try using iTunes 9
Mommy22angels
Mommy22angels - October 21, 2010 at 3:45pm
I got the error also. Went back and made sure I put the phone in DFU mode through pwnage and it worked. I also have updated iTunes so that wasn't the problem.
Vaccaria
Vaccaria - October 21, 2010 at 4:46pm
You made it using iTunes 10? Thanks.
Jon
Jon - October 24, 2010 at 10:50am
I got that, and on rebooting, I got it all to connect. It seems that sometimes the USB bus gets messed up. Try a reboot and then use the DFU tool in Pewnage to connect again.
Lakegeorge
Lakegeorge - October 21, 2010 at 11:18am
i accidently upgraded my 3gs to 4.1 using itunes, i am stuck at emergency calling mode, i tried to put the phone in dfu and then restore with the custom pwnage 4.1 does not work it gives out a message saying iphone software update server could not be contacted what to do now...Please Help
dmoney
dmoney - October 21, 2010 at 2:47pm
You will have to use limera1n to get it out of emergency mode.. and UNFORTUNATELY you cannot unlock using ultrasn0w because your baseband has been upgraded and will have to wait until ultrasn0w comes out with new version
Frew
Frew - October 21, 2010 at 8:40am
Hey, I tried to restore my phone in DFU mode (I get the error 1600) and without DFU mode (error 21). What do I do now? :(
Frew
Frew - October 21, 2010 at 8:50am
And now I can't leave the recovery mode :( What can I do now?
Jancho
Jancho - October 22, 2010 at 10:35pm
Use umbrella to kick it off
tigerhill
tigerhill - October 21, 2010 at 3:09am
i tried to restore the phone it gives mr this message"cannot be restores because iphone could not contact the update server because it is unavilable try later" PLEASE HELP!
dmoney
dmoney - October 21, 2010 at 3:08pm
Check your hosts file if u changed it
Chris
Chris - October 21, 2010 at 12:54am
Hi, I've got the Error 1600 in DFU Mode. If I choose Restore Mode I got the Error 21. Any help for me? Which iTunes Version should be used? Thanks in advance!
dmoney
dmoney - October 21, 2010 at 2:45pm
I got those same errors when I used iTunes 10.. Then i switched to another computer with iTunes 9 worked fine
Chris
Chris - October 22, 2010 at 5:03am
It seems that it's no problem with iTunes 10. I've installed iTunes 9.2 and the same error 1600. Any other ideas or solutions for me?
Shad
Shad - October 20, 2010 at 10:56pm
when i try to build custom ipsw on 3gs jb n ul on 4.0.1 its say " sry, i haz fail. Can anybody help how to solve this issues...
dmoney
dmoney - October 21, 2010 at 2:49pm
pwnagetool 4.1 is for iOS 4.1 are you selecting the correct ipsw?
Houser78
Houser78 - October 23, 2010 at 1:04pm
Got any news in that? I also have the same issue here...tried cleaning the temp files, complete reinstall of pwnagetool and gets to the same "Failed to build custom .ipsw file."
Abe
Abe - October 20, 2010 at 9:03pm
Can you do this with iTunes v9, or do you need to upgrade iTunes to v10? I haven't upgraded iTunes, as the last jailbreak (v4.0.1) needed the old iTunes, do we have that issue, or does it work with v10?
dmoney
dmoney - October 21, 2010 at 2:44pm
I used iTunes 9, worked just fine :)
gr
gr - October 20, 2010 at 8:50pm
Can you unlock 5.14.02? My 3gs was upgraded to 4.1 via itunes (not by me) and I need to unlock. I have successfully run pwnagetool, but its still locked. Is there a fix?
gr
gr - October 21, 2010 at 5:19pm
Re mrP. I purchased the phone off ebay and it was described as running 4.0 The seller then accidentally upgraded before shipping, even though I told him it was vital to remain as is.Hopefully ultrasnow will update soon...
dj
dj - October 25, 2010 at 8:01pm
Most likely that's the reason he sold the iPhone, because he upgrade it . So you are stuck for now until the next unlock comes out. There is an exploit for the base-band: http://www.iphoneheat.com/2010/10/unlock-for-ios-4-2-4-1-is-on-its-way-iphone-4-3gs-3g/ ,but it won't be ready/released until 4.2 ver comes out in November.
dyohanan
dyohanan - October 20, 2010 at 8:39pm
I followed the instructions with my iPhone 3G and the correct IPSW file but the iTunes and the iPhone stuck a little bit before the white bar (iPhone) reach the finish as well as the itunes grey bar. I have more than 50 minutes now waiting for them to finish the upgrade. Any Idea?
viralbee
viralbee - October 20, 2010 at 11:46pm
I had this exact problem. I did some research and found that it was caused by Wifi-Sync, the Cydia App. I had to go to their website, download the uninstaller, launch it, uninstall then restarted my computer and tried again. I finally got it to work.
dyohanan
dyohanan - October 21, 2010 at 12:03am
Thank you now it works great. Another user told me that just launching TinyUmbrella is enough to pass this issue. Thank you again.
JC
JC - October 20, 2010 at 6:56pm
Just a quick question on the procedure. Do you have to go into DFU mode? In the past, after creating the custom restore ipsw file, I have just connected the phone to iTunes and just selected the file to restore. Everything has been fine in the past. Am I just lucky, or does this work as well. Thanks guys, and a I love your tutorials on this stuff.
abe
abe - October 20, 2010 at 9:06pm
I don't think you need to enter DFU mode if you are already jailbroken. The screen that tells you to connect your device and enters DFU mode also states on the bottom that the DFU mode is used to restore on an unpwned iphone.
Frew
Frew - October 21, 2010 at 8:52am
I always get error 21 .. what shall I do? iPhone 3GS, it was jailbroken on 3.1.2
dmoney
dmoney - October 21, 2010 at 2:51pm
I got error 21 before also, then i tried on iTunes 9 and worked fine.. are you in DFU mode?
Mo
Mo - October 20, 2010 at 5:15pm
Does this same procedure works for iPhone 3G?
vignus
vignus - October 20, 2010 at 5:43pm
Yes, just take the correct firmware and not the one for the 3GS.
dyohanan
dyohanan - October 20, 2010 at 7:36pm
I just do the same with my iPhone 3G and the correct IPSW file but the iTunes and the iPhone stuck a little bit before the white bar (iPhone) reach the finish as well as the itunes grey bar. I have more than 20 minutes now waiting for them to finish the upgrade. Any Idea?
Mommy22angels
Mommy22angels - October 20, 2010 at 3:40pm
I just wanted to clarify something. I have a 3GS already jailbroken and unlocked on 4.0.1. Can I use this to update to 4.1? Will it affect what I already have? Sorry if this was answered.
dmoney
dmoney - October 20, 2010 at 5:30pm
It will restore your phone to iOS 4.1 but retain your current baseband so that you can unlock it with the current ultrasn0w. you will still need to restore to your backup to get all your contacts, info, etc back
subarurider
subarurider - October 20, 2010 at 10:11pm
I just restored my phone same model as yours but did it in "simple mode" not expert went to 4.1 and stayed at 5.13BB and is also unlocked with Ultrasn0w, it did not hacktivate, I had to use an old at&t sim to get past the emergency calls screen.
WJ
WJ - October 20, 2010 at 3:29pm
Does this new "Custom Firmware" allows you to Unlock the phone??
dmoney
dmoney - October 20, 2010 at 5:30pm
Yes, you can by installing ultrasn0w
dyohanan
dyohanan - October 20, 2010 at 2:54pm
I have an issue, I did everything the tutorial says but when the iTunes shows the message "Restoring iPhone software..." and in my iPhone shows the Apple logo and the white bar almost finishing but after 20 minutes both stuck there. Any ideas why is this happening?
dyohanan
dyohanan - October 20, 2010 at 3:23pm
After the 4th. time I tried it works really great, I do not know what happened but it is working now.
dmoney
dmoney - October 20, 2010 at 3:23pm
Did you put the phone in recovery or DFU?
kushfest
kushfest - October 20, 2010 at 8:47pm
i'm having the same problem with the restore getting stuck with an almost full progress bar. I have tried to do this in DFU mode a few times and also tried restore mode, but that gave me errors. What do I do? I've read that wifi sync is the culprit but how do I remove it without restoring somehow?
viralbee
viralbee - October 20, 2010 at 11:48pm
You need to uninstall Wifi-Sync from your computer. I had this exact problem. I did some research and found that it was caused by Wifi-Sync, the Cydia App. I had to go to their website, download the uninstaller, launch it, uninstall then restarted my computer and tried again. I finally got it to work
dmonEY
dmonEY - October 20, 2010 at 1:04pm
Has ultrasn0w been updated to support the new baseband?
dmonEY
dmonEY - October 20, 2010 at 1:05pm
I found it nevermind :) For instance, you can restore to a pre-jailbroken firmware while simultaneously maintaining your current baseband (and thus your ultrasn0w carrier unlock).
Craig
Craig - October 20, 2010 at 2:33pm
I just want to clarify something. I have a 3GS on 4.0 with the 5.13.04 bootrom (that IS unlockable). If I make a custom IPSW bundle with PwnageTool 4.1 and the 4.1 iOS bundle from Apple, and DON'T check the "Enable baseband update" box in the general settings, my baseband will stay the same and I can run the ultrasn0w carrier unlock, correct? Please let me know if this is accurate or not!
dmoney
dmoney - October 20, 2010 at 2:39pm
i updated from iOS 4.01 Baseband 5.13.04 When I was creating custom ipsw the option for Enable baseband update was "greyed out" Only option available was Activate iPhone After restoring to custom ipsw that was created with pwnage 4.1, I checked baseband and it remained 5.13.04 and installed ultrasn0w. Phone is now iOS4.1 baseband 5.13.04 unlocked Hope this answers your question