September 29, 2022
How to Jailbreak and Unlock Your iPhone 3G Using RedSn0w (Mac) [4.2.1]

How to Jailbreak and Unlock Your iPhone 3G Using RedSn0w (Mac) [4.2.1]

Posted November 30, 2010 at 1:12am · 43 comments · Add Comment
Fritz
Fritz - August 22, 2011 at 5:29pm
this worked better for me. http://www.techsliver.com/2010/11/29/unlock-guide-iphone-3gs-3g-pwnagetool-413-unlock-edition/
scar
scar - August 12, 2011 at 12:18am
this didn't work for me. my phone is stuck with an apple logo and the spinning wheel (stopped) on the screen. i tried holding down the power for quite some time but nothing happened
scar
scar - August 12, 2011 at 12:32am
if i hold down power & home the phone will shut off, but i cannot get it back into DFU mode. if i let it sit it just freezes again.
scar
scar - August 12, 2011 at 12:40am
i had to have itunes open before it would detect and restore it. restoring the official firmware now and will try again. what a PITA. not sure what went wrong because the guides here have always been flawless...
scar
scar - August 12, 2011 at 1:13am
after freshly restoring to 4.2.1 i tried jailbreaking again. again didn't work. everything seemed fine and i saw the pineapple logo but after reboot it just freezes. i waited way longer than 5 mins. going to drop it for now and let my comments stew for a few days. write back if you have any suggestions.
scar
scar - August 21, 2011 at 11:13pm
no responses? so i tried jailbreaking with PwnageTool, worked perfectly
Pronojit
Pronojit - June 17, 2011 at 2:19pm
Hi, Thanks for the extensive post. I am having a iPhone 3G with 4.2.1. I want to know whether running this jailbreak will wipe my data or not? Also if I want to revert to factory settings, will I be able to do that after jailbreaking? How to do the same, any links. Look forward to the above two answers. Thanks.
xjpro
xjpro - September 1, 2011 at 3:45am
It did erase all my data, and at the end of the day, it did not work. After a couple of attempts, it just stays in the reboot screen!
Gianpaolo
Gianpaolo - May 29, 2011 at 7:09pm
Monumental guys! Dev-Team u r my heroes! This is incredible good job! ;)
Geeber
Geeber - May 27, 2011 at 4:06am
May 27, 2011 Here is how I finally did it. For a 3G 4.2.1 with baseband 05.15.04 How to Jailbreak and Unlock Your iPhone 3G Using RedSn0w (Mac 0.9.6rc17) [4.2.1]. Jailbreak opens the phone so you can install non-apple software. You will use Cydia to install a program in the unlock phase. I couldn't follow the directions as written. Instead I had to use RedSn0w in a 3 step process rather than the 1step described. Instructions at: https://iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=12947. Following the instructions always resulted in the program turning off in the last phase before downloading the changes and restarting the phone. How I modified the instructions and got it too work. First use RedSn0w to boot tethered. Second use RedSn0w to add Cydia. Third use RedSn0w to change the baseband to the iPad 06.15 version (this has significant implications make sure you understand them first). After the jailbreak you have to unlock your phone. How to Unlock the iPhone 4, 3GS, 3G Using UltraSn0w Unlock uses a program you download to your phone from Cydia called UltraSn0w. Instructions at: https://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=4253
DNA64
DNA64 - May 6, 2011 at 5:42pm
This article states that if you have firmware 4.2.1 and you install the 6.15.00 iPad BaseBand that "you won’t ever be able to restore to stock firmware (it will fail)." This is in fact not true. Perhaps at the time of writing, but it is now possible to restore to stock firmwares, however I advise against it, you should always use compatible custom.ipsw firmwares.
Dev
Dev - January 14, 2011 at 3:41pm
Fuck off, wanker..
randall
randall - January 6, 2011 at 10:35pm
I havea 3G, everything worked and had it unlocked....someone updated it on itunes and now its stuck on connect to itunes......i tried to jailbreeak and unlcok again but after the pineapple shows and does its thing it goes to apple then to connect to itunes....NOW what??? Can i correct this? thanks
Daniel Sartiala
Daniel Sartiala - January 3, 2011 at 8:57am
Hi! I'm on a jailbroken iPhone 3G 4.0.1 (8A306), baseband 05.13.04. If I want to jailbreak and unlock it to 4.2.1, how should I do it? With the iPad baseband or not? Thanks in advance!
jewelstones
jewelstones - December 14, 2010 at 11:22pm
I've Updated my iPhone 3G to 4.2.1 Baseband 6.15 and trying Jailbreak with RedSn0w and it doesn't work on Mac OSX 10.5. Please guide me.