This year Apple brings top-tier specs to the iPhone XR so you can get all the fancy features you want for less. Did they compromise too much? Not enough? Since when is $750 cheap? There’s only one way to find out—let’s tear it down!
● A modular SIM card reader
● Haptics are driven by a familiar linear-oscillating vibration motor
● 11.16 Wh battery
● Copper wireless charging coil compared to FPC in the X
● Rectangular battery, single layer logic board
● Not-quite-centered-anymore charging port
Repairability Score: 6 out of 10
● The display-first opening procedure and easy access to the battery remain design priorities.
● A broken display can be replaced with minimal hardware removal, and with a little care you can preserve Face ID.
● Apple again uses tiny uncommon Pentalobe and tri-point screws to stymie repair, but these fasteners are preferred over tough glue.
● Waterproofing measures complicate some repairs, but make difficult water damage repairs less likely.
● Glass on front and back doubles the crackability—and broken back glass requires an entire chassis replacement.
Take a look at some photos below and hit the link for the full teardown.