September 27, 2022

Install SSH with a Take 2 Patchstick for the AppleTV

Posted February 22, 2008 at 6:40pm · 42 comments · Add Comment
Matt Browne
Matt Browne - September 18, 2008 at 6:40pm
The Apple TV 1.1 Updater link no longer works. Does anyone know where I can find this?
Cousincocaine
Cousincocaine - June 9, 2008 at 9:40am
chmod 755 /Files/boot.efi is wrong (somewere around step 20) and needs to be chmod 755 Files/boot.efi or chmod 755 ~/Desktop/PatchStick/Files/boot.efi nice tutorial. cc
crazyastro
crazyastro - March 12, 2008 at 12:55pm
There is an error with the steps outlined above
I had no problem creating the patchstick on a 4GB USB drive following these instructions. However, each time there was a kernel panic before it would install SSH, so I could never get into the ATV. For me, I had to use the instructions at atv4windows, to get the patchstick working. but the files are the same, so there is probably a small error in the scripts or something. after I got SSH installed, it was easy to get all the codecs installed.
I am currently uploading 720p movies at podtropolis.com if you want to play 720p resolution movies on your Take 2 unit.
jupil
jupil - March 12, 2008 at 12:46pm
hmmm, great tutorial but it doesn't work here. My tv is almost 1 year and i made the patchstick with tiger shipped with my imac 1,5 year ago. I made my first on a 1Gb stick and got kernel panic's. I made then a new one on a 4 Gb stick and then i saw couple times apple logo and then i had to choose language, then asked to reboot, intro movie and then all was normal like before but no ssh enabled. What is the problem please i'm already busy tried 3 days. help greetzz Jupil
jam_uk
jam_uk - March 12, 2008 at 5:28am
iClarifed - my take as a newbie on the subject. If this helps with your new tutoiral: This morning I have successfully patched my ATV. Thanks to the Riddler for nudging me in the right direction. The Patchstick I created has worked. I used this tutorial on Leopard with Tiger install disk and ATV 2.0: https://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=708 Note, step 22: chmod 755 /Files/boot.efi should be chmod 755 Files/boot.efi If you get any errors about cannot change directory then just reformat the USB drive a few times, make sure it's named correctly. Once the patchstick is created, TURN OFF your ATV, unplug and leave it for 5mins. Plug is the USB patchstick, switch on the ATV, wait to boot then press menu + '-'. It will now restart and boot from the patchsitck, you should see lines of code showing you the install. Mine at this point stopped mentioning the Kernel, I wasn't sure if it had completed or failed. After a few mins I then again pressed menu + '-' to restart the ATV and removed the USB patchsitck. The restart, repair, restore menu came up and I selected restart. The ATV rebooted as normal, then on the Mac I successfully connected via SSH using: ssh frontrow@AppleTV.local and password frontrow This is far as I have got so far. I hope that helps anyone with the same issue.
iClarified
iClarified - March 12, 2008 at 1:34am
I will be posting a new easier tutorial for creating a PatchStick tomorrow. Please stay tuned...
jam_uk
jam_uk - March 11, 2008 at 6:27pm
Sorry: then I CANT
jam_uk
jam_uk - March 11, 2008 at 6:26pm
I am having the same issues as: kakkalla Patch stick created, but installing, running the patcstick seems to be fruitless. Just goes to the restart restore screen, then I can connect via SSH. Same config also, Mac Book Pro on leopard, ATV 2.0. Any helpers?
Vikash
Vikash - March 9, 2008 at 9:48pm
I am having the same problem Adam has, please help out :(
kakkalla
kakkalla - March 8, 2008 at 10:12pm
I thought I would give this installation another go but got stuck at Step Twelve. The instructions state to use the OSX Tiger Install CD (note CD). However, I have the original disk that I purchased when Tiger was released. This is a DVD and this is where I run into problems. For example, the first file I have to find using Pacifist is AppleACPIPlatform.kext. The author also demonstrates this in one of the screenshots. However, this file does NOT exist on my DVD. What am I doing wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated