Install SSH with a Take 2 Patchstick (Easier)

Posted March 13, 2008 at 12:45am by iClarified · 184 comments · Add Comment
RMK - July 27, 2008 at 4:56pm
I have created patchstick before using above instruction. But, now after 2.1 update I tried creating patchstick and its not working. I am getting some error in last stage when I am copying files to USB stick. It says stick created successfully, but appleTV does not see it. I have tried erasing and formating USB stick and running .createpatchstick script again but I get same thing. Here is the last step output. what am I doing wrong ? --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- /dev/disk1 #: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER 0: GUID_partition_scheme *989.5 Mi disk1 1: Apple_HFS Patchstick-root 80.0 Mi disk1s1 2: Apple_HFS Patchstick 909.5 Mi disk1s2 Patitions done. Creating System folders... mkdir: /Volumes/Patchstick-root/sbin: File exists mkdir: /Volumes/Patchstick-root/etc: File exists mkdir: /Volumes/Patchstick-root/dev: File exists mkdir: /Volumes/Patchstick-root/OSBoot: File exists mkdir: /Volumes/Patchstick-root/stuff: File exists ln: /Volumes/Patchstick-root/bin/sbin: File exists Copying System Extentions... cp: cannot overwrite directory /Volumes/Patchstick-root/System/Library/Frameworks/IOKit.framework/Versions/Current with non-directory Files/System/Library/Frameworks/IOKit.framework/Versions/Current cp: cannot overwrite directory /Volumes/Patchstick-root/System/Library/Frameworks/IOKit.framework/Resources with non-directory Files/System/Library/Frameworks/IOKit.framework/Resources Copying System files... Adding Kerberos... cp: cannot overwrite directory /Volumes/Patchstick-root/System/Library/Frameworks/Kerberos.framework/Versions/Current with non-directory Files/System/Library/Frameworks/Kerberos.framework/Versions/Current cp: cannot overwrite directory /Volumes/Patchstick-root/System/Library/Frameworks/Kerberos.framework/Resources with non-directory Files/System/Library/Frameworks/Kerberos.framework/Resources Copying Patchstick files... Changing Patchstick-root to Apple TV Mode... Unmount of all volumes on disk1 was successful /dev/disk1s1 removed Unmount of all volumes on disk1 was successful /dev/disk1s1 added Unmount of all volumes on disk1 was successful ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jonas - July 27, 2008 at 3:55pm
Just an interesting note I've discovered: I tried a 4GB Lexar USB stick, and it rebooted and did absolutely nothing. I'm now using a 2GB Toshiba, and it works fine. Hope that helps folks like Risky and myself who ran into this.
Scott - July 25, 2008 at 12:10pm
I setup NFS by putting a mount statement in /etc/rc.local. Lately that has stopped working though, so it's somewhat of a manual process. I recently upgraded my ATV to 2.1 (to use the iphone remote) but haven't re-patched it, and I'm on vacation for the next month. When I get back I'll post the necessary commands. That said, I would say go with samba rather than nfs (samba was my first choice but wasn't working as well back then). http://wiki.awkwardtv.org/wiki/Enable_SAMBA_server
Bruno - July 25, 2008 at 6:07am
@Dustin: I have had same problem. you must delete the root directory manually before creating it again. this must be done in terminal. i found this solution in a forum. patchstick was then created without error message. i did not try yet but it should work now. cu
filtrator - July 24, 2008 at 4:36pm
hey scott -- how do you set-up NFS? -- and can you use it to mount the iTV through the finder?...
Bruno - July 24, 2008 at 4:02pm
Hi, i did everything like told, but nothing happened after reboot. only language selection. during last part of patchstick creatin the terminal says "cannot copy, file exists" but the script tells a success. what is wrong? apple tv 2.1 intel mac leopard. thankx bruno
Scott - July 21, 2008 at 7:26pm
AFAIK AFP does not work with ATV2. Samba or NFS do though, so look at setting those up instead.
filtrator - July 21, 2008 at 6:36pm
anyone get AFP to work successfully?...
ajw - July 21, 2008 at 6:33pm
I did a factory restore. then updated to 2.0.1. then applied the patchstick again. and it worked just fine. I built my patchstick on a PPC using an intel version of tiger install disk mounted.
ajw - July 21, 2008 at 6:02pm
hmmm. I tried this on a PPC with all the correct intel versions. creating patchstick worked ok. booting the appletv worked ok. but on the appletv I now get a login screen (??). after a couple of minutes it reboots and I get the language setup. and then the whole process starts again. I'm just about to try factory restore. and then taking the disk out and going back to the old fashioned way. so the question I have (I didn't see it answered above): can this only be dne on an intel-based mac? as long as the factory restore works, I'm happy to try it again. thanks in advance
Prev 2 of 19 Next