September 29, 2022

Install SSH with a Take 2 Patchstick (Easier)

Posted March 13, 2008 at 12:45am · 184 comments · Add Comment
dynnuf
dynnuf - July 13, 2008 at 1:15pm
Thanks for the tutorial - question though. My Atv already updated to 2.1, does anyone know how that would affect this guide? I've followed it completely and as far as the lack of error messages etc go, it seems like it should have worked, but I can't ping/login to ATV. Is there something else I could be missing when I try to connect to appletv.local or the IP address thats in the menu?
blueOrange
blueOrange - July 11, 2008 at 12:32pm
I wanted to share my experiences of the atvpatch.com for windows. The site advertises an easy solution to patching the appletv. be cautions of paying him money! There are very serious problems over there with that site and the sys op there. I think his name is Kaohu Bishaw. After paying my money to get into the site I found that the current version is no longer available and a much older version is all there is. He posted something on his site about having his software pirated so he was removing it from his site. Somehow he thought that not providing the software to his paid customers was a good was to combat piracy. The sys op offered to refund the $ for people that paid recently. I have emailed many times over weeks and he still hasn't refunded my $. While this guy might be a good hacker, he provides abysmal customer service and the result is basically the same as him being a con artist, even if that is not his intention. He took my money without providing the product which he advertised. Please be cautious of paying for his software. His business practices are HIGHLY questionable, irrespective of whatever product he may or may not actually offer. If I ever do get a refund from his I will post an update, but its already been weeks.
Iskondi
Iskondi - July 6, 2008 at 11:15pm
I'm having the same error as previous folks 20IOACPIPlatformDevice is not compatible with its superclass, 16IOPlatformDevice superclass changed? Failed to load extension com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform. Couldn't alloc class "AppleACPIPlatformExpert" panic(cpu 0 caller 0x003A8D29): Unable to find driver for this platform: "ACPI" I used the 2.0.2 update since that's the only one available. script.sh said it was missing AudioIPCDriver.kext. Anyone have any idea of what might be causing this? Thanks, Iskondi
Scott
Scott - July 2, 2008 at 4:53pm
@Jordan Those files need to come from the 10.4 Intel Install CD it turns out - which is why you didn't find them in the combo update.
Jordan
Jordan - July 2, 2008 at 10:54am
Scott - thanks for the reply. I took a look in the 10.4.9 consolidated update (in Archive.pax.gz) but was not able to find those two files. Any other ideas as to where they might be? Many thanks! Jordan
mac
mac - July 2, 2008 at 9:59am
Roy- you may want to make sure that the boot.efi was copied correctly from the Apple TV updater. I noticed that when I mine failed i was not able to boot...does that help at all?
Roy
Roy - July 2, 2008 at 7:41am
I have also tried two USB drives, again with no success. The aTV never boots into maintenance mode.
mac
mac - July 2, 2008 at 4:46am
I am in the same boat as Jordan, those two files are missing. Does anyone know where to get them?
Scott
Scott - July 1, 2008 at 11:30pm
I'd try a different usb drive. The comments on this post show that it's somewhat hit and miss.
Roy
Roy - July 1, 2008 at 10:02pm
Regardless of which patchstick I use, it never works and I never see the maintenance mode text boot screen. I'm running a brand new v2.02 aTV with a Leopard MacBookPro and I have tried a few different instructions and even downloaded patchsticks. Hold menu & - until it boots? Is that suppose to put it into maintainance mode and get it to boot from the USB stick?