November 26, 2022

Install SSH with a Take 2 Patchstick (Easier)

Posted March 13, 2008 at 12:45am · 184 comments · Add Comment
Scott
Scott - July 1, 2008 at 1:18pm
@jordan. Did you mount the 10.4.9 combo update to try and get the files from there? They may have been added between versions.
Jordan
Jordan - July 1, 2008 at 11:02am
Thanks very much for the comprehensive guide. I'm using the Tiger Install DVD and managed to tweak script.sh so that it recognizes the correct paths. All other updates, AppleTV OS images are downloaded and mounted correctly. But it looks like the script can't find the following two items on my install DVD: pax: WARNING! These patterns were not matched: ./System/Library/Extensions/AudioIPCDriver.kext* ./System/Library/Extensions/IOACPIFamily.kext* I trust from reading the other comments that these two files are critical. Apologies if these are very frequent questions, but, [1] where can i get these files on the Tiger DVD, [2] how critical are they, [3] can I use the leopard equivalents? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
itry2hide
itry2hide - June 25, 2008 at 5:25pm
I'm wondering if the permissions aren't set correctly on the patchstick. Does anyone know what they should be? Everything works fine until up to the driver install. Then I keep getting time out messages.
regor
regor - June 25, 2008 at 3:02pm
Hi, Do you have an easy way to do this with a os x 10.5.2 disc? I do not have access to the tiger installation cd.
RMK
RMK - June 22, 2008 at 10:14pm
The tutorial is very good. If you follow the steps you get working patchstick just fine. I did it on my appletv version 2.0.2. Only thing is appletv update file 1.1 is no longer available on apple server, instead I used 2.0.2 update file from here (step 6 in tutorial): http://mesu.apple.com/data/OS/061-4632.2080414.gt5rW/2Z694-5428-3.dmg
Scott Nolan
Scott Nolan - June 22, 2008 at 5:23pm
Yippea! Thank you very much for the very easy to use procedure. I now have ssh access to my AppleTV which already had firmware version 2.0.2. I used a G5 based Leopard 10.5.3 machine to build my patchstick; and the version 2.0.2 update file (since the others are no longer available). The gotcha was having to dig up my old 10.4.10 CDs for installing an intel based Mac. My 10.4.3 Tiger DVD for PowerPC Macs did not work; and created an empty patchstick (well it had ssh only, and not AppleTV boot stuff.
blueOrange
blueOrange - June 22, 2008 at 12:22pm
The disc I used is an authentic apple disc. This was purchased after the computer was bought as the computer originally came with an earlier version of Os X. So I need to be doing this on an intel mac right? Well the Mac I was using was not an intel mac, but I'm not sure this was the problem I encountered earlier. I might be able to barrow an intel mac from somone but still not sure it would work with the mac install disc I have.
itry2hide
itry2hide - June 22, 2008 at 12:17pm
I tried the DVD also. Others out there; correct me if I'm wrong - I think you need the original CD Mac install disk 1..
blueOrange
blueOrange - June 21, 2008 at 9:43pm
I have not been able to create the flash drive to install ssh on my ATV. So basically I haven't done anything yet. As someone earlier mentioned the ATV updater is no where to be found so I don't know how to proceed with the easy instructions. Therefore I tried with the earlier original instructions. I got to the step to search for the packages on the OS X install disk via the pacifist program. Problem was I could not locate any of the list of packages using the search inside pacifist. Am I using an incompatible version of the install disk? Install disk says: "Mac Os X Tiger, Includes Xcode 2, Install DVD." I'm pretty sure I was looking in the right package as it did say essentials.pkg or whatever in the same directory as the instructions. Many thanks for any suggestions. My goal is to be able to view xvid files on my ATV, and maybe check out other tools down the road. Is there an easier path to simply enabling xvid codec? If thats all I want? PS I have upgraded the ATV to the newest software already, think its 2.0.2 . Many thanks.
RMK
RMK - June 19, 2008 at 8:47pm
step 6 : appletv 1.1 file does not exist anymore on apple server ? how to proceed without it ? does it have to be there to use scripts ? also, I am on 10.5.3, so would scripts work ?