January 29, 2023

Install SSH with a Take 2 Patchstick (Easier)

Posted March 13, 2008 at 12:45am · 184 comments · Add Comment
itry2hide
itry2hide - June 19, 2008 at 1:49pm
I forgot the port number, but it makes no difference. Anyone have problems with this easier setup and an apple tv with v 2.02?
itry2hide
itry2hide - June 19, 2008 at 1:44pm
Can't telnet. telnet: connect to address 192.168.1.3: Connection refused telnet: Unable to connect to remote host The address resolves and I can ping PING AppleTV.local (192.168.1.3): 56 data bytes 64 bytes from 192.168.1.3: icmp_seq=0 ttl=64 time=5.111 ms 64 bytes from 192.168.1.3: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=1.212 ms 64 bytes from 192.168.1.3: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=1.197 ms
Scott
Scott - June 19, 2008 at 12:07pm
If you get 'connection refused' the ssh daemon isn't running, so your patchstick didn't work (unless you're using ssh v2 instead of v1. if you can telnet to port 22 on your apple tv that is most likely the case)
Philip
Philip - June 19, 2008 at 9:24am
When I get to the step to run script.sh, there doesn't seem to be such a script in that directory. Has it been moved elsewhere?
itry2hide
itry2hide - June 19, 2008 at 2:51am
Oh, one last thing. When I try to connect via SSH, I get a "connection refused" error.
itry2hide
itry2hide - June 19, 2008 at 2:43am
Of course I have firmware installed. How about 2.02...
itry2hide
itry2hide - June 19, 2008 at 2:42am
I have firmware installed. I set up the files, run all the scripts, everything loads just fine. Plug in the usb stick, things start happening. I can read all bsd commands, etc. Then, after all of the dashed lines, the resolution on the screen shrinks to unreadable, and the files stop loading. I can make on a "timed out" message at the end of a line that keeps repeating. That's about all I have. Anyone else having this problem?
johnny5
johnny5 - June 18, 2008 at 7:16pm
Never mind - I entered 'frontrow' as the Response and everything's good. I'm in. Now to install other things...
johnny5
johnny5 - June 16, 2008 at 3:11pm
Ah, didn't realize that my Tiger install disk was not Universal. I did it with a 10.4.6 disk and it worked without a hitch and installed ssh. But now when I try to ssh in to the AppleTV with 'ssh -1 frontrow@192.168.0.7', it asks for a Response and I just hit return, and then I get my connection closed after I enter 'frontrow' as a password.
Scott Nolan
Scott Nolan - June 16, 2008 at 9:58am
So I get the following error when I run "sudo sh script.sh " in the middle of step 8: pax: WARNING! These patterns were not matched: ./System/Library/Extensions/AudioIPCDriver.kext* ./System/Library/Extensions/IOACPIFamily.kext* It turns out that this is because I am using the "Mac OS X Install DVD" version 10.4.3 (Mac OS X Tiger). It turns out that this DVD was/is for any PowerPC based Tiger compatible Mac; and NOT for Intel based Macs. I was using the wrong CD/DVD. This creates a patchstick with ony ssh and none of the rest of the AppleTV software. Will try again shortly with the Intel-based Tiger CDs, as soon as I find them.