The sound was created with the help of experts at Antfood, a top sonic branding studio. The task was to create something memorable, identifiable, and flexible enough to be used across devices and in various contexts.
The initial idea behind the sound was to have something vibrant, engaging and easily recognizable, so that as soon as you hear it – even if you’re turned away from your TV or device – you know that something’s about to pop up on YouTube.
The sound is broken up into five parts...
● Deep dive. The sound starts with rich, pitch-bending tones that signify the irresistible gravitational pull of YouTube. This “deep dive” represents a sonic threshold to the world of YouTube, where you can become fully immersed in the topics that interest you most.
● Upward flourish. Next comes a vibrant upward glissando, injecting a sense of joy and playfulness. This element represents the excitement of discovering your new favorite song, a new creator or a new perspective on something you already love.
● Melodic signature. Then there’s a two-note melodic phrase, which echoes the two syllables in the name “YouTube.” The organic timbre feels human and approachable, while the inclusion of melody makes the overall sound more memorable and even hummable.
● Tactile motion. A subtle tactile element further grounds the sound in the real world, while creating additional forward momentum. It nods to the DIY nature of the YouTube community, and subtly evokes a door being unlocked, illustrating YouTube’s role as a gateway to the things you’re passionate about.
● Sentimental harmony. And finally, a warm synth pad plays a major 7th chord. This harmony supports our melodic signature and represents the way YouTube allows you to explore the things you really love.
Check out the stinger below...