October 4, 2022
How Much Space Photos and Video Use on iPhone 4

How Much Space Photos and Video Use on iPhone 4

Posted June 12, 2010 at 2:22pm · 13 comments · Add Comment
Scott Jacobs
Scott Jacobs - June 13, 2010 at 8:47pm
For anyone with a considerable amount of space already used for music, movies, and apps, it's clear that 32 GB of storage is not sufficient. Are there any rumors yet of when Apple may release an iPhone 4 model with 64 GB?
Nick
Nick - June 14, 2010 at 12:22pm
I was disappointed when apple didn't come out with a 64gb model. I have a 32 right now and it's not nough, so taking videos with the iPhone 4 is gonna make 32gb seem even smaller. Apple won't release a 64gb model for the iPhone 4, they might include it on the next iPhone they release next year, but who knows.
Bugs
Bugs - June 13, 2010 at 11:21am
guys... i think this is off a little bit.......... i mean by my calculation.... 1 min of video recording = 90 MB I think thats wayyyyyyy too much
Justin
Justin - June 13, 2010 at 1:42pm
The current 3GS records video at this rate, about 30-40MB per minute. So the iPhone 4 with HD video is going to be a lot more more than that, unless they introduce a better compression ratio of the raw video...which is quite possible. Lucky we can see how far off I am in a couple weeks :)
Onilmr
Onilmr - June 12, 2010 at 2:42pm
Who shoots 250mins doesn't do it oh the iPhone. He buys a sony handycam perhaps.
Purpose
Purpose - June 12, 2010 at 2:55pm
The purpose of the Iphone 4 is to replace the Handycam...
Un4givable
Un4givable - June 12, 2010 at 5:01pm
I didn't know the sole purpose of the iPhone 4 was to replace the Sony Handycam, but thanks for informing us.
Onilmr
Onilmr - June 12, 2010 at 5:06pm
Really? Sony should be careful... the iPhone is a smartphone... If you go on a trip to, let's say, China you'd probably take a handycam or other video camera! The iPhone is only for small videos.
asd
asd - June 13, 2010 at 1:43am
man what i really wonder is how much free time ppl have on their hands.. i mean to calculate how much space it would take taking photos or videos ??? really ?? this guy has obviously no family or girl friend or friends ! LOSER
samK
samK - June 13, 2010 at 7:38am
asd you're an idiot. the sole purpose of this is to determine which iphone you should get. he just saved you some time for decision making and for planning ahead.
Justin
Justin - June 13, 2010 at 1:39pm
@asd Lucky for me I'm pretty smart and it didn't take me too long to figure this out. I also do have friends and family, oh and here's a pic of my girlfriend http://twitpic.com/13hima Also, I used 250 mins to simulate storing videos in the camera roll over time. I know I start to build up lots of photos and videos in my camera roll. So I'm suggesting storing 50, 5 min videos, which doesn't seem too crazy over a few months or so of use.
Phil
Phil - June 14, 2010 at 1:17pm
Haha, in your face! Way to go Justin. For the record, a malicious attack on another person's ego is a self diagnosis of a personal problem or dilemma - from a psych text. Which clearly indicates that I have problems of my own to highlight someone else's evident life problems that would prompt a mean statement like this. Thanks for the info Justin - it's a 32GB for me!
Justin
Justin - June 14, 2010 at 1:29pm
Phil, thanks for the kind words, glad you found the information useful. Also, for anyone reading this I've updated my post after reviewing different things / user feedback and it seems very likely that it will be true 1280x720 HD. Redoing the calculations this comes out to about 118 MB / min for 40:1 compression ratio. If you push that to 60:1 it goes down to 79 MB / min. I think it will fall somewhere between those 2 numbers. 32 GB for me as well!