December 9, 2022

How to Jailbreak Your iPhone 3GS Using PwnageTool (Mac) [5.0.1]

Posted December 28, 2011 at 5:19am · 72 comments · Add Comment
kathy
kathy - January 2, 2012 at 8:52pm
OK, i got pawnage to work but keep getting error 1600 when trying to restore with custom IPSW. does anyone have an answer?
Rodrigo Manta
Rodrigo Manta - January 3, 2012 at 2:03pm
I was getting the same error 1600. My solution was create the custom firmware using PwnageTool and put in DFU using redsn0w.
Terrin
Terrin - January 5, 2012 at 12:33am
I am on a Mac. My solution was editing the host file. There is a line that might say: 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com You want it to say: #74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com Essentially, apps like Pawnage modify the Host file so that when iTunes thinks it is calling Apple it is really calling Cydia. This is helpful for when you downgrade. However, when you upgrade, you actually want iTunes to contact Apple. Placing the # modifier in front of the aforementioned section of the host file solves the problem. There is a similar solution for Windows users, but you will need to do an Internet search to figure it out.
Sh
Sh - January 15, 2012 at 6:15am
When using the Pwnage Tool select Cydia installer from custom packages and not from the Cydia packages (do not click Cydia packages). Then create the custom ipsw. It will work.
Adrian S.
Adrian S. - February 5, 2012 at 6:27pm
Thanks for your suggestion. It actually worked using the resnOw pwned mode.
Linda
Linda - March 8, 2012 at 10:30pm
I had this same problem after trying the jailbreak about 4 times. I finally tried the Redsn0w and it worked. Then I still couldn't get my phone to recognize my T-mobile sim card. Cydia did not have Ultrasn0w installed. I went thru every item in Cydia until I found it to download and install on the phone and now my iPhone is working again. Whew!
Prize
Prize - March 13, 2012 at 5:45am
Your post is a timely contribution to the dbaete
kathy
kathy - January 2, 2012 at 7:34pm
I have not been able to launch the 5.0.1 pawnage tool. it will not open when I double click it. any help is appreciated
Kennsen
Kennsen - January 2, 2012 at 6:13pm
Hi everything worked fine, except for my sim card. I have no original sim card, so I stuck in the configuration. Any ideas? Do I have to downgrade to 4.3.5?
Kennsen
Kennsen - January 3, 2012 at 9:32pm
I found a sim card from my original carrier. I got through the configuration, but when i switched my sim card back to my own one, it got "no serivce" :-( I've already installed ultraSn0w. Any other ideas?
chiuyjoe
chiuyjoe - January 1, 2012 at 3:55am
My Iphone 3gs already jailbreak (pwnaga tool ) but doesn't work cydia. I try so many time ??? Can u tell me Thank
Sh
Sh - January 9, 2012 at 4:56am
When using the Pwnage Tool select Cydia installer from custom packages and not from the Cydia packages (do not click Cydia packages). It will work.
Jim
Jim - December 31, 2011 at 4:13am
Thanks guys! 2 3gs' Jailbroke and freed from their bondage!
Richie
Richie - December 29, 2011 at 11:18pm
Hey I was reading up on this and I bought a 3GS that was pre-loaded with iOS 5, running 05.16.05 as my modem firmware. Am I able to use this method to jailbreak and unlock on my firmware??? Please and thank you!
diridiri
diridiri - December 28, 2011 at 7:31pm
iphone 3gs new bootroom running ios 4.1 ipad baseband, could i perform this tuturial without any problems? i would like to know if this tuturial need and iphone 3gs on ios5.0.1 . Or just update with custom ipsw from pwnage tool Regards
Terrin
Terrin - December 28, 2011 at 6:12pm
I get a 1600 Error. Any clues, how to get past that?
Severus
Severus - December 29, 2011 at 9:56am
same here. I had 3GS on IOS 4.21 with 5.15 baseband jailbroken previously with greenpois0n. now i have a brick which is stuck in preparation stage with error 1600. i have an official SIM from Fido in Canada and unchecked the Activation box, while the configuration of custom IPSW. any ideas?
hfg1955
hfg1955 - December 29, 2011 at 2:01pm
Well - if you are now stuck with the DFU mode - you can restore to your working version of the phone by downloading the most recent version of TinyUmbrella (v. 5.10). With your phone plugged into the computer open TinyUmbrella and after the program sees you phone, click on the "EXIT RECOVERY" button on the top of the page. This should take your phone out of DFU and allow your phone to re boot. Good luck with this.
hfg1955
hfg1955 - December 29, 2011 at 2:06pm
I got the same error number after carefully following instructions as outlined above. It looks like the phone never got past the Apple verification stage. I wonder if Pwnage 5.0.1 may not be quite ready for primetime. I have an iPhone 3GS with an older boot rom and IOS 4.3.3 with ultrasnow unlock.
Terrin
Terrin - January 5, 2012 at 12:37am
I solved the problem. Pwnage modifies the host file for when people downgrade iTunes calls Cydia and not Apple. For some people, the host file might need to be further altered. You might see a line like this in the host file: 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com You want it to be like this: #74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com Once you make the change, you will need to refresh the browser a few times or reset the cache.
alvaro mendes
alvaro mendes - December 28, 2011 at 5:47pm
i did everything like said here, i couldn't pass the activation phase, so i have to use a sim from the original carrier of the phone.. then i access to cydia, but when cydia try to refresh for download ultrasn0w.. it crash installing repo.. any idea? i tryed to reinstall firmware and cydia but dosnt work
gerrit
gerrit - December 28, 2011 at 3:33pm
I can't get passed the activation phase. I have an iPhone 3GS, No official carrier. But it says my sim card is non, anyone else has this problem?
R
R - December 29, 2011 at 1:58am
I have the exact same issue. And I am from a country without an official carrier. I am following every single step and I am activating the iphone but I keep geting the 'Sim not valid' message. What's happening?
rooney
rooney - December 29, 2011 at 4:31am
I have the same issue. I don't think hacktivation is working with pwnage.
hfg1955
hfg1955 - December 29, 2011 at 7:51am
Activate with your original (ATT) sim card first. After activation you can swap out and place the sim card of the carrier of your choice. It should work now.
gerrit
gerrit - December 29, 2011 at 9:10am
I have an official AT&T sim card but it doesn't work, so I ordered a new one on ebay, i'll let you guys know if this helps (maybe the old one has expired?) thanks anyway for your reply
d
d - December 29, 2011 at 9:35am
yep, same here. done the custom firmware, installed it. now phone is stuck on activation screen. don't have at&t card. how do I get past that now??
Mathio
Mathio - December 30, 2011 at 8:47pm
If you stuck in activtion screan... Try with redsn0w.. http://www.trickyways.com/2011/12/download-redsn0w-0-9-9b9d-for-windows-and-mac/ It was help me.. ;)
EJ
EJ - December 31, 2011 at 12:03am
I too had this problem. Any solutions would be appreciated.