GeoHot Explains How the PurpleRa1n Jailbreak Works

GeoHot Explains How the PurpleRa1n Jailbreak Works

Posted July 13, 2009 at 9:22pm by iClarified · 26 comments · Add Comment
RRR - August 4, 2009 at 6:25am
i got an iphone 3gs w/c wont turned on. it got stuck on purplera1n's entering recovery mode.. the iphone wont turn on now.. can you help? i tried to connect to itunes sa i can do a recovery but it doesnt seem to see the iphone
yasha - July 15, 2009 at 8:48am
Real hax0rs not afraid to show code cuz they know there's always another bug waiting... much respect to geohot!
zenrock - July 14, 2009 at 1:50pm
LOL geohot and the dev team need to calm down before they kill the jailbreaking community with all this nonsense wtf is it with you guys giving out the code in a public forum so the experts at apple can look at this and start slamming the door shut on you guys 3.0 just showed how good they are getting at making it harder for both of you and now you just up and hand them all the jailbreak code i have lost all respect for you guys that's like the usa just handing the nuke formula to the germans in world war 2 what are you guys smoking seriouslly. you guys are going the why of winpwn,ziphone extincted keep this up. morons
dt - August 4, 2009 at 10:57am
Hey stupid. What are you contributing. GeoHot, the DevTeam, Zibri, etc... can do whatever they want with their code. Contribute more than hot air then you can call the shots. Until then shut up.
ayyywa - July 14, 2009 at 11:26am
What is somewhat frustrating is that Apple is taking North America for a ride. many other countries banned the sale of locked iPhones ande I don't see a reason why we can't lobby for that in US and Canada. I know that JB is different but an unlocked phone is a right since we are entering in a contract for service. Price with no contract should include an officially unlocked phone too. Unless we all go for this, it won't happen. cheers
Jay - July 14, 2009 at 11:09am
To all idiots/fanboys/haters/and just straight up riders of Internet tantrum.....relax. Step back from the screen and breathe! Why is everyone suddenly turning on each other when everyone here just wants one thing?! A jailbroken phone!!! You have two options to choose from. Stop and pick. Be thankful then move on or actually try and do something that does have a possitive impact on the motion that is taking place. Every software code has a whole, it is IMMENENT. If geohotz is arrogant, so what? Who isn't? Everyone in this world has something about them that they are arrogant about. Relax. If the dev-team are patient, so what, we all have some in us. You don't bitch at a lion for continuously killing prey do you? So why complain at geohotz about his arrogance. 97% of you have a jailbroken device here. And that brings the point of 'the first idiot that tried a jailbreak when it first came out and it bricked your phone, you didn't say 'f that person.....blah blah blah blah' when you read the post '3rd party apps can be run on iphone' so why complain now. Be thankful that him and also the devteam actually take the time to do this. And to the cat and mouse crap. Death is chasing you isn't it? So why not just jump into it? You won't because you want to have fun before it does right? Exactly, apple is eventually going to find the wholes(and it is questionable on whether or not they are intentionally leaving them there or not), so why not enjoy the jailbreak. Life is a risk just going outside, and so is jailbreaking. Instead of bitchin about it, once again, be thankful. And I bet less than have of you don't even know coding in software, muchless to jailbreakin one. I definitely don't, so I thank them for it. And judging from the comments I have seen, most of you aren't even thankful for it. Use it, enjoy it, appreciate it, move on!
Edge777 - July 15, 2009 at 2:36pm
Well, lol, at least I know how to write a sentence. It was painful to read your post! I do have to say, I don't think I trust a "hacker" (cough... ya... right...) who doesn't even know how to turn on his spell check (although, to be honest, most of your mistakes were at a 4th grade grammar level). That being said, I should be fair, you don't get a lot of opportunity to socialize and talk like a normal person when you play video games in your parents basement all day... just sayin'
MOCHA - July 13, 2009 at 11:07pm
I just think he released this information knowing that there is another way to jailbreak. And even without him releasing this information Apple probably only knows how to fix this bug.He seems like pretty smart guy and totally not like an idiot. What I know for sure that he really likes public attention,so he feels like a rock star or something lol
ernstlustig - July 14, 2009 at 3:34am
1st thought: It is impossible to write flawless software once it has reached a certain level of complexity. So there will always be a way to break in. 2nd thought: The only thing that counts for Apple is profit. They have no other mission. Many customers (me included) wouldn't pay for an iPhone without the ability to bypass Apple's censorship. Jailbreaking is fun and attracts customers == $$$ for Apple. This is why I'm persuaded that Apple will always and deliberately leave a hole open for jailbreaking. Just follow the money.
fredrik - July 14, 2009 at 1:08pm
Are you a retard? When you jailbreak your iphone/ipod you can download apps from the appstore for free. Do you think Apple will just sit back and watch when thousands of apps are stolen every day? Lol they try as hard as they can to make it unjailbreakable.
ernstlustig - July 16, 2009 at 4:30am
Oh fredrik! Compared to what people pay for their overpriced contracts AppStore is peanuts. Jailbreak is not Crackul0us. All jailbreakers I know pay deliberately for the apps. I want to support the independent developers.
Jeff - July 13, 2009 at 10:27pm
Guess you Bought it Hook-Lin-Sinker also?.. YEP your Boys are still Behind the game!.. BET: George will beat them to the NEXT Jailbreak, BUT the Dev-Team will "SAY" there doing the Right thing! George will let it out, Then the Dev-Team "AGAIN" will say they HAD the SAME Break!.. NOBODY will convince you of this, but that is JUST what happened this time and will happen again.. YOUR boys are behind George and they KNOW it! But it's for the BEST!....
mr.sudoku - July 13, 2009 at 10:29pm
You're wrong. GeoHotz is a good man. If he didn't release the ra1n Dev-Team wouldn't release the sn0w. What are you scare of, it's the cat & mouse game. Let's play & enjoy.
Edge777 - July 13, 2009 at 10:32pm
Oh ya Jeff, not sure if you're quite smart enough to know all this stuff, but.... RedSn0w is not a reworked version of purplerain. It works differently (and in this case, works better, without the bugs). I know more than a few people who used purplerain, and then decided to do a full restore and re-jailbreak with RedSn0w just so that their phones weren't screwed up. This I know - the Dev Team always acts professionally, and humbly, being very good at communicating and keeping people in the loop. Georgie has always come across as arrogant, conceited, and a know-it-all. I don't know about you, but I don't tend to trust those kind of people.
JabbaTheHut - July 13, 2009 at 10:46pm
Well all I can say is this. To release how you jailbreak a phone of Apple's is the dumbest thing I have ever seen of or heard of and I'm a professional computer programmer. GeoHot is an idiot to do that. That's pure arrogance and lack of thoughtfulness. To the person who said "that's how the cat and mouse game is played", ahhhh no it's not. You DON'T release a bug in the code that's used for a jailbreak to allow Apple to fix it so that you have to find another bug and rework another jailbreak after each OS. It's up to Apple to find the bug used, patch it. Think of it like this, you don't give someone the keys to your house to break in do you? Well putting this out on the net is doing just that. And I don't care what anyone says on here, purplerain was crap. Reading the comments on the web it has less than a 40% success rate which is not a "successful" jailbreak. It's rushed junk. End of story but I wouldn't expect the fanboys on here to be smart enough to figure that one out.
Edge777 - July 13, 2009 at 9:37pm
Wow! How stupid (or perhaps conceited, and rather NEEDY) is Georgie???? Seriously, first he jumps the gun with a flawed purplerain giving Apple all the needed information, and then smugly brags (yeahhh, they'll close the hole, and I'LL find another one next week... - sheesh, what an idiot). Now he gives away everything. It's like he's jealous of the Dev Team and redsn0w and keeps having to get his name out there. Sheesh, George, don't be so needy, and quit wrecking the good work of the Dev Team.
dt - July 13, 2009 at 9:44pm
Uhhhhh..... Where is the DevTeam? I think Georgie smoked them and they are dragging ass at the moment.....
Edge777 - July 13, 2009 at 10:00pm
Um, noooooooo, they were doing the responsible thing, for the good of the most people, rather than just wanting to be self promoting. It's quite evident from Georgie's comments that he could care less about the people and is only in this for his own fame. He rushed out a faulty product, so that Apple could close the holes before the iPhone arrived in the rest of the world (yes, there are actually real countries with real people, outside of the USA). And, tell me this, why, now after the Dev Team has releases RedSn0w, does Georgie feel the need to once again have his name out there, explaining exactly everything? Methinks he wants Apple to plug the hole, so that he can get the great savior... however, what happens if he can't find another hole. Think about it, Apple has been getting better and better at making jailbreaking harder and harder.
Jeff - July 13, 2009 at 10:23pm
Guess you Bought the "Responsible" Thing Huh? They didn't have it, it was released as Purplera1n . THEN the Dev-Team said "Oh We had the Same Break".. With out George they had Nada!.. But NOBODY will convince you of this, You Bought it, Hook-Line-Sinker!
Edge777 - July 13, 2009 at 10:27pm
Riiiiight, because the Dev Team has proven they really know nothing about it. I'm guessing they were just lying when then posted they had the jailbreak, and gave the reasons for not releasing it... (wow, have you been drinking the purple koolaid). AGAIN, tell me, what reason, what MOTIVATION, do you think Georgie had for releasing all this information. The guy's a conceited hack. Not saying he's not smart - he's just, um, well sit all day in the basement of your parents house, have no social skills, kinda smart....
Jeff - July 13, 2009 at 10:32pm
But he did it First!.. Even following Twitter Posts of ALL of them!.. Again, YOU will Never be convinced. I ran Purplera1n, & Redsn0w.. I had ZERO problem with Either, and after the original Package for Windows of PR a Mac Version came out, I ran this also. THEY all do the SAME IDENTICAL thing, So WHY hold it back (If you have it) when 3.01 has been announced and 3.1 in the Works? I Don't think they Had it till George Released it, then there Reply was "WE HAD the SAME BREAK"?.... Either way, Spilled Milk Now!
Edge777 - July 13, 2009 at 11:01pm
NOT spilled milk now. This is NOT about purplerain being released first. This is about Georgie releasing all the how's and what's. You have yet to answer why one would do that???
Jeff - July 13, 2009 at 11:32pm
My Guess would be there is more than one way to skin a Cat... Plus, WHY would Apple Care about Jailbreaking/Unlocking as much as AT&T would? Apple Sold the iPhone, it's Mine Now, Right.. AT&T is the one wanting to keep you. I understand they have to take precautions, but who is the loser? I think He's got another Break allready or Deep in working on it now. Haven't been watching as close as when I'd just got the 3GS. But it's a Big Game, and I'd say with any kind of IQ, Apple would put the Guy to Work! Wouldn't You?
Edge777 - July 14, 2009 at 12:02am
Hmm, you don't seem know much, lol. And um, Apple DOES care. It's why they've made jailbreaking harder on the 3GS (having to be registered and all).
Awayze - July 14, 2009 at 7:27am
GeoHot knows more than one exploit, Dev Team don't. Even if Apple close it, GeoHot can use one of the other exploits he found. 3GS will always be unlockable according to GeoHot and he knows more about the iPhone than Dev Team put together.
Aaron Wright - July 13, 2009 at 9:32pm
Good job guys! Now apple can fix everything you just described in detail!
Prev 1 of 1 Next