January 27, 2023
Apple Asks Microsoft to Stop Airing Laptop Hunter Ads?

Apple Asks Microsoft to Stop Airing Laptop Hunter Ads?

Posted July 15, 2009 at 11:36pm · 35 comments · Add Comment
R00B0y
R00B0y - July 17, 2009 at 2:39am
I switch to MAC after I bought the gen one iPhone, and I'll "NEVER" go back to the M/S again.. I am "forced" to use a Windows PC at work but other than at work, I'll never spend a dime on M/S products again... I've had my 15" MAC Book Pro for nearly 2 years and its still running the same image of OS that it came with when I received it.. not a single virus, not a single piece of malware.. not a single problem PERIOD! M/S need to look at how OS X works ... not just because its a better more reliable OS but because it works how "you" work. Windows makes you change how you work to suit "it" ... OS X just works period. To make a stronger point.. since I have been bringing my MBP into the office I have converted 35% of the other techs (who were previous hard core M/S uses ... to the MAC way) and I'll do all I can to convert the rest.. no pressure.. I just show the the MBP and let the OS do all the talking! Its easy.. load up 9000 photos and scroll effortlessly through them all in full screen.. then watch all the PC guys whimper and cry.. As for "lauren" in the ad.. you can keep your crappy HP.. you'll regret every second of your electronic life the minute you turn on that crappy M/S loaded HDD.... good luck you're gonna need it lady!
rmdvrs
rmdvrs - July 16, 2009 at 5:35am
If everything about mac's are true then why did they ask them to stop airing the commercials. Could it be because people ignorant or not would rather spend less money at first and the commercials would force mac to start selling their stuff at more decent prices. People don't generally think that far ahead so by the time a mac retains its value people are already on their second or third PC. I guess I'm just not cool enough to afford a mac.
Jay
Jay - July 16, 2009 at 9:45am
Because its slander!
rmdvrs
rmdvrs - July 16, 2009 at 1:54pm
Check a law dictionary. It's not slander. It's competition.
Tony
Tony - July 17, 2009 at 6:38pm
I beive the 'askinbg of airing the ads" is true, for a good reason. Since Apple did lower the price accross the MB lines, those MS is no longer correct (just the old ads), Apple just letting them know about the not-correct information. I am sure Apple is not scare of those ads, JUST BECAUSE!
Franc
Franc - July 17, 2009 at 11:28pm
I guess it would be OK if MS would stick to the price issue only, but they go on with stupid comments like ´For me Mac is just about aesthetics and not computing power´. As you start adding on antivirus, Roxio/Nero for doing some so-so video editing, editor, etc, the price comparison becomes much closer (or even favor Apple, based on what I´ve bought for both Mac and MS). So, their add is misleading customers.
Ramses
Ramses - July 16, 2009 at 5:12am
yeah right 2 months if you are moron. and with mac you do not have even a second, you are full of ... you know what right after you purchase mac Go Microsoft bite that greedy apple !
Mike
Mike - July 16, 2009 at 12:38am
Yeah...except the difference is, in 2 months time Lauren's PC will be full of spyware and her drive fragmentation will be so bad that she'll be scratching her head wondering why her new computer is so slow and crashing. Then she'll wish she spent the extra $150 and purchased a computer with a real operating system and hardware built specifically for it. Sure you can buy a PC for less than $1000...big deal. I'll just throw my money in the paper shredder and save myself a trip to the store before I'll give Microsoft another dime.
kameko
kameko - July 16, 2009 at 12:52am
yawn. another brainless mac-centric twit pattering on about malware/viruses etc etc. its not that hard to NOT get them on your pc. i have a macbook, 1 pc running windows xp and another running vista. all 3 of them are running stable and virus/malware free. seems like only crazy macbook users are the ones getting these imaginary viruses all over their imaginary pcs.
Mike
Mike - July 16, 2009 at 1:13am
Yeah... that must be why within my circle of friends... the only computers I am reformatting on a yearly basis, for reasons listed above, are PC's. I have 3 Macs and 2 PCs...and every time I'm on one of the PC's I think to myself "do people really use these things day to day?" Gawd... I'd pull my hair out. But if you'd prefer to use crap to save yourself a few dollars...go ahead.
James
James - July 16, 2009 at 1:13am
You're such an apple homer. Once apple takes more share of the market, the hackers will make spyware,virus, trojans for the macs too. I just bought a pc laptop with these specs for only $675 including tax and shipping. AMD Turion(TM) X2 Dual-Core Mobile Processor RM-75 (2.2GHz, 1MB L2 Cache) 3GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm), 250 GB HD,ATI Radeon(TM) HD 3200 Graphics 16.0" high definition display. With specs like that, how much would a mac cost? At least double the price. Only computer illiterate people get spyware,virus, or trojans. Since you don't know how to protect yourself against those then go buy a mac.
yiyopr
yiyopr - July 16, 2009 at 1:20am
Its actually pretty easy to get viruses/malware in vista. All you have to do is leave your computer powered on (the hackers will do the rest). Disk fragmentation is also a big issue, after a year the computer will start going slow as hell (I've seen this happen first hand). PCs looses resale value pretty quickly, you could pay $800 now, and in a year you would be lucky to get $100 bucks selling it. You could buy a macbook for $1,199 and in a year sell it for $800 bucks easy (I've done this myself), so the macbook really ends up costing $400 bucks. From my standpoint macs are cheaper in the end, they don't loose resale value that easily.
James
James - July 16, 2009 at 1:31am
Resale value? Are you kidding me? I buy a PC with the same specs of a Mac for half the price. After two years, I buy another PC. You can resell and buy another and resell and buy another one. But guess what, the specs on my computer will be 2X better then yours. Anyone with computer knowledge will know you can get more bang for your buck buying a PC. Plus, windows aren't the only OS that runs on PCs. Ever hear of linux?
yiyopr
yiyopr - July 16, 2009 at 2:28am
James, your really stupid aren't you, am I going to have to run the numbers by you. Mac: $1199 bucks, PC counterpart $800 bucks. Mac on ebay after a year: $800, PC counterpart on ebay after a year $300-350. Mac: $1199-$800=$399, PC counterpart $800-$350=$450. Do you understand now, this is resell value, the ability to resell the product after a period of time maintaining as much of the money as possible. These are not made up numbers, these are real numbers from my experiences. On the long run you would be saving money buying a mac and reselling it in the future as compared to buying a PC and reselling it in the future, they don't maintain a good resell value. More bang for your buck BUYING A MAC. Period.
kameko
kameko - July 16, 2009 at 3:16am
yiyopr: or you know, i could just easily upgrade my pc to have even MORE bang for my buck. can i do the same with all the parts in an imac? meh, you can enjoy your subpar specs and self-imposed feeling of superiority of spending way too much for something you could have gotten much cheaper for. honestly, pro-mac people are just so sad.
James
James - July 16, 2009 at 3:31am
I like how you inflated the price of the PC. Numbers are real? More like you pulling them from your ass. Apple store macbook at $1199 with specs: 13-inch: 2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2GB Memory 160GB hard drive You said a mac at $1199 with a pc equivalent is $800. Give me a link to dell,hp,gateway, or any other pc site that sells their pc at $800 with those specs. If you can then I will say I'm stupid and shutup. And if you can't you come back on here and say you're stupid. Your numbers are real? Run the numbers again, I think the calculator on your mac is broken.
DigiHead
DigiHead - July 16, 2009 at 9:10am
yeah, thats because you don't see more than your 3 pc's. But if work as an pc technician and see hundreds every month and all with same problems - slow, spyware, crashing etc then you will see a difference. I don't say mac is flawless, but if we compare how satisfied you are on mac or on pc with vista, then only thing what comes into mind is - microsoft is crap!
Digihead
Digihead - July 16, 2009 at 9:14am
I heard this (macs will have a viruses soon etc) 3years ago - still nada! and you can't stupidly compare inches for screen, ram, and size of hdd - mercedes and kia are both cars, with comparable wheel sizes and other properties, just everybody knows that kia is crap!
Chad
Chad - July 16, 2009 at 10:19am
James, why don't you list the specs? If you hump PC's day in and day out then look them up and list them. Your probably not going to be able to. If you do the processor will not be as powerful. But also add in that a PC is heavy as hell, louder, and comes with 6,000 things/apps you just don't need. I mean don't get me wrong, I would love 60 free hours of AOL. Keep ranting that you can save $400 James. How about you buy a Kia and I buy a Mercedes and we see which one breaks down first. As the old saying goes, you get what you pay for. In this cause with PC's you get DDR2 RAM, slower HDD's, and a worse screen.
James
James - July 16, 2009 at 11:15am
Like I said previously, computer illiterate people who do not know how to protect their pc should buy a mac.
James
James - July 16, 2009 at 11:39am
Digi, now you look really stupid. Of course you compare screen size, HDD, RAM, etc. Those are some part of what makes a pc or mac cost more. The only thing I would agree about you comparing a mac as being a Mercedes is it looks nice. Otherwise your Mercedes has the specs of a Kia. Now a pc being a kia is also a bad comparison. If that pc is a gateway then I would agree. Thing is I don't have to buy a gateway because there are so many other options..just like cars. I guess for you a mac is good since you don't care if you have less HDD, less RAM, less everything. Great if you only browse and send emails. By the way, I own a Mercedes and so do three other family members. They are good cars but when it has problems, it cost a shitload of money to fix. I cannot really comment about the kia because I never own one or know anyone that does. Make another analogy that actually fits this discussion.
Chad
Chad - July 16, 2009 at 11:56am
James, you still haven't listed specs to back your argument. Also, they need to come from Best Buy or Office Depot since thats where all these ad's take place. The point I'm trying to get across is that these commercials are biased and don't show the facts that need to be shown. With OSX you don't require 4GB RAM. Your paying for technology behind the OS. Windows Vista requires alot more RAM. Lastly to drive the final nail in the coffin, go to best buy and see how many laptops/desktops are constantly getting worked on.
James
James - July 16, 2009 at 12:30pm
Chad I will list more specs for you. Macbook air $1799 2.13GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 1066MHz frontside bus 2GB Memory 128GB solid-state drive1 NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics hp pc $1664 specs: intel core 2 quad with 1066MHz frontside bus 4GB ddr3 Memory 640GB 7200RPM HDD 1GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 130M 18.4 high-def (1920 x 1080p) and to top that off a blue ray rom dvd+/-r/rw double layer Now Chad if you knew how to protect yourself against viruses, trojans, spyware would you seriously still buy a mac at that cost with those specs compare to the same cost for the pc with those specs? If you do then I guess you don't know what an intel core 2 quad is. Quad core for macs are running for $2500. That's over an $800 difference. Oh wait, you still would buy a mac because you're afraid of getting viruses, spyware, malware, trojans.
James
James - July 16, 2009 at 12:39pm
Chad, have you ever tried to build your own pc? Like I keep on having to reiterate, computer illiterate people fall for all the apps/software bloated stuff that comes with a pc. Build your own pc or uninstall all the apps/software you don't want and it will be bare. All those people that have problems with their computers do not know what they are doing. I never had any problems with any of my laptops or desktops over the years. And why is that? Beause I know what I'm doing. What's the point anyways of having a mac that can last for years? After a year the computer is outdated with low specs. I buy a new laptop every year or year and a half. Not because it broke down but because I want it to be faster, hold more stuff, better specs. And because pcs don't cost much with great specs, I don't feel bad about doing it.
Chad
Chad - July 16, 2009 at 3:44pm
Intel Mac's are not outdated after a year or even two years. Building a PC shouldn't be brought up. Only 5 to 8% of the computer world even does it, similar to how I could say "Oh just build a hackintosh".
James
James - July 16, 2009 at 8:23pm
Chad, how can you say they are not outdated after two years. The macbook on apple site are considered pretty low for that price. And after two years, you still think it wouldn't be outdated? I guess you do basic stuff on your macbook or video editing so that's good enough for you. Seriously though, you have to admit the price for a new mac is outrageous. Why shouldn't building a pc be brought up? It's still a pc isn't it? We are debating on the cost and what specs you have on your computer. Can you build your own mac? Or are you stuck with what apple gives you with the inflated prices?
Chad Hammon
Chad Hammon - July 16, 2009 at 12:30am
Thats stupid. Yes, PC's might be a "better" buy to the normal consumer who isn't properly educated in most tech areas. But to people that don't want to deal with the hassle of viruses, malware, adware, or spyware the choice is clear. Your paying less because the parts are sometimes cheaper, and I mean cheaper in build quality. Wow it has more RAM. But doesn't bench as high? Does it have a Intel Core2Duo? Can it graphically run most CAD software? PC's don't suck, they just have holes that Microsoft yet again will not let the average consumer know. I want to see a "Buy a PC" ad with the person checking out going, "Oh, I need Spysweeper and Norton Antivirus? I also need to update them all the time and scan my system? Let's see what would happen then. Microsoft=FAIL.
kameko
kameko - July 16, 2009 at 12:54am
lol. if mac users were 'properly educated in most tech areas' then they wouldn't be buying macs and would know they can get equivalent if not better and more value with their money by going the pc route. this is a no brainer. at least for people not brainwashed thinking apple is their girlfriend.
James
James - July 16, 2009 at 1:22am
Another computer illiterate person that doesn't know how to protect themselves. Once Macs out sell the PCs then you shall see where all the virus,spyware, trojans go. Then what will all you mac homers have to say? At least it still looks prettier.
James
James - July 16, 2009 at 3:36am
If you're dumb enough to not know how to protect your computer against viruses then you're dumb enough to pay for the inflated mac prices.
Andrew
Andrew - July 16, 2009 at 8:48am
This is what i would expect from a 10 year old who cant afford the best. A true example of naivety at a young age. As a professional who values his time more than £3 per hour my MBP5.1 paid for it self in a week! Work out the value £££ of that ;-)
Chad Hammon
Chad Hammon - July 16, 2009 at 10:11am
I am many things but not computer illiterate. James, if you realize the specifics behind OS security then you wouldn't have made that response. Its not who has more sales. Kameko, you clearly are 8 years old. Do research, compare specs and prices. I also love how all those PC's are still rocking DD2RAM and batteries that last 1 hour. I'm not a Apple fanboy, I just buy good products. I could care less if it was a PC or a MAC. I work on a Mac Pro. As do most video editors. Hey don't forget to run disk defragment, disk cleanup, and spysweeper tonight. Andrew I hope you are not talking about me?
andrew
andrew - July 16, 2009 at 10:52am
Chat my comments were aimed at James
James
James - July 16, 2009 at 12:05pm
Chad, I agree with you that macs are great for video editing. But come on now, I use my computer to do alot of different things. And everything runs on a pc. On the other hand, my brother who owns a mac always have problems trying to do what I do because he can never find software for the mac. With every discussion between pcs and macs, everyone has to mention spyware, malware,virus. I never run disk defrag, cleanup, or spysweeper. I have eset nod 32 that barely takes up any resources and that's it. Of course people who run norton or other similar software are computer illiterate that do not know how to protect their computer. With the cost of a 1200 mac I can buy a core 2 quad with 6gb of RAM, 500GB hdd, etc. Now if you knew how to protect yourself against viruses would you still honestly say you would buy a $1200 mac with low specs compare to that pc specs? By the way most hackers and computer nerds use pcs and not macs. Before any idiot comments something stupid, linux runs on a pc. And I do not hate Apple, I just don't like low specs for just a high price for a mac. As a matter of fact, everything else about Apple is great. I own an ipod and an iphone. Almost everyone in my family owns an ipod and iphone. I've sold over 100 iphones beginning with the original 2G. I use to hate the iphone til one day I used my brother's for a day. Then I realized all the things it can do. Macs look nice but they are way overpriced.
XXL
XXL - July 16, 2009 at 9:19pm
Hmm, interesting, I'm professional cinematographer and I will ask you one thing. How can you edit native AVCHD format with MAC??? You can't, because your incredible MAC and Final Cut Pro can't do that!!!! Only what you can do is to convert AVCHD to some Apple video format. How beautiful is that when you have 5 hours of Full HD 24Mbit video in AVCHD, and first you have to convert all those material, lose quality and then start to edit. How many hours you have to lose ha??? That's enough for me to stay away from MAC. I had the best will to switch to MAC but thit is ridiculous. And all those years I hear MAC is best for video editing, heh, how ironic is that...
Queen