Apple Kills the Ability to Independently Repair New MacBook Pros, iMac Pro [Report]

simos - November 1, 2018 at 2:40pm
This is what we call dictatorship :). I just can't believe what I am reading. Apple should have a very good reason of taking such a drastic measure. Making more money or having more control (in al sense) on the customer or actually both is in my opinion the real reason. I am growing really disappointed in the direction apple is taking. Is it really sustainable? Apple does not seem to give a sh... about its customers anyway. killing the magsafe, removing very useful ports in its MacBook Pro, etc...
mrjazzman - October 7, 2018 at 4:52pm
Okay, time to think thrice about buying these machines
D4xM4Nx - October 6, 2018 at 2:53am
As if Apple were the only company doing this... it’s ultimately up to us - the users - if they can get away with it or not. Now, now, I’m an super happy 2016 MacBook Pro user, haven’t had a single problem. I understand that while Apple may have legit reasons to make sure clients are receiving the service they’re paying for, this gives off the impression that they’re simply screwing with us... transparency is golden.
carlitoi930 - October 6, 2018 at 2:18am
Would I be able to upgrade my hard drive on my 2016 pro still?
nitemare2123 - October 5, 2018 at 9:22pm
Happy with my self built windows Rigs.. Happy using my self built test rig to run MacOS using VMware
salvapost - October 7, 2018 at 5:18pm
Hello, one question, are you running Mac OS directly on VMware or you run it through Window/Hackintosh?
PaulieP - October 5, 2018 at 12:01pm
We all knew this was coming. Apple is a great company but to be great business, you need to be greedy, you need to cheat, and apparently Apple thinks you need or screw with your customers. America was founded on the principle that anyone can do anything. We have a country chock-full of do it yourself fixers. Home Depot was built upon the principal of do it yourself as well as fries electronics. Apple could care less about that and they only care about their profit margin. I’ve been debating on buying a new Apple computer, I have my answer. PC is looking really good
Ace - October 5, 2018 at 3:16pm
America was not founded on the principle that anyone can do anything. You don’t know what you’re talking about.
PaulieP - October 5, 2018 at 7:57pm
This is the land of opportunity, correct? You can make opportunity out of anything, correct? You’re an uneducated imbecile for being a rude prick and for not believing that you can do anything you put your mind to. After all, an American built a motorcycle/drone and he is. Now selling it online. Also, the man who built a spaceship in his backyard and plans to fly to space. Believers are out there but you’re not one of them Bucko. Hard to believe people can be as dense and dumb as you sir.
stevenlacross - October 5, 2018 at 8:58pm
Ace, it doesn’t matter what America was founded on, but it for sure as hell wasnt founded on greedy corporations making as much money off the poor without letting any other competition into the country.
damonart - October 6, 2018 at 1:34pm
And you do?
PaulieP - October 6, 2018 at 6:53pm
Great point Steven, the greed in corporations has gone too far quite some time ago and now it’s just ridiculous how much money they make.
Ace - October 6, 2018 at 7:25pm
PaulieP you can’t even articulate a logical thought and in your childish tantrum have to rely on throwing around trashy insults that are devoid of any humor. You have the mind of a 13 year old. If you’re 13 then good job, you’re right on track. And again, the answer is no, you can’t do anything you want in this country. Be specific or shut the fu$k up.
A-Non-E-Moose - October 9, 2018 at 12:36am
Stfu fgt
PaulieP - November 5, 2018 at 6:06am
Someone feels like an online bully having a temper tantrum. Guess we can see who the real 13 yr old is now bucko. Good luck with that attitude.
fastandloose - October 5, 2018 at 8:29am
This is Apple, it reminds me when they took that jail breaker to court but the court decided that when you own it you could do whatever you want to it This will hurt a lot of small repair shops and put them out of business
nocci - October 5, 2018 at 5:41am
You guys can have this all to yourselves. I'm still rocking with my latest version MacBook Air and I'm still happy with it. As for the greed, it has been mentioned about security purposes so that's a possibility as to why these new computers are programmed to function. Just imagine a fake part trying to be passing off as a real one and attempts to hack a computer if installed. Not to say that something like this could happen, but you never know.
stevenlacross - October 5, 2018 at 8:55pm
Who’s to say if a tech working at an Apple store can tell if a china small little hack chip has been placed on one of the replacement parts that Apple orders from China? Does Tim Cook personally himself check each and every screen and motherboard and whatever else part that comes into the Usa Apple distro supply chain?
odedoo1 - October 5, 2018 at 5:38am
The greed at Apple never stops, this is just the beginning next are the iPhones and iPads.
1reader - October 5, 2018 at 8:45pm
Then nobody will replace a screen in the mall or around the corner... hm... Apple, apple