In a tweet earlier today, Kuo predicted that the new wireless earbuds will enter production in Vietnam in 2H22.
1. AirPods Pro 2 will enter mass production in Vietnam in 2H22, a successful case of mass production of Apple's major products outside China.
2. The shift of AirPods Pro 2 production can be attributed to the relatively not complicated supply chain and Vietnam's better production environment (such as infrastructure and workforce) vs. most countries outside China.
3. It's very challenging to duplicate the successful experience of AirPods Pro 2 to other products or countries in the short term.
4. The NPI of AirPods Pro 2 is still in China, implying it's not easy to establish a complete non-China production site.
5. For Chinese companies, Luxshare ICT and Goertek, who are AirPods series assemblers, setting up facilities in Vietnam instead of India can also reduce potential geopolitical risks.
6. I predict the charging case of AirPods Pro 2 will still support Lightning, not USB-C.
If the rumors are correct, these may be the last AirPods that feature a Lightning port as Apple will allegedly transition to USB-C with the iPhone 15 and related accessories. The current generation AirPods Pro retail for $249 and are currently on sale for $197.
Please download the iClarified app or follow iClarified on Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, and RSS for more iPhone updates.