October 4, 2022
Apple Missed iPhone 4 Reception Issues Due to Cleanliness? [Easy Fix]

Apple Missed iPhone 4 Reception Issues Due to Cleanliness? [Easy Fix]

Posted July 6, 2010 at 4:34pm · 10 comments · Add Comment
SteveMagin
SteveMagin - July 30, 2010 at 10:22am
I can understand why Apple engineers may wear gloves, as the email suggests but I'm not buying the whole electrolyte angle. Check out this youtube video showing an iphone 4 drop 4 bars within seconds; after it had been coated with a third party thin surface protector. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCxTDyxVVho&feature=related. I think this theory is well and truely busted! Its more a pressure related issue with the hands on the anntena, as mentioned in other posts. I can't help but think Apple knew about this well before retail release. But hey didn't stop me from buying one!
yves
yves - July 7, 2010 at 5:24am
I have an Iphone 4, I do cook, do many things which get my hands ditry and I've never experienced any losse signal issues till now. A friend of mine aalso has an iphone4 and also no issue could it be a fabrication issue
Mike
Mike - July 6, 2010 at 11:12pm
Do you even have the iPhone 4? The issue isn't that u can block the signal with your entire hand. The problem is that one finger lightly covering the black strip between antennas causes the phone to lose all signal. This is what the shielding is for.
jazze
jazze - July 6, 2010 at 6:40pm
i think its a good idea to coat it and i think the best job can be done by colorware they coat the phones and do a good job without making it bulky... here is the link http://www.colorwarepc.com/default.aspx
Tom
Tom - July 6, 2010 at 6:10pm
It wouldn't surprize me if Apple engineers had to wear gloves whilst in their labs. We also know from the Iphone 4 leak earlier this year that the Iphone 4's being tested in the field were being used within cases to make them look like Iphone 3gs, so it's very likely that this is something that was completely missed in the testing stage. I too, doubt the ability of a software update to fix this issue. It really does look like a bit of poor design. So Mr. PhD, where can I pick up some of this organic stuff eh?
Eduardo
Eduardo - July 6, 2010 at 6:15pm
Honestly I would listen the the TWiT show, this has nothing to do with shorting a circuit. It has to do with creating enough distance between the antennae and the hand to allow a signal to pass through. So an organic coating will do nothing, It would need to have some thickness to it. I think the covers that masked the iPhone 4 to make it look like a 3g are probably the real culprit here. They made the distance from the phone to the hand even further than what apples 'bumpers' do. But note also that if you live in an area with a good connection that you cannot recreate this, at last people living outside the US have the upper hand here. I live in South Africa and I never get dropped calls on my iPhone, our 3G network is one of the best in the world.
rockne1865
rockne1865 - July 7, 2010 at 2:43am
Get an Outterbox case! Protects the phone and fixes the problem
Eduardo
Eduardo - July 6, 2010 at 6:05pm
This is total BS. I'd suggest this person listens to TWiT episode 255. Where an RF designer explains the antenna issue in depth. The hand isn't shorting anything, its the actual hand obstructing the signal. Tests done covering the phone in electrical insulation tape had no effect at all.
Andrew
Andrew - July 7, 2010 at 9:34am
Couldn't agree more with the Prof. Having experimented with iPhone 4 in a poor signal area I can replicate the problem simply by placing a finger over the insulation strip bridging the antenna band gap. (salt and other electrolytes still intact!) this has little or no effect in strong signal areas. So while Apple may have a software issue there is clearly a physical issue with at least a few of the 1.7 million v4s sold so far. A thin polymer coating would probably do the job very nicely. Clear nail polish would do it, but is too thick for my taste. Do wonder I'd this is a batch problem or every early device? Bet those leaving manufacturing plans now or in near future will have a coating :)
drkztan
drkztan - July 11, 2010 at 5:28pm
it IS the hand that's shorting the antennae. you actually bridge both antennae with your hand, that's where the signal drops. i have a "GoD" (gap of death) iphone 4, because i live in a goddamm at&t low signal area (read: when i head over to a city close by that has good signal, i never get the reception issues even when covering the gap with my arm...). it is easily fixed by putting a livestron rubberband in bumper mode in the phone ;)