February 7, 2023

How to Jailbreak and Unlock Your iPhone 3G Using PwnageTool (Mac) [4.2.1]

Posted November 28, 2010 at 5:29pm · 59 comments · Add Comment
Sha
Sha - February 6, 2012 at 10:15pm
iPhone 3G, iOS 4.2.1 jailbreak with Pwnage Tool. Only problem is I am not getting the wifi. Is there solution to fix wifi ? Please help.
Miguel
Miguel - November 18, 2012 at 8:38am
Same here. Lost wifi. Does anyone know if this can be fixed?
Joe
Joe - November 4, 2011 at 7:42am
while i was trying to jailbreak and unlock my 3gs 4.2.1 via pwnage tool (when changing baseband to ipad 6.15) , i had made it to the last step of getting into the dfu mode and after that my itunes did not restore it to the new custom restore since it was not updated. Now i am stuck in dfu mode plz help. I just updated my itunes to 10.5
Maxvot
Maxvot - October 19, 2011 at 10:20am
I have some odd situation at my end. I have iPhone 3G wich was jailbreaked and unlocked with ultrasonw. Accidentally, I upgraded my Modem Firmware to 5.14.02 & version is 4.1 (8B117). Fortunately my service provider allowed me to get on to network. I dont know how, may be now in my country (India) we have oficial unlocked iphones. Now my question is, since we can use official unlock phones in India. If I upgrade my iPhone 3g to 4.2 version with my itunes. Will it work ? Cause I have no clue about what firm ware I would be getting. As it is 4.2 is last Os that can be updated on 3G. The reason I need to upgrade to 4.2 is that, my phone is very slow. I dont see many facilities in my phone right now. e.g. Setting up fonts for notes. Multitasking. Home screen and lock screen option etc. Please suggest or help.
iDum
iDum - May 29, 2011 at 12:06pm
Hello, Thanks a lot for your tutorial - however, would it be possible to do it with an older firmware? 4.2.1 isn't very efficient on a 3G. If I want to jailbreak, can I just do it the same way, but with selecting 3.1.3 for 3G firmware? Thanks in advance, Alex
derelict
derelict - April 6, 2011 at 10:03am
Hi, I have a 3G which is jailbroken and unlocked with pawnage tool. I have version 4.2.1 with baseband 05.11.07. Since the upgrade the phone has become very slow and it crashes very often, expecially with multitasking. (e.g. Whenever I try to go to the sms app from the main screen) and also some apps that don't work as they should. What should I do? Anybody else has this problem?? Thanks for any help!!
Scott
Scott - January 20, 2011 at 12:26pm
So, I upgraded my 3G, 4.26.08 baseband, to 4.2.1 - keeping the baseband intact. However, I could never get Cydia to run. It would launch and then immediately crash. A quick Google search revealed that this is a known issue with 4.2.1. Why isn't that mentioned anywhere here? It appears that there is no way around this using Pwnage - you have to use RedSn0w. and then can only jailbreak it via tethered. Has anyone else had a different experience or been able to get Cydia to work? Thanks for any replies.
matrixmaniac
matrixmaniac - February 21, 2011 at 12:06am
Same thing for me: I upgraded from a 3.1.3 I believe. I was unaware that the iPhone is a locked one (did it for a friend who was unaware himself), but using Pwnage saved the BaseBand at 05.12.01. Of cource firt I didn't set the "activate" option. But after the bad surprise I did. The phone activates now, everything works except Cydia (and the unlock of course) :-(( Cydia just crashes right after being launched :-((( I didn't find much in Google about it though... Using Redsn0w doesn't seem to be an option because it requires to update the BaseBand... HELP!
dr. jlo
dr. jlo - January 9, 2011 at 1:01am
I have a 3G 16GB unlocked and jailbroken at 4.1 with BB 05.13.04. I was having a lot of crashes (one per day) and a friend advised me to use redsn0w to upgrade to 4.2.1 and that would be better for a 3G. I looked at the redsn0w tutorial but it looked like it recommended me to use Pwnage tool instead due to my BB. So I used Pwnage tool for the 4.2.1 firmware, following the instructions carefully, but now after I restored/restarted my phone and unlocked it with ultrasn0w, it says "Version 4.1 (8B117)" under "About". Can anyone help with that? Is that display incorrect and I really have 4.2.1 or did I do something wrong? Is there a way to check a 4.2.1 feature that should be on my phone now? Thanks so much in advance. Dr. Jlo
ramiroa
ramiroa - January 4, 2011 at 12:29pm
Hi. I've DL'd the files and followed the steps here exactly and have a problem. When I choose the firmware "iPad.1,1.3.3.2 7b500 Restore.ipsw", I get a pop-up: "wrong firmware selected". What could be wrong? I DL'd the firmware from a torrent from PirateBay. Could this be the issue? I have an iPhone 3G/ 4.1-8B117/ 05.14.02 Thanks!
The Heed
The Heed - December 22, 2010 at 4:35am
To iClarified, Geohot and the Dev-Teams... thank you very much. I toiled for a long time on this - the Unlock didn't seem to have worked after 20 hours of playing with it and multiple attempts - but after nearly giving up, I reinserted my SIM card this morning, and it did. For those struggling - follow the instructions exactly (no skim reading), and persevere. Cheers guys.
Howard
Howard - December 13, 2010 at 11:52pm
iPhone 3G, 3.1.2 (7D11), 5.11.07, jailbroken and unlocked. Yesterday, it was updated to 4.2.1 and unlocked again. 5.11.07 is retained. So far, no sign of battery issue or slowness. FYI. When I cooked the 4.2.1, the only option I chose was battery percentage. I disabled everything else.
DAniel
DAniel - December 24, 2010 at 8:45am
Hey can u help me ? I have exactly the same Iphone 3g on 3.1.2 and sam BB settings ! Using Pwnage tool i always get a message :SBFaskforunlock What did you do ? Yes or no ? Thanks for your help Daniel