November 26, 2022
Apple Refuses to Repair iPhone That Shattered in the Cold

Apple Refuses to Repair iPhone That Shattered in the Cold

Posted January 13, 2011 at 1:49pm · 17 comments · Add Comment
Tommy
Tommy - May 10, 2012 at 8:40am
Dear friend, Good day to you! Our company supply parts of iPhone&iPad&ipod&mac&blackberry. Good qulity&competitive price&professional technical teams will being service of you,if you would like to try this chance. Color screen assembly for iphones are available! Best regards Tommy Chow Tel: 086-755-61580633 FAX: 086-755-61580633 location: Shenzhen of China company: Winda electronic.Co.Ltd.
MarkL
MarkL - January 15, 2011 at 7:30pm
-14? is this a joke? I've been using it anywhere from -10 to -35 this winter and not a single problem. going from +21 inside my house to -35 inside my car makes no difference. I obviously haven't used it for long outside in these temperatures because with -35 it takes seconds for your fingers to freeze & the screen stops being responsive after a couple of minutes. I call this FAKE. she must have dropped it.
fskhalsa
fskhalsa - January 14, 2011 at 6:37pm
I'll point out one thing: everyone is commenting about whether the iPhone's glass can really crack or not at low temperatures, but no one has thought to mention that this could be due to a manufacturing defect. Even if all normal iPhone glass won't crack, perhaps hers had some sort of unusual defect, such as improper tempering, or a bubble of something inside. It happens every now and then, especially when you're producing such large quantities of the part. As Apple's warranty is clearly supposed to cover manufacturing defects, I think they should be willing to repair this. Also, as I noted in a comment above, that image is not from this incident, so don't judge the situation based on that - it is simply a generic image of a cracked iPhone (you can find it in google image search).
digihead
digihead - January 13, 2011 at 6:21pm
SO thing is - I'm repairing iphones, i mean professionally, so i have spare parts, i took one iphone 4 back and from a room temperature dropped it into freezer (-22C). nothing happened. I took it out - nothing happened. I heated it up around +50C and dropped it on ice again - guess what - still fine! She's bullshitting - you can clearly see it's been dropped!
Steve Jobless
Steve Jobless - January 14, 2011 at 1:36am
"professionally" you are the most stupid iPhone repairman ever She did nod expose to low temp only the back glass, in this story It's about an iphone, the phone (want to make sure you got it), and every fucking material has different dilatation coefficient, when all the pieces stick together in a very rigid form factor, the material with the lowest dilatation coefficient may break. Go back to school, you punk!
fskhalsa
fskhalsa - January 14, 2011 at 6:30pm
In addition to what the other guy is saying, I repair iPhones too, and a lot of the repair parts you can get are listed as OEM, but they are really made by third parties, and are typically made from slightly different materials than the original Apple parts. That could be a factor in you returning different results in your tests. On another topic, I've seen that picture on the internet for a while, it's just a random picture of a cracked iPhone, not an image of this specific incident.
digihead
digihead - January 17, 2011 at 9:23am
oh you smart ass - if you would understood at lest little bit then you would know that back plate is not attached to midframe so it can't move - there is enough room for play. i mean of course there is different materials. watch your language - cunt!
digihead
digihead - January 17, 2011 at 9:26am
i was using original back back removed from iphone. so anyway this is very high grade glass and it's not breaking that easy from a temperature change
Mr.D
Mr.D - January 13, 2011 at 5:34pm
She obviously dropped it or something. There is no way the starfire glass would crack from cold, unless he put ithe phone in some nitrogen.
greedy1
greedy1 - January 13, 2011 at 9:40pm
Youre an asshole Mark. Grow up.
Salx
Salx - January 13, 2011 at 3:16pm
The story is this(i'm from norway): she sent from her house which was warm into her cold car which was below zero celcius, when she used the iPhone as a GPS in the car while waiting for a red light turn green she heard a loud crack and the glass on the back of the phone shattered.
Greedy1
Greedy1 - January 13, 2011 at 3:14pm
If the iphone pictured above is the one in questions its more than obvious its received impact. Also... To this day I still don't understand how someone bitches when their phone (which is made out of GLASS) breaks when they don't have a case on it. I understand some people like the aesthetics of the phone without a case (Ill admit its sexy outside of its case) but I know if I am tooling around town without my phone in its case I'm increasing the potential for it to break if I walk into something or fall in the ice. For as much as they cost just put it in a damn case and protect your investment. If you don't like any of the billion cases on the market than be more conscious of where you place your GLASS phone and if thats too much work for someone Im pretty sure theirs some semi-undestructable flip phones on the market :-/
505error
505error - January 13, 2011 at 3:11pm
And so glassgate begins...
Serg
Serg - January 13, 2011 at 2:24pm
How about the lady pull down her tail and pay the $214 for a new one. If she claims that it cracked on its own than perhaps she can demonstrate it to all of us how cold weather cracks thick glass. I came from a country where we had -30 and none of the glass on our house ever cracked "on it's own" Don't lie to Apple employees and perhaps they would of repaired it but when you lie - no success story
Tim
Tim - January 13, 2011 at 2:16pm
I've camped in below zero weather and used my phone. Glass is fine, just don't drop it on solid ice or step on it at all. Besides it won't just break on it's own. Must be more to story than we read.