September 25, 2022
RiP Dev Announces Lightweight Alternative to Cydia

RiP Dev Announces Lightweight Alternative to Cydia

Posted March 29, 2009 at 12:08pm · 29 comments · Add Comment
credit loans
credit loans - June 12, 2012 at 6:38pm
Cars and houses are expensive and not everybody can buy it. But, mortgage loans goodfinance-blog.com are invented to help different people in such kind of situations.
Nina
Nina - July 1, 2009 at 1:34am
I was never a fan of Cydia so I have zero interest in Icy. Don't have it installed and never plan to install it. I'd rather be patient and use an app I trust 100% than have an app work 1.5 minutes faster but then have to deal with complications later and speed 10x that fixing it. THANK U Jay for EVERYTHING u do for the community. I appreciate u and its unfortunate that the ones who call you "insecure" and a "dick" are to ignorant to know what and how much you do for jailbreakers. Thank you for Mobile Substarte, Winterboard, Cycorder, and everything else!! Especially thank you for being on top of what you create and fixes bugs as quickly as possible. So many developers sleep on apps after they create them.
Nina
Nina - July 1, 2009 at 1:36am
TYPO: I meant to say I was never a fan of INSTALLER not Cydia. and English is not my first language so sorry for all other typos :)
demesne
demesne - March 30, 2009 at 11:30am
I don't get the rational behind Icy.. They could have helped improve cydia instead.. The only good outcome of this i feel is .. shaurik will make cydia even better !! cheers :)
Ptpooh
Ptpooh - March 30, 2009 at 7:04am
Does not work on my phone. I install it from cydia, i get the icon in springboard but when i select it open and close the apllication. Not working. I tried to reinstall, and the same thing happen. Try to remove, but i gat a message saying that will remove files needed to iphone to work correctly. I restore my phone with the 2.2.1 firmware, but i get the same thing. It open and then close automatically. Thanks
Cyber Mafia
Cyber Mafia - March 30, 2009 at 3:14am
Got another news Rip Dev is secretly powered by group called WnW Group. and this group host and store all the sqlite info in there Data Center located in New York.
N41
N41 - March 29, 2009 at 8:34pm
Must say, its working pretty well so far. N41
anthonycr
anthonycr - March 29, 2009 at 4:18pm
I was wondering how to get Icy? I have a jailbroken iPhone 3G with Cydia and Installer (do i just download it from Cydia or where?)
Devin
Devin - March 29, 2009 at 3:51pm
Cydia has worked perfectly fine for me.. I find no reason for me to install this icyicy program..
Kyle Flanagan
Kyle Flanagan - March 30, 2009 at 4:08am
Same here. Somehow, I don't find the same motivation to click 'Installer' every morning like I do with Cydia. So, unless Jay Freeman comes up with a new alternative, I'll stay put with Cydia.
cody
cody - March 29, 2009 at 3:11pm
ouch. slammed by saurik. well it looks really cool and clean, i like that it wont take 1min to refresh sources every time i open it up. cydia has gotten really slow and tedious in recent releases. we'll see if icy lasts. i, for one, am excited to try it out
Jay Freeman (saurik)
Jay Freeman (saurik) - March 29, 2009 at 4:05pm
Cydia has gotten nothing but faster for the last half a year. Some users have gotten confused by the new Reloading Data indication to believe that it is slower, but it used to do the same work /and lock up the user interface while it did it/. That release actually made that process /much/ faster as well. Seriously: I do careful benchmarking of Cydia as I work on it, and I am not making any CDs changes that male it run slower. As for the refresh speed, Icy makes two claims: the first is that it refreshes faster. This I false. For one, Cydia also only downloads updated files (the only program that ever didn't do this was Installer). However, Cydia also can use server-side diff indices to only download the one or two new packages when it does download something. Most repositories don't use this, but Ste does, for example, and I occasionally have worked with BigBods to get his repository hooked up as well. This is another of those awesome features Icy lost by reimplementing APT. As for the forced refresh, I am looking into better UIs for this. This is actually something that repository owners really appreciate as of means that users don't continue to get days old buggy software, something that was really common in the Installer days. I think this as one of the features BigBoss, for example, liked most about Cydia. The repository structure also has the problem that users get weird errors if they have old indices that you can't /know/ are due to that underlying problem. That said, I agree that refreshing often when you are on Edge/3G sucks. I am looking into refresh tradeoffa that make sense here.
Cody
Cody - March 30, 2009 at 1:22am
I apologize saurik. I didn't mean to offend; you're right, maybe it is faster but the reloading dialogue definitely gave me the impression we for some reason had a whole 'nother hoop to jump through before getting a package installed. I'm not a developer and I'm just driven by whatever is new and shiny. You're right to be concerned about icy damaging existing systems; but that being said I think icy is at least trying something new and maybe you could learn a few things from each other. For what it's worth, I've championed cydia in the past and have always found it much more intelligently designed than installer ever was. Thanks for all your hard work, really :D. Hopefully all of this stuff gets worked out.
Jay Freeman (saurik)
Jay Freeman (saurik) - March 29, 2009 at 3:04pm
One thing that should be noted: they decided to reimplement APT, and they didn't reimplement it well. They only support package dependencies, for example: they ignore any information on conflicts. The sad part of this whole thing is that Icy, like Installer, is something that users occasionally find interesting for some reason or another, but which makes the lives of the people running the repositories where you get your software, and the developers they work with, a living hell.
rubiks
rubiks - March 29, 2009 at 9:24pm
dude.... dont be a dick.. they are just trying to help... stop being so insecure
n41
n41 - March 29, 2009 at 9:31pm
try to be more respectful next time? seriously.
Jay Freeman (saurik)
Jay Freeman (saurik) - March 29, 2009 at 9:33pm
I'm sorry you took my comments that way. The problem I'm having is only one of support requests. :( By not having supported these important features of APT they start to fracture the packaging community. I want to make certain that users understand what is going on when they make choices about products like this. Frankly, if I'm a dick at all it is because I'm /not/ insecure about Icy, even though everyone thinks I should be (in essence, probably I'm arrogant, not insecure ;P). I seriously just don't want people to be misinformed /before/ I get tons of e-mails with questions about "why doesn't Cydia do X" or "when I install your package with Icy it broke X".
Jay Freeman (saurik)
Jay Freeman (saurik) - March 29, 2009 at 9:36pm
(I hate how this comments interface doesn't do true threading. My comment was a reply to rubiks, as I'm /assuming/ n41's also was, but there's no way to be certain.)
n41
n41 - March 29, 2009 at 9:38pm
you are correct... also...http://www.hackint0sh.org/forum/f127/69269.htm N41
iClarified
iClarified - March 29, 2009 at 10:02pm
@rubiks, we try to be as non opinionated here as possible (ie report the news ); however, if Icy does not address conflicts i would agree that there is bound to be some serious problems in the future. That said I would expect them to improve upon version 1.0. BTW, with all the work saurik has put into the iPhone community he definitely isn't a dick...
LJBonlione
LJBonlione - March 30, 2009 at 12:10am
Im with saurik on this one. This is a "too good to be true" situation. Yea its straight to the point with its interface and doesnt refresh sources every load up but Cydia has been around much longer and like he also said the developers (well I mean not the everyday user) are the ones taking hits. Im sure saurik can implement the same features Icy has (like the option not to refresh sources on load) and also if he feels its needed improve the UI. Installer 4 does have a very nice UI design and is not laggy at all. But even saurik knows Cydia is slow, he even mentioned it at i360 Dev a while back. People just need to adjust and get used to waiting, its not a big deal.
LJBonlione
LJBonlione - March 30, 2009 at 12:16am
One more thing, reading through the comments under saurik's first post, Im seeing people are calling him a dick. That really sets me off, saurik has done so much helping the jailbreak community (such as Cydia, Cycorder, WinterBoard, MobileSubstrate, Cydia Store, etc) and then people are calling him a dick for "hating" on Icy. Ha, the haters should be happy saurik doesnt fight back like some angry developers do.
Kyle Flanagan
Kyle Flanagan - March 30, 2009 at 4:14am
And Jay, you rock! Your creativity & style never ceases to amaze me. And that's a compliment with much respect :)
Irwan
Irwan - March 30, 2009 at 5:26am
GO GET THEM SAURIK:) I LOVE YOUR WORK BUDDY AND WILL STAY WITH IIT :) THANKS
ATTNCK
ATTNCK - March 30, 2009 at 6:29am
I hated installer and when Cydia was released I was thanking the heavens, sure it took some time to work out a few things but it was worth the wait, it had many things I wanted that were missing from Installer. I must admit however that Landscape Mode will be useful. I think all apps should work no mater how your holding the device. It would help when parts of the screen stop functioning. And what happened to batch installing?
Jay Freeman (saurik)
Jay Freeman (saurik) - March 30, 2009 at 7:15am
Cydia has batch installing, but it is kind of a weird UI. Hitting Cancel on the Confirm screen will let you "Continue Queuing". As for landscape, I can see it being useful in the web browser, but the rest of the information is designed to be narrow. Personally, I agree with the idea, but I phrase it: I want the app to work no matter how I'm sitting down. ;P If I'm lying on my bed, on my side, I don't want it to rotate the screen. The only real reason half these apps rotate is to give you a landscape keyboard, and you are only going to be spending time typing into the web views. That said, I'm working on this support, as I'm intending on having you type /a lot/ into webviews in the near future in Cydia ;P.
Lusu
Lusu - March 30, 2009 at 10:07am
While opinions are split in 2 groups, calling people names is rude at least. Cydia started slow but then it was a storm. Saurik did a great job for all of us, no questions about it, so he deserves the proper credit. While nobody can say that a new interface will be nicer/more useful/better or not, breaking things is a big deal and we should all be informed about that. I'm pretty sure that saurik is working hard on features, bug-fixes and optimisations and all suggestions to his products are welcome. If there will be a real 100% compatible alternative that may be faster/better community will probably switch like it happened in the past with Installer-2-Cydia. A little competition is not bad at all, on the contrary it will help us grow to better products.
Kyle Flanagan
Kyle Flanagan - April 1, 2009 at 10:05am
Microsoft Buys Cydia on Cydia Home. Good one Jay. Ah, the joys of April 1st & you've been made. I actually saw the video too so does that mean I've been made? - LOL
Armando (XjSv)
Armando (XjSv) - June 30, 2009 at 3:18pm
Agreed i personally do not like icy not only because it lacks many needed features but from a end user point of view it feels like its only doing half a job. id rather wait a couple of min and know the app installed correctly then do it in 10 sec and have it crash everytime