November 28, 2022
iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max Owners Report Problems Charging With a Lightning Cable [Video]

iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max Owners Report Problems Charging With a Lightning Cable [Video]

Posted September 30, 2018 at 1:53am by iClarified · 17829 views
A growing number of iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max owners are reporting a problem when charging their devices using a Lightning cable.

In a post on Apple's support forums, users describe several different problems of varying severity. Most commonly, plugging a sleeping iPhone XS to charge fails to wake up the device and initiate charging. Often a tap on the display will wake up the device and cause charging to begin.

Some say that even after tapping to wake, their phones won't charge. Others experience an issue where their phone will freeze and not wake.

Unbox Therapy demonstrates several of these issues in the video below. Take a look, try it on your device, and let us know what happens in the comments!

Apple has yet to officially address the problem. You can follow iClarified on Twitter, Facebook, Google+, or RSS for updates.

Read More

Add Comment
Would you like to be notified when someone replies or adds a new comment?
Yes (All Threads)
Yes (This Thread Only)
iClarified Icon
Would you like to be notified when we post a new Apple news article or tutorial?
You must login or register to add a comment...
zetaprime - October 2, 2018 at 4:58am
When I plug in my XS Max it wakes up and starts charging as expected.
zetaprime - October 2, 2018 at 4:56am
No such problem on my XS Max. Charging like always. No wi-fi problems either.
Great! - October 2, 2018 at 1:25am
Go to Face ID and Password settings and set USB Accessories to ON. Problem solved! It’s a feature not a bug!
Great! - October 3, 2018 at 12:56am
To prevent the USB Lightning port from being used as an attack vector by hackers, the port is disabled after a period of inactivity. Hence the charging is disabled. It is a feature of ios12. If you want to re-enable the port for always, then go to Face ID and password settings, and turn on USB accessories!
HarryWilly - October 1, 2018 at 3:02pm
I don’t even see this as a problem that would affect me using y phone. 90% my iPhone is charging on a pad the other 10% cable. Why is it so hard for you to wake the device up then plug it in?
17 More Comments
Recent. Read the latest Apple News.
Tutorials. Help is here.
How to Fix 'No Matching Host Key Type Found' on Mac
Where to Download macOS Ventura
How to Stream the World Cup Using a VPN
AppleTV Firmware Download Locations
Where To Download iPhone Firmware Files From
Deals. Save on Apple devices and accessories.