AT&T to Combat Verizon iPhone With New Messaging Plans?

AT&T to Combat Verizon iPhone With New Messaging Plans?

Pain Reaper - January 20, 2011 at 5:39am
Damn AT&T is expensive.. I have 3000 Text Messages included (and 3000 minutes) in my $13/month contract here in Sweden.. Well sure it\'s only for when I message/call someone using the same operator as me (which pretty much all of my friends do) but I only pay $0.10 per SMS/minute to every one else.. Crappy part is I only have 1 GB of data/month included (at 6 Mbit/sec) but I can buy additional data; 200 MB - $4 1 GB - $10 5 GB - $19 Now I know why so many don\'t like AT&T..
Alex - January 19, 2011 at 7:55pm
You\'re all fucking nuts! You shouldn\'t have to pay AT ALL for a text plan if you have minutes as text messages run on the same data stream as voice calls! That said, if they want to charge you for it AT ALL, then they should include text messages in your data plan, NOT in addition to your data plan. You\'re all retards for still buying in to this crap when other carriers include it for free. They changed all this when the iPhone came out and forced everyone into it. It\'s a sad shame and I wish there was a class action lawsuit against all carriers that still charge for texts that I could join. They only charge us because we let them. We didn\'t have to pay for texts in the past and many carriers still don\'t charge if you have unlimited voice, something many people forget. AT&T just shoves it down our throats. In fact, at one point AT&T made a smart marketing move and started to shove text plans down our throats by increasing the cost of individual text messages up to $0.20 cents. Another fact; you can\'t decline a text message the way you can a voice call and you WILL be charged for receiving that text unless you block text messages entirely from your contract and texting is turned on for every contract by default (much like spam). AT&T also tried to fuck over all of their original customers who had this specific plan that was costing AT&T millions so to get out of it, they sold their wireless service to Cingular who then gradually turned them over time to new plans as they they\'re original AT&T contracts no longer held any weight and then sold the service back to AT&T (or should I say AT&T bought it back). Here is a company that runs much like the automobile industry in America trying to squeeze every last cent out of it\'s customers on outdated technology until they have no choice but to upgrade their products and services (but not to current technological standards met globally) to hold off customers from switching to other companies.
Joe - January 19, 2011 at 11:06pm
Wow! Ex-AT&T employee that you are generally afraid of yet still say HI on the street to \"just in case\"! Chill out - geesh. No one is forcing any contract on you or plan. Jump the boat and hit up Sprint!
Kingsford - January 19, 2011 at 3:38pm
I dont see why Carriers dont just make 1 messaging plan and it\'s unlimited. $20 for Unlimited is still horrible. They should consider dropping that to say $10-15 range. Then maybe it will help some people stay with AT&T. As for me.... Off to Verizon I go (They give better government discounts).
Nick - January 19, 2011 at 3:58pm
I\'ll be moving to Verizon once there\'s a 4G iPhone on their network, until then it\'s not worth it.
Kingsford - January 20, 2011 at 1:50am
I dont see why people are getting so hyped up about this \"4G\"..... true 4G wont be around until 2020 if we are lucky. This 4G now is pretty much a marketing campaign. Gizmodo did a great article about it a few months ago.
Casey - January 19, 2011 at 3:21pm
Sooo... what i\'m reading... if we have the $5/200 message (being I don\'t text at all) we will be paying more now? How is the combating Verizon? Just curious... or am I reading this wrong?
Mr.D - January 19, 2011 at 8:39pm
If you already have the $5/200 text plan, you\'re grandfathered in. You won\'t have to pay more.
Crunch - January 20, 2011 at 12:41am
Make sure not to forget to tell whatever rep you go through the next time you upgrade your line that you want to KEEP your $5/200 feature!
Nick - January 19, 2011 at 2:43pm
If they really wanted to combat the Verizon iPhone they would bring back the unlimited data plan. It\'s really a slap in AT&T\'s face when Verizon has unlimited data plans for the iPhone and they don\'t.
Frank - January 19, 2011 at 2:31pm
Useless!!!
Nick - January 19, 2011 at 2:02pm
How is this combating the Verizon iPhone? All they did was make a $10 plan instead of the $15 plan, which is actually screwing over those who had the $15 plane. If they want to combat it, lower the unlimited plan price. $20 a month is a ridiculous amount for unlimited text messaging, it should be $10, especially since it costs them nothing anymore for people to send text messages.
Shaun - January 19, 2011 at 2:15pm
Typical ATT, The false economy here is that text\'s over the alloted plan amount go from the current rate of .05 to 10 cents.
iceblu121 - January 19, 2011 at 2:17pm
i like this idea even unlimited for $15 would be somthing to combat verizon with just copying verizons plans at the same price dont do anything for att except show fear maybe bring back unlimited data for those other people who want it .