December 2, 2022

How to Capture Your iPhone 3GS iBEC and iBSS (Windows)

Posted July 1, 2009 at 10:25pm · 140 comments · Add Comment
devileye2002
devileye2002 - September 23, 2009 at 4:55pm
i've updated my phone by wrong to apple 3.1 firmware so does it worth to Capture iBEC and iBSS ?
Jamie Barrett
Jamie Barrett - September 13, 2009 at 4:36am
I didn't capture any details before I jb'd, Am I stuffed? Or will I be fine? Can I capture them whilst its jailbroken?
Dan
Dan - September 10, 2009 at 7:51pm
I have a 16gb 3GS currently running 3.0.1. I have tried this process many times (with the phone plugged in normal, in recovery mode, in DFU mode) and cannot get itunes to load the iPhone2,1_3.0_7A341_Restore.ipsw firmware to my phone. Every time it just says that my device is not eligible for this firmware. What can I do? Is there a way of blocking itunes from checking eligibility and just installing? Or is there an app I can install on the phone to fetch the iBEC and iBSS straight out?
qblake
qblake - November 28, 2009 at 7:53pm
I'm not sure if this will work, but it's worth a try and doesn't require any restoring. Download the firmware, then make a copy and change the file extension from .ipsw to .zip, unzip it, go to Firmware/dfu and there you go! The iBEC and iBSS are there!
Joe
Joe - August 13, 2009 at 1:31pm
Hello I am only getting the iBEC.n88ap.RELEASE.dfu one and no IBSS. I have tried the grabber and manually, but cant find that file. I have the 3GS with 3.0.1 firmware. Can any one advise me? Thank you
Joe
Joe - August 13, 2009 at 1:35pm
I forgot to mention I am running Windows XP and itunes 8.2.1.6 , Please help before I kick this phone at a wall. :P
nick
nick - September 13, 2009 at 12:20pm
Try upgrading your itunes to 9.0
Rand
Rand - August 4, 2009 at 2:53pm
Thanks. Got the ibes but could not get the ibss...and currently give up. Had problems getting into the dfu mode (or out of it for that matter)....then when itunes finally worked out it forced me to update to 3.0.1....(trial 1) and then restored with shift restore to 3.0 version...both times grabbed the temp file...both times it showed up as ibec... not the ibss file....so i hope the ibec file is enough as I give up...for now!
manu
manu - July 19, 2009 at 1:21am
i just bought a new iphone 3gs today and tried this and i think i just 'bricked' my iphone. i'm not able to restore it using the apple provided update, nor can i restore it using the firmware provided at the link from iclarified. i don't know if this has happened to anybody else but if anyone can help i'd really appreciate it. i keep getting the following error: the iphone "iphone" could not be restored. an unknown error occurred (14). i'm using windows 7 but tried restoring it on two other computers; one running windows vista & the other running windows xp. i've been searching online for a the last few hours with no luck! one person said, their iphone started working the next morning when they tried to restore it so i'm kinda hoping i end up in the same situation but if not i'm screwed. or well i guess ill have to take it to the apple store.
Paul I
Paul I - July 21, 2009 at 1:18am
I just tried the initial restore on 8.2.0.23 and I kept getting the same error you did. I installed 8.2.1 and it has worked fine so far... I'm not out of the woods yet though. I think I forgot the password to my backup!
Gal
Gal - July 18, 2009 at 5:09pm
Hello, can i preform this actions with itunes 8.2.1? please advice Thx
Kacy
Kacy - December 2, 2011 at 1:53pm
Normally I'm agansit killing but this article slaughtered my ignorance.
brandon
brandon - July 15, 2009 at 10:14pm
Does someone know if I need to re-capture these files each time I restore? Or does the "signature" in these files NOT change with each restore??? Thanks for the help
daniel
daniel - August 4, 2009 at 11:12am
hey @ brandon, each time apple will send u a different certificate but it is custom to your iphone. even though there will be differences in the certs apple sends you, if you save any of them then they will work no probs because they are officially signed. and after that there is no more validation.
smack
smack - July 12, 2009 at 10:35pm
C:\Users\All Users\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Temporary Files\Firmware\dfu On Vista this is where i found my iBSS file as well. Even using the Grabber program it just does not show up tin the %temp% directory.
Jesse Dukes
Jesse Dukes - August 27, 2009 at 8:05pm
Thanks for the note, that's exactly what I was looking for. In XP the directory to find BOTH files is C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Temporary Files\Firmware\dfu I assume that they are there while doing the restore in DFU mode.
dddccc
dddccc - July 11, 2009 at 8:43pm
in my case I grabbed both files, BUT there were no questions reg. restoring "as a new phone" or "restore from backup...". iTunes asks me for the personalö information to complete the account activation. is it jusual? Do I need to do it? tx