September 28, 2022
How to Build an iPad Teleprompter [DIY]

How to Build an iPad Teleprompter [DIY]

Posted September 26, 2010 at 3:10pm · 11 comments · Add Comment
Streetwise
Streetwise - April 21, 2011 at 6:17pm
I can't figure out how you attach the car window bracket (3/8" male) to the top of the ball head (1/4" male). I ordered all the parts, but I think there's a step missing...
QueeenGeek
QueeenGeek - October 13, 2010 at 12:58am
Thanks for posting this. I definitely want to build this..I already have teleprompter glass, ipad, teleprompter app. Believe it or not, I built a no-budget version using a 10x8 picture frame, iPad box & packing tape...it works but a temporary solution. Needless to say, I want something better and more professional. Do you have a suggestion for a tripod that won't break the bank? I just bought a Canon Vixia M31 cam and most of my recordings will be in home for podcasting. Thanks @QueenGeek
Mark Johannessen
Mark Johannessen - September 28, 2010 at 11:39am
Also - for $1.99 there is mPrompt as an alternative iPad teleprompter app
Richard
Richard - September 26, 2010 at 10:31pm
We use a teleprompter from www.prompt-it.com.au. Works great and you don't need to build it and it is actually cheaper than buying all the parts. Rich
Joey
Joey - September 27, 2010 at 12:59am
That prompt-it.com.au teleprompter is useless. It can't move with the camera because it requires its own stand and neither does it have anything to prevent reflections and light between lens and the glass.
Richard
Richard - September 27, 2010 at 1:33am
@ joey: it actually comes with a cover which fits over glass and stops reflections perfectly - which is not very clear on their website that is true. We work in video productions and yes you are right it doesn't move with the camera, but its cheap, portable and setup so quick. The downside of not being fixed to the camera is outweighed by price, portability and fast setup. I use one and I would call it everything but useless: easy to pop into my kit and use if needed on a shoot.
Frank
Frank - September 26, 2010 at 5:12pm
vdKroon
vdKroon - September 26, 2010 at 3:23pm
What's the camera for?
vdKroon
vdKroon - September 26, 2010 at 3:25pm
Okok, the camera is THE camera.. Sorry!
Mike McKenzy
Mike McKenzy - September 26, 2010 at 4:45pm
Um... What's the reason for all the fuss? Maybe I just don't know the principals behind a real TelePrompTer. (very weird autocorrection, huh?) But why not just mount the iPad under your camera with a boom stand or another tripod and call it a day? Why the reflective glass?? I think i need to google "how a TelePrompTer works".
Frank
Frank - September 27, 2010 at 1:00am
Because if u aren't looking directly into the barrel of the camera it is painfully obvious you are reading. Thus the need for the glass so u can place the words directly over the lens (sorry accidentally posted this as new comment as well).