September 27, 2022

How to Jailbreak Your iPad Using RedSn0w (Windows) [4.2.1]

Posted November 23, 2010 at 11:46pm · 39 comments · Add Comment
mark
mark - February 4, 2013 at 10:34am
Throw Away your Ipad ! Thats It.
luizcoelho
luizcoelho - January 13, 2011 at 2:51pm
i've the 4.2.1 firmwire already instaled in my ipad. Do I have to do the restore process? Can I go directly and run REDSNOW???
Bio
Bio - January 10, 2011 at 4:39pm
every time i turn off my ipad i must tethered it? is there any way to keep it tethered always?
Bio
Bio - January 9, 2011 at 10:22am
hi, i restored my ipad but once im jailbreaking it using redsn0w i see a message "ctx error not found" then it keeps on saying please wait and it restart again and keep freezing on the apple logo. please help
the furb
the furb - January 1, 2011 at 11:40pm
i get through the jb process fine but when i try to reboot just tethered it looks like its working then just hangs at uploading kernal and the pineapple on the ipad and it just sits there then eventully reboots and cydia doesnt work so idk what im doing wrong must have tried it 15 to 20 times!!! any help is awesome thank you
Clarice
Clarice - December 25, 2010 at 5:59am
Hi..what is the meaning of ..."You will only be able to perform a tethered jailbreak at this time. This means you will need Redsn0w's assistance to boot into your jailbroken device. If you want to jailbreak a lower firmware version you can find the appropriate tutorial here.
TheCoose
TheCoose - December 28, 2010 at 3:34pm
It means that anytime the device is powered off (hold the power button down and slide to shut off), you will need Red Snow to get it running again. If you're not comfortable with this, don't do it and wait for a non tethered version someday
Chris
Chris - December 13, 2010 at 10:29pm
I get stuck on the "Uploading ramdisk" portion of the JB. My iPad shows "Downloading Jailbreak Data..." but stays like that for a long time. I've tried multiple times running RedSn0w as an administrator and in XP SP3 compatibility mode to no avail. Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but I guess I'll soon try another computer. Any ideas?
Chris
Chris - December 13, 2010 at 11:02pm
Well, I just tried for the last time using XP SP3 compatibilty AND "run as administrator" from my Windows 7 PC. Looks like it worked PERFECTLY. I can't wait to unleash the power of this device!
Sherifftruman
Sherifftruman - January 11, 2011 at 3:24pm
I also had the same problem. I am on Win 7/64. I tried everything, including run as admin, doing it form the admin account, I even tried it on my WIndows XP 32 partition. IT never worked. I finally stumbled on a thread that said it had somethign to do with processor affinity settings on MP or Multi-Core systems. I started redsn0w, then opened Task Manager. FInd the redsn0w process and right click, go to Affinity and uncheck Processor 0. If you get access denied, make sure you are admin and that you have show processes from all users checked. Once the affinity setting is changed, then go back to redsn0w and keep going as instructed. Worked the first time after dozens if not scores of tries previously for me.
madmanC
madmanC - January 19, 2011 at 8:55pm
I also encountered the same problem on my Windows 7, but I tried running it as administrator and it got through. But my cydia is unable to start.
Eddie
Eddie - December 4, 2010 at 3:42am
I jail broke the iPad, installed few apps throughout installous and Cydia, was very happy, then Cydia had few updates, I did, next it went to reboot, and never came back to life, stayed on the apple logo for the whole day, a tried rebooting manually over 10 times and still same luck...hook it up to iTunes and it won't detect iPad, tried few times .. Battery dies, recharged it and took it to the apple store,, the guy there hooked it to a special software to restore the iPad, without iTunes detect. Glad to have back and but not jail broken yet, waiting maybe for a fix... Apple store guy didn't ask too much questions.. I told him after I installed the the version of the 4.2.1, this crash happened.. Service, free..
Nick
Nick - December 4, 2010 at 9:38am
I have the same problem, what I did was rejailbreak the Ipad and then when done do NOT download the cydia update choose ignore temperary and now it works great
Yll Shahini
Yll Shahini - January 8, 2011 at 7:42pm
yeah but HOW did you rejailbreak it every time i do the instructions (hold the power button for 10 seconds....) it shuts down and doesn't get detected by redsnow :S pls dear jailbreak user HELP ME D:
Titi
Titi - December 3, 2010 at 9:54pm
Thx for the tutorial and the replies! Helped me when i got stuck on limerain exploit! win 7 need to set compatibility to win xp and run as admin!
take too long to reboot
take too long to reboot - December 1, 2010 at 6:19pm
it takes too long to reboot. it seems forever after RedSnow process. please help if get into similar situation
gauri
gauri - January 15, 2011 at 2:15pm
Hi, its taking too long to reboot after redsn0w process and the apple logo has been there for more that 15minutes. Please help. does it take so long? is it normal or have i done something wrong?