October 4, 2022
Steve Jobs Suggests Blu-Ray on Mac Not Coming Soon

Steve Jobs Suggests Blu-Ray on Mac Not Coming Soon

Posted June 30, 2010 at 10:45pm · 10 comments · Add Comment
HO
HO - July 1, 2010 at 4:58pm
...who gives a MAC, is like the iPhone4, meant to last a year!!!, on the other hand he's been saying the same about HDMI and BR it's been since Ps3 came out (i know it was before) but Ps3 made it mainstream and is going to stay, good for Apple ppl, they can pay and download, and re-pay to re-download!!!
David
David - July 1, 2010 at 10:04am
Isn't it obvious. Blu-Ray competes with the HD content offered for sale in iTunes Store. Steve is just protecting his movie/rental revenue stream. Besides, what does Apple have to gain by installing Blu-Ray optical drives in their computers... Nothing.
tims0891
tims0891 - July 1, 2010 at 10:01am
I do agree that internet downloads do look like the wave of the future for media, however, the point is very valid concerning data backups and storage and even movies. What this will do to us now is that we will be FORCED to have to download any type of HD movie from Apple and give them yet more money. Bottom line is that once again it seems as though the customer/consumer is being brushed aside for their request for Blu-Ray. More and more it is all about Apple and less about what their customers are really wanting out of their purchases. In conclusion though...I also would agree with SamK.... improve the internet speeds, or better yet tackle your AT&T cancer that limits your devices from all they are capable of. Oh wait, I think I just made a consumer request...it will be brushed off...what was I thinking?!?
Theodore
Theodore - July 1, 2010 at 9:58am
Steve, doesn't like to pay licensing fees... Same thing that happens with Flash is happening with Blu-Ray... And having a Blu-Ray drive is not about buying HD movies and viewing them on a laptop. Is also about backups on a 25GB or a 50GB disc. I am a Mac user since system 6 and what i am afraid of, is that one day, we'll see a version of a closed OS X version that will run what Steve and his buddies will approve... This will be the day that i will leave the Mac for ever...
olgv
olgv - July 1, 2010 at 6:46am
Steve become more and more an idiot... I sort of swallowed the Adobe Flash thing and other kind of Apple's "advices"... SINCE they are barely able to do a F^*KING WORKING THING, all their new stuff are more and more shit.. since he sell us this bullshit ideology of what we need and what we don't need... In order for them to "re-invent" it later one... I appreciate Apple products and I'm over had of them ... but I start thinking seriously on switching...
Telia
Telia - July 1, 2010 at 3:44am
Apple are being nonsensical about this issue, sure there are alternative internet based streaming options but most of these have poor media libraries in comparison to the current Blu-Ray selection and most are only available in the US. This leaves customers in other countries where the online media contents isn't very developed with no chance of getting hold of decent HD movies (legally at least). Furthermore, I'm convinced that Apple wants to steer customers towards the iTunes store instead and so sees Blu-Ray as a competitor. They don't want you using anything other than iTunes and spending your money there
C
C - July 1, 2010 at 1:48am
I don't care if I have bluray on my computer, but if I wanted to use it as a DVD/bluray player for my TV then I suppose it would be nice.
samK
samK - July 1, 2010 at 12:35am
let's face it, YOU DON'T NEED BLU-RAY. stream some 1080p and call it a very good night. what we need is faster internet at a lower price =].
anon
anon - June 30, 2010 at 11:34pm
for once, I'll give Jobs the point in this case. Tangible media is dying out.
Wrong
Wrong - June 30, 2010 at 11:23pm
Not said too often ... Steve is wrong.