Faulkner County Prosecuting Attorney Cody Hiland said the FBI agreed to the request from his office and the Conway Police Department Wednesday afternoon. A judge on Tuesday agreed to postpone the trial of 18-year-old Hunter Drexler so prosecutors could ask the FBI for help. Drexler's trial was moved from next week to June 27.
Hunter Drexler (18) and Justin Staton (15) are accused of killing Rober and Patricia Cogdell at their home in Conway. The Cogdells had raised Staton as a grandson.Drexler and Staton have both pleaded not guilty to capital murder, aggravated robbery and other charges in the deaths of the couple, who were both 66. Both Drexler and Staton have pleaded not guilty.
Drexler's attorney Patrick Benca confirmed that the FBI had agreed to help unlock his client's iPhone but said, "We're not concerned about anything on that phone."
Staton's defense attorney was order to hand over the teen's iPod last week after prosecutors said recorded phone conversations between Staton and others indicated that the device was used to communicate about homicide plans.
The FBI recently withdrew its case against Apple over unlocking the iPhone belonging to one of the San Bernardino shooters. It's believed that Israeli firm Cellebrite assisted the FBI in unlocking the device. It appears that the FBI doesn't plan on sharing the unlocking method with Apple and instead will use it to help prosecutors unlock iPhones.