Messages and calls from friends and family using Instagram will stay in your Instagram app. The main change is that people using the Messenger app can now reach you on Instagram without you needing to download a new app, and vice versa. You can also control where you receive messages and calls, such as in your chats, in your message requests or not at all.
Here are the features coming soon to the new Messenger experience on Instagram:
● Communicate Across Apps: Seamlessly connect with friends and family across Instagram and Messenger by using either app to send messages and join video calls.
● Watch Together: Enjoy watching videos on Facebook Watch, IGTV, Reels (coming soon!), TV shows, movies, and more with friends and family during a video call.
● Vanish Mode: Choose a mode where seen messages disappear after they’re seen or when you close the chat.
● Selfie Stickers: Create a series of boomerang stickers with your selfie to use in conversation.
● Chat Colors: Personalize your chats with fun color gradients.
● Custom Emoji Reactions: Create a shortcut of your favorite emojis to react quickly to messages from friends.
● Forwarding: Easily share great content with up to five friends or groups.
● Replies: Respond directly to a specific message in your chat and keep the conversation flowing.
● Animated Message Effects: Add visual flair to your message with animated send effects.
● Message Controls: Decide who can message you directly, and who can’t message you at all.
● Enhanced Reporting and Blocking Updates: Now you can report full conversations in addition to single messages on Instagram, and receive proactive blocking suggestions across Instagram and Messenger when you add your accounts in the new Accounts Center.
Facebook also notes that users will now have more control over their privacy and safety. You can manage whether message requests go to your Chats list, your Message Requests folder, or whether you receive them at all. There's also tools to report suspicious activity and to block someone across apps.
The new features are rolling out in a few countries around the world and will expand globally soon. You can download Instagram from the App Store for free.