- The A4 is an ARM processor featuring package-on-package construction to improve the speed and efficiency of internal processes.
- The A4 has three layers: Two layers of RAM (Samsung K4X1G323PE), and one layer containing the actual microprocessor.
- This Package-on-Package construction gives Apple the flexibility to source the RAM from any manufacturer they wantthey're not locked into Samsung.
- Having the RAM so close to the processor both reduces latencymaking RAM access fasterand cuts power consumption, helping your battery last longer.
- It's clear from both hardware and software that this is a single core processor, so it must be the ARM Cortex A8, and NOT the rumored multicore A9. (*Engadget contests this point)
- We're guessing that the iPad uses the same PowerVR SGX 535 GPU.