AT&T and Apple Fight Over Data Leakage in iOS 6

AT&T and Apple Fight Over Data Leakage in iOS 6

Mark Chambers - September 19, 2013 at 7:00pm
I'm in Germany using Telekom. I had an iPhone 5, now have a 4S. Using both phones with iOS 6, I have reached my data limit of 300MB within a few days of a new billing cycle—not less than 3 times. No videos, no streaming audio, no app updates over cellular... In every situation it was the same: I used the Maps navigation feature, I ended the navigation, and thereafter, my phone overheated while locked and without anything running (that I knew of), and later, sometime in the middle of the night while I was sleeping, I got a message that I had reached my data limit. So, I've attributed my data leakage to Maps, and specifically when using navigation. Can anyone else confirm this pattern?
YesmeTOO - September 4, 2013 at 7:19pm
Absolutely - after switching my iPhone 3GS to IOS 6 and on two new iPhone 5's as well. The same thing: middle of the night data, no matter what is turned on or off...tripling or quadrupling the supposed data usage per person, with huge overage fees on AT&T. Now everything on the phones is turned off....we're back in the dark ages. And locked into these contracts.
RH - June 7, 2013 at 3:41pm
I am having this problem. Since I upgrade from a 4S to 5, AT&T has been charging me with excess data charges every month. Seems that even when I am on my home's WiFi, i am getting charged for AT&T's internet service (double charge). Never had that problem with the 4S. I have been working with AT&T's technical department and they claim they never heard of a data leakage problem. I told them to read about it on the Internet. The only solution they have is to manually turn off the AT&T service when you arrive at home. That's it folks - we just took a hugh step backwards...
MCTex - June 5, 2013 at 4:43pm
We're having this problem currently. One of our phones uses very large amounts of data at night. Apples solution was to turn off cellular data, which translates to why have a smart phone (HELLO Apple). We've had it with that last few Apple OS updates on one of our phones, the other is fine. Our contract is up and since Apple and AT&T don't seem to be able to get this resolved we will probably change to another phone and/or provider.
MassiveWanker - June 1, 2013 at 9:08am
Apple refusing to acknowledge a massive bug affecting millions of users?! No... If it's 10,000 users it's not even considering acknowledging. If it's 100,000 affected users it's still just coincidence. When it hits 1,000,000 it's "mass hysteria" and/or a breakout of Lycanthropy that is diseasing the possessed minds of the hoard. When do they give a s***? When it starts hitting major news outlets. Bad publicity. That's all they care about. False image and then ignore customers. Their user-help-user disaster of a support forum is rife with frustration and clenched fists, but that's the way the game works. It worked for O.J. right? As Chris Rock said, "you gotta stick with your lie!" Protocol: Ignore everything until the outcry becomes a mob scene. Deny the problem exists until you cannot hold out any longer. Admit it could, maybe, possibly be an issue- but it only affects about people, likely, so it's not a problem worth fixing. Ease in a little more and say again that it possibly could affect up to 25 users. Once millions of users are carrying expensive bricks, call your customers whining bitches and agree to fix the problem. Take 6 months to 1 year to release said fix. Ensure the "fix" breaks more than it fixes. Repeat cycle. I'm being facetious obviously but honestly that's not too damn far off from reality!
WeirdDataLeakage - June 1, 2013 at 3:51am
Some satellite-data companies, like WildBlue, have something called "LNFZ" or "Late Night Free Zone". During this time, there are free, unmetered upload and download usage from satellites in space. This unmetered time is between 12 midnight - 5 a.m. every night. If iOS is programmed to push or pull data late at night, maybe Apple and the carriers can negotiate a LNFZ window similar to what WildBlue does for their customers.
WeirdDataLeakage - June 1, 2013 at 3:48am
You'd think that AT&T would perform due dillegence, and not count data transfer to Apple servers. Likely it's iCloud syncing your data, or perhaps downloading a iOS update. Who knows. All I know is that my iPhone works fine, and if I go over data, I still get email, which is all I *really* need. If your looking to switch, consider SimpleMobile. It's $20 less than TMobile for the same service. At $50 a month, you get unlimited everything, including data. SimpleMobile uses TMobile service and towers. I got my phone unlocked on eBay for under $5.00. It's prepaid so if by some chance it doesn't work for you, your not in a long-term contract.
mike - May 31, 2013 at 2:51pm
I have Tmobile iphone 5 and noticed same thing on my data usage. At one point I had 273 mbs at 6am.
Solomon - May 31, 2013 at 1:36pm
I used almost three times the data with my iPhone 5. Than I did with my I Phone 4 with AT&T.
Jay - May 31, 2013 at 12:38pm
I have had iPhone since the first one. The change from 2G to 3G to now LTE is really the only increas eI have seen. The higher the speed, more data I was able to use. But since I don't tether quite often, my data usage has remained the same in the last 2 years to under 5Gb (2-3Gb). I'm on a nother carrier, I'd have to guess that AT&T is the issue, as we are talking about billing. Garbage in, garbage out... if your network does not properly compile the call records, you won't have an accurate bill. What if some AT&T user across the country were to use modems to send precisely 100mb of data, and compare their bill?